bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 18th Jun 2013, 17:28   #1
Luciel
Lamptron Europe

Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Project OSLB Colyn V2 (Old School Lan Box) (Updated: 22-06-13)

Hi Everyone,

While I wait for parts and certain bits & bobs for my current little scratch mod Crimson Server Desk Module and having a few days with a bit of extra time I figured Iīd do something else, so, I thought Iīd finish a little project from over a year and a half ago that I never finished due to moving on to something different.

That project was OSLB Colyn, the idea behind this casemod was to house my secondary pc, the one I tend to take to local and/or small Lans. For refference this was how the case originally looked like:

and here are some pictures of what more or less it looked like before I put it aside.

At first I thought of just finishing it but having it in my workspace for this long just sitting there... letīs just say time hadnīt been good to it. Furthermore I wasnīt very happy with how some things turned out on it so... decision is to start it from scratch, keeping some features and changing others.

This is the state it was in...

As you can see, not great :S

So, first step is to sand down the whole thing, get rid of the lacquer and the superficial paint and essentially leave it smooth for a fresh coat of primer, paint and lacker, so after a couple of hours, here it is, all sanded down.

The first change I want to make is fill up the old floppy opening in this case (yes it was a very old case, the owner that donated it mentioned it was a Compaq P4 machine), originally I wanted to add a cylon like light in there but I donīt longer care for that idea. So filler comes out and here goes the first coat.

While that dries up a bit, I aplied primer and after the first coat of silver (yes, I really do like the silver I did originally so Iīm keeping that style) to both side panels.

While that dried I aplied the second coat of filler:

And now, itīs time to leave it to dry till tomorrow so I can sand it down then.

Thatīs it for now, thanks for reading!

Last edited by Luciel; 22nd Jun 2013 at 21:22.
Luciel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2013, 18:14   #2
Luciel
Lamptron Europe

Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Luciel - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Todayīs update!

With the filler dry, I went on to what would become a couple of hours of sanding and this is how it turned out.

I went ahead and gave the sidepanels the second coat of "dirty silver" (actual color name, with a name like that I just had to get it).

Iīve decided on giving this case a battle-worn look, then again, it wouldnīt be a project of mine if it didnīt have ageing would it? I think itīs becoming a trademark of my projects, is it wrong that I donīt care for clean-looking projects? Not that I donīt like them (eyecandy!) I just donīt care to do them myself (even thought I have done a couple in the past) so I gave the initial signs and also prepped the top of the case and aplied a coat of primer to it.

While this time round Iīm not "obsessing" about giving it a Cylon look, "Bad Fenny" from over at Overclock suggested that the shape of the case really ressembles the center of a raider from the remake of BSG.

And that comined that with the sidepanel bullet holes it reminded him of the raider named "Scar". I really liked that concept so I figured, hell, letīs give it that frontal "Scar" look (thanks Bad Fenny!"). So what I did is start with superficial bullet trail that eventually goes deeper so only a part of the scar goes completely through (might add some red illumination under it at a later stage).

So thatīs all for today folks!
Old 19th Jun 2013, 19:18   #3
Azariel
Multimodder

Azariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for presidentAzariel should be considered for president
Very nice start/continuation! Curious about what color & aging you will use!
Azariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2013, 14:52   #4
Luciel
Lamptron Europe

Colour wise Iīm going towards the original unfinished mod which is silver and black, except this time Iīll be using matt black.

Ageing, youīll have to wait and see
Old 20th Jun 2013, 15:11   #5
LegendaryScott
Trying to live up to the name

LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LegendaryScott is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Beautiful painting skills mate!
Making it look like scar would be awesome, It really does look like the top of a raider.
I'm glad you covered up that floppy hole!

Looking forward to see your progress
PROJECT#001 - ON EXTENDED HIATUS DUE TO NEW BABY!!
LegendaryScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2013, 20:48   #6
Luciel
Lamptron Europe

Cheers Legendary

Small update today as Iīve been busy with a different project.

Finished sanding the front and gave everything their final silver coats. Tomorrow, I start with the secondary color (matt black), tear and wear effects and eventually ageing effects.

Thanks for reading!
Old 21st Jun 2013, 10:54   #7
matiss
Multimodder

matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.matiss is definitely a rep cheat.
Interested to see what comes next. Nice idea and i like the scar reference
Old 22nd Jun 2013, 21:26   #8
Luciel
Lamptron Europe

Small update today as Iīve been working on different mods.

Ok so, case preped for the secondary color, matt black.

Both black coats aplied.

Unfortunately thatīs all for today!
Old 27th Jun 2013, 01:34   #9
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
Wowza, that case is seriously old school! Can't wait to see how this pans out.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote

View Mode