bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 27th Jan 2013, 18:31   #1
mx0forever
Minimodder

mx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
scratch build cnc table (plasma and router)

well i finally got round to building a cnc table .

i have had the idea for some years now, but when i got a decent drill-press i discovered the vibrations when milling .., so that put me off for a while.,
but now i have invested in a plasma cutter , and the cnc table is planned to be mainly used with the plasma ( and as the plasma doesn't really touch the working surface , so there will be no vibrations )

but i am building the table strong enough so that sometime in the hopefully near future i can install a high speed router and mill some wood and hopefully even aluminium..

the key features i am planning

4 stepper motors 425oz
controllers ect are from ebay ( china )
software will be mach 3, on some old computer i have layng around
several PSUs

all of the rails will be angled iron and small ball bearings
the "drive" will be threaded rod ( M10 ) until i can afford acme or some other fancy stuff
all will be build out of steel and welded / bolted together
work area will be approximately 120*80*20-30 cm ( at the moment only like 5-6cm instead of 20-30 )

at the moment im studying,
so the budget and time , are minimal ..
and this is my first thread ..,

( and as some people migth notice, my native language is not english , english isn't even my second language, its third ...)

but im known for making something out of nothing ...

current progress:

built by : my hands
sponsored by : my wallet

Last edited by mx0forever; 17th Mar 2013 at 16:53.
mx0forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2013, 18:45   #2
mx0forever
Minimodder

mx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitmx0forever is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
And here come the first pictures of the weekends work :

testing the smoothness ect with some weight ( 40 kg , to be exact)

the material for the main frame 5*5 cm square box

cutting :

these are the raild for the x-axis

just love the plasma , here im slicing through 80*10mm flat steel, lite a hot knife thorugh butter

all that driling resulted :

the adjustment for the x-axis

the dolley 1 of 2 for the x-axis

Old 27th Jan 2013, 19:55   #3
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Awesomely heavy duty. I'd hate to have to use that adjustment system, though. I have a saw someone knocked out of true, and I've yet to get it straight.
I think the first thing you need to make are precision-fit replacement parts.

For cnc plasma cutter.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2013, 20:22   #4
mx0forever
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapskate View Post
Awesomely heavy duty. I'd hate to have to use that adjustment system, though. I have a saw someone knocked out of true, and I've yet to get it straight.
I think the first thing you need to make are precision-fit replacement parts.

For cnc plasma cutter.
hehe well i might but ,first i have to get the basics going , then i can make more precise parts
and when you weld metal it tends to heat warp.., so i cant really get rid of the adjustment systems all togehter
Old 27th Jan 2013, 21:57   #5
morgansk
I've got wood

morgansk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Cool - I love a bit of Heavy Metal.
morgansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2013, 19:53   #6
mx0forever
Minimodder

time for the second bash of pictures ..
the x rails are in place , as are the dolleys , and the y-rail

the holes behind these 2 bolts are big, so that i have even some more adjustment
( planning to weld in set skrews so the adjustment will be even easier )

as usual , im testing the smoothness with my little weight

and a view from above..

you need a good set of balls (in your bearings) to build an awsome cnc machine
( i got a 50 pack from ebay dirt cheap )

the top slider for the y axis

got lucky the first time ( the bearings touched the pipe right in the middle .. )

if it does not fit, then i'll make it fit!

small distances to clear the lower square pipe..

working alone sometimes 2 hands are not enough

now one problem i really didn't expect.., the top piece for the y-rail, is as solid as a cheap ruler.., flexel like crazy.., which mean that when the y dolley gets to the middle it loosens up.., NOT GOOD ..

looking around , looking around ,, that will do :

test it :

works like a charm .., ( i will do 3 much better ones before i get the machine running , just to really keep it as steady as a rock.. )

now im trying to figure out how to do with the final adjustment system for the z axis.., continue woth the tried and proven system that im using or try something new ...
Old 28th Jan 2013, 20:01   #7
Editor22
E22.BIZ

Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Editor22 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Well I have serious CNC envy right now!

This is epic!
Editor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2013, 20:05   #8
mx0forever
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post
Well I have serious CNC envy right now!

This is epic!
Thank You!

i know how you feel , i have been wanting to build one for years, and have been searching the web looking at great machines for ideas.., finally got round to building ..
Old 29th Jan 2013, 08:21   #9
dreps
Multimodder

dreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldreps has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
looks very promising

good job so far
dreps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2013, 13:13   #10
dream1
Multimodder

dream1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Wow that looks heavy.
But starting to look good.
dream1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2013, 16:46   #11
mx0forever
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream1 View Post
Wow that looks heavy.
But starting to look good.
Tänan

( isegi eestlasi leidub siin )
Old 29th Jan 2013, 16:59   #12
that_du^de
give your head a wobble

that_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
this looks good! that threaded pipe part and the brass support for the z axis will work,but only short term as its not fixed. however looking at the parts you could make a strong support
mount with Adjustment out of them! if you flip the brass part and profile the contact point to match the bar(scafold?) you also have a nut on the bottom and this can be used to lift it up or down.
mozart tx case(11x120mm fans),intel i7 920@4ghz(20x200)1.28v,asus rampage extreme 2,6gig corsair ram(3x2gig),2xati hd5870 crossfire,titan fenrir hsf,enermax revolution 1250w psu,1x120gig ssd 4x1tb hdd,x-fi elite pro soundcard,dell 2405fpw 24"lcd,zboard merc k/board,cyborg rat 7 mouse,win7 64bit
that_du^de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2013, 19:32   #13
mx0forever
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_du^de View Post
this looks good! that threaded pipe part and the brass support for the z axis will work,but only short term as its not fixed. however looking at the parts you could make a strong support
mount with Adjustment out of them! if you flip the brass part and profile the contact point to match the bar(scafold?) you also have a nut on the bottom and this can be used to lift it up or down.
am, not hanging with you at all here..,

if you are refering to the brass water pipe coupling you saw in the pictures , then it was just a temporary support for the y rails ( they flexed... ) , the permanent pieces are done and about to be uploaded..,
Old 29th Jan 2013, 19:40   #14
mx0forever
Minimodder

time for a smaller update..

the electrical system in my workshop is good, but a bit weak when it comes to running the plasma .., ( i have already blown a handful of fuses )
so it was time for plan b ( which was the idea alla along anyway )

me, welding ....

im no welding god.., but it will hold..( thats enough for me )

this is how i clean and polish the rails, to give the bearns as smooth of a surface as possible to run on..

the small pipes aren't flar on the top, ( they are slightly ?beweld? )

i belewe that i will do the same type of supports for the x rails ( they seem to flex just a bit .., )
Old 29th Jan 2013, 21:04   #15
that_du^de
give your head a wobble

that_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitthat_du^de is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
thats more or less what i was on about, you now have adjustment to take up eny sag along the axis. good work!
mozart tx case(11x120mm fans),intel i7 920@4ghz(20x200)1.28v,asus rampage extreme 2,6gig corsair ram(3x2gig),2xati hd5870 crossfire,titan fenrir hsf,enermax revolution 1250w psu,1x120gig ssd 4x1tb hdd,x-fi elite pro soundcard,dell 2405fpw 24"lcd,zboard merc k/board,cyborg rat 7 mouse,win7 64bit
that_du^de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 19:21   #16
mx0forever
Minimodder

The electronics have arrived !!!

4 x 425oz stepper motors
4 x dm542a stepper drivers
2 x 36v 10A psu
and a breakout board..

ofcorse i had to test this out right away so i got my old pc running .., and for some reason the mouse was dead..

"best before 2015",,, my a$$

and as i menstioned , this machine will be running a router sometime in the future.., and as i was picking up some stuff from the hardware store i saw this ( at like 60% discount )

also i got some "scarp" metal from the local junkyard

cutting freehand ... who needs a cnc ??

oh, right.. i do..

making sure the beginning of the z axix is level

smoking hot stuff this..

this is how i take care of the threads on all the alingment nuts..

Old 1st Feb 2013, 16:27   #17
mx0forever
Minimodder

now this is how a proper electronics testing should look like

then you know that you are doing it "DIY"

the motors, im having slight trouble with one of them at the moment.

when i dont have the right bolts on hand then i just make them..

the idea is to stop the pipe for the y-axis flexing, by triangulaiting it

the idea is to get rid of any wobble in the connections

even the x rails flexed when they were'nt suppose to.., not anymore..

the beginnings of the z dolley

and a handful of washers later:

dosen't anybody reading have any comments?
Old 1st Feb 2013, 18:03   #18
Elledan
Hypermodder

Elledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run CrysisElledan can run Crysis
So far my impressions involve 'wow, it's big', to 'it's kinda rusty', to 'it'll be awesome to see it working'
"Psychology is just meta-hacking an OS that was randomly bashed out by a million monkeys on typewriters over a few billion years and runs on constantly changing, badly shielded hardware with a lot of legacy design issues. I think." - Nexxo
www.mayaposch.com - my site and blog.
www.nyanko.ws - my company's site.
Elledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 12:51   #19
mx0forever
Minimodder

time for another update..

i have no idea how but i managed to get a PERFECT fit.

the bearing support

now this is the break out board.., ( or the only piece bare electronics..)
and what will come next is a temporary mount for it ( until i get starded on the control box for the whole machine )

sensitive computer loving readers may want to look away now..

a well used old HDD:

homemade zero backlash nut..

flushed in the bolts holdig the nut for the z-axis

temporary motor mount ( there will be some sort of belt connection later on , hopefully )

attempt no.1 for the motor connection..

attempt no.2 for the motor connection..

( both failed )

the 5v source for the breakout board

the software running , and testing the z axis..

have you ever seen this much power!

Old 3rd Feb 2013, 12:55   #20
mx0forever
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elledan View Post
So far my impressions involve 'wow, it's big', to 'it's kinda rusty', to 'it'll be awesome to see it working'
well :
"go big or go home"
rusti just shows that this is not just some fancy kit you buy , " built , not bought!!"
im even more anxious to get it running !

Tags
cnc, homemade, plasma, router, table

View Mode