bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Jan 2013, 09:26   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/sto...256gb-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2013, 09:41   #2
barrkel
Multimodder

barrkel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The most interesting thing in these results, to my eyes, is the OCZ Vector's results in BootRacer. They've probably been in past reviews, but this is the first time I saw them.

Single-task benchmarks like sequential and random read and write clearly don't model the boot process well. That's a mix of random and sequential reads and writes. The drives are black boxes containing cache and logic; probe them with such simplistic tests, and it's reasonably easy for the logic to detect the test, and optimize cache for that use case. Assuming the logic can do this, all the benchmarks are testing then is the raw speed of the underlying hardware. The smartness of the logic itself is not being tested.

For example, in a read benchmark, no cache need be reserved for buffering writes; and vice versa.

But real-world use cases have a mixed set of reads and writes, of varying sizes. That's where the real test of the logic comes in. The logic needs to make hard decisions about how much cache to keep spare, and which to spend on optimizing reads vs writes. And it's likely that one drive which is best for boot times won't be as good as the best drive for launching apps, and that won't be the best one for a database cache.

We need better benchmarks. These benchmarks are too easy to game, and risk rewarding market to inferior products.
barrkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2013, 10:10   #3
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
A prime SSD for modding and use in tiny builds methinks!
Old 28th Jan 2013, 12:45   #4
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well, that and the photo showing that a 250Gb SSD fits in only a third the space of a standard 2.5 inch drive area!
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2013, 13:51   #5
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So much money for a 3cm x 6cm strip of electronics inside a large empty box....
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2013, 18:40   #6
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]So much money for a 3cm x 6cm strip of electronics inside a large empty box....
And yet it's competitvely priced. I remember when the first round of SSDs came out in 2008/9 and they were worth close to their weight in gold. Mental, but then look at CPUs! almost nothing to them, but some are worth Thousands. its what it can do you for in the that you pay for, not what it is.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2013, 23:12   #7
MSHunter
Mod Master

MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.MSHunter is definitely a rep cheat.
Makes you wonder why mSATA is so much slower....
That and it would be cool if you could plug this guy directly too your motherboard.

PC Audio: AKG 271 mk II + Samson Go mic. + Asus Xonar D2X
Amp: DENON PMA510AE, Speakers: TANNOY MERCURY F1
MSHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 03:05   #8
toolio20
Modder

toolio20 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Whoa whoa whoa, wait...what TRIM "command" is the author referring to on the second page? I thought TRIM ran somewhat automatically, cued up when files are permanently deleted...some clarification would be greatly appreciated!
toolio20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 07:11   #9
haggisathome
Supermodder

haggisathome has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhaggisathome has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhaggisathome has yet to learn the way of the Dremelhaggisathome has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark View Post
Well, that and the photo showing that a 250Gb SSD fits in only a third the space of a standard 2.5 inch drive area!

thats what i was thinking , for what it is its tiny ... runs off to open up my 60 gig ssd to see if its the same
haggisathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 07:37   #10
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.Harlequin is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolio20 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, wait...what TRIM "command" is the author referring to on the second page? I thought TRIM ran somewhat automatically, cued up when files are permanently deleted...some clarification would be greatly appreciated!
you can force windows to run TRIM, just as using SSDTweaker can disable it -which is exactly what was written on page 2
Old 31st Jan 2013, 18:00   #11
Acanuck
Modder

Acanuck has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not to be a grammar Nazi or anything, but the sentence:
"first allowing five restarts to allow Windows 7 to get it's caching together"
under the BootRacer section, should read
"first allowing five restarts to allow Windows 7 to get its caching together."

Otherwise, sound review. Glad bit-tech take benchmarking so seriously.
Acanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 18:44   #12
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.Dogbert666 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acanuck View Post
Not to be a grammar Nazi or anything, but the sentence:
"first allowing five restarts to allow Windows 7 to get it's caching together"
under the BootRacer section, should read
"first allowing five restarts to allow Windows 7 to get its caching together."
Good spot! Fixed now, cheers.
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 23:52   #13
toolio20
Modder

toolio20 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
you can force windows to run TRIM, just as using SSDTweaker can disable it -which is exactly what was written on page 2
Ahhhhh, page 2...yessss, I see now. I jumped straight to the "TRIM" section on the summary page. Thanks for the asked-for clarification!
toolio20 is offline   Reply With Quote