bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 30th Jan 2013, 09:45   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Razer BlackShark review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/per...shark-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 11:05   #2
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I have to say I hate inline controllers as I have my settings within arms reach so the idea of a headset that I can use with both my PC and my iPhone actually sounds very enticing.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 11:17   #3
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I have to say I hate inline controllers as I have my settings within arms reach so the idea of a headset that I can use with both my PC and my iPhone actually sounds very enticing.
And the best part is you can run around the streets when using it with your iPhone pretending to be a helicopter pilot
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 11:20   #4
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I was thinking around the flat flying my lego helicopter....
Old 30th Jan 2013, 12:20   #5
edzieba
Supermodder

edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.edzieba is definitely a rep cheat.
The lack of an integrated USB soundcard might even be a relief: this is Razer. Do you really want to have to connect to the internet to use the volume control on your headset?
edzieba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 12:35   #6
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I have the Razer Carcharis (or something). Picked it because it doesn't use leather cups. Hate them. If they were to fail, I don't think these would be the replacement. They look a little silly.
Old 30th Jan 2013, 14:28   #7
Muerlin
What's a Dremel?

Muerlin has yet to learn the way of the DremelMuerlin has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
2 parts of the review I liked:
Build Quality
Subjective Sound Quality

The responsiveness of the bass seems to be muddy from what I gathered out of the review. Were they tested with a decent amp to see if that cleared anything?
Muerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 15:50   #8
sear
Multimodder

sear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for presidentsear should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba
The lack of an integrated USB soundcard might even be a relief: this is Razer. Do you really want to have to connect to the internet to use the volume control on your headset?
I have to wonder why bit-tech do not critique Razer's new DRM more. I guess they don't want to get daddy angry and cut off their stream of free review samples? Honestly I think the DRM is damn near a deal-breaker for almost any gamer and if I were responsible it would take a full 50% off the score.

Also: screw gaming headsets. Go buy yourself a pair of $100-200 studio monitors and enjoy audio far, far beyond what any "performance gear" can offer. This is just blingy, cheap crap for kids.
sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 16:43   #9
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post

Also: screw gaming headsets. Go buy yourself a pair of $100-200 studio monitors and enjoy audio far, far beyond what any "performance gear" can offer. This is just blingy, cheap crap for kids.
Part of the reason I have gone for a "gaming" headset is because of the price point, a 40 headset with a decent mic in it that I can use for 8-10 hours without getting uncomfortable is very important for me. I appreciate that the sound isn't that great, and I like that they let in lots of outside noise, so I can still be spoken to while wearing them.

However I do think that these gaming headsets are evolving past their realistic price point now, as part of the allure was that they were cheap enough that they can be taken to a LAN without fear.
Old 30th Jan 2013, 18:00   #10
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muerlin View Post
2 parts of the review I liked:
Build Quality
Subjective Sound Quality

The responsiveness of the bass seems to be muddy from what I gathered out of the review. Were they tested with a decent amp to see if that cleared anything?
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if I'd call the bass muddy as such, it's more the mid-range that gets a little mushy (technical lingo I know) because of the bass overpowering it. Higher quality sound card tests didn't seem to change this much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sear View Post
I have to wonder why bit-tech do not critique Razer's new DRM more. I guess they don't want to get daddy angry and cut off their stream of free review samples? Honestly I think the DRM is damn near a deal-breaker for almost any gamer and if I were responsible it would take a full 50% off the score.
We haven't looked at a product from Razer in over 18 months and as this headset is not a USB device it couldn't care less whether it's connected to an online device or not.
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 19:03   #11
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I have eagerly been awaiting these, since I fell in love with the looks the instant I laid my eyes on them.
They look amazing!
BUT, the price is too damn high! /meme.
I wouldn't be able to justify the price, when I have a perfectly functioning steelseries siberia headset, but with a missing mic.
So I bought a Corsair Vengeance 1100 headset and I must say that they are exceptional! Especially for the price.
Old 30th Jan 2013, 19:39   #12
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I don't see what advantage the fancy mic has over a plastic affair and my thinking is a lot of the cost is to pay for it.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 19:51   #13
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
I'm buying two!
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 20:00   #14
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnituens
I have the Razer Carcharis (or something). Picked it because it doesn't use leather cups. Hate them. If they were to fail, I don't think these would be the replacement. They look a little silly.
This. Had the same for 3-4 years now and they are top notch. Can be worn for hours and hours without discomfort and very good sound quality for the 50 quid I got them for..

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2013, 22:32   #15
ShinyAli
Supermodder

ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Do Razer still use the cloud system to save your gaming preferences for supported mice and keyboards, that's why they required internet access.

It seems a pretty stupid idea when Logitech do the same thing by storing the info using onboard mouse/k/board memory so take your mouse/k/board to a LAN and you have your settings and game profiles, simple
ShinyAli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 01:17   #16
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
@ShinyAli, yes they do and its the one reason why i didn't buy a Razer mouse recently, Good job this headset does not require that to.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 02:39   #17
ssj12
Hypermodder

ssj12 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear
Quote:
Originally Posted by edzieba

I like Razer's piece of software. It just merged the software for my Keyboard and mouse into one. And has an auto-updater for the firmware. Why have two different pieces of software for macros and key bindings when you can have one?
ssj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2013, 11:33   #18
Pot Of Jam
Modder

Pot Of Jam has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have these headphones for about 5 months and I love everything about them.

I brought a small volume control lead that I plug in to my M17x to adjust the volume, and have set up a mute button on my razor BWU to mute the mic... not hard to figure out really. Granted it is annoying but just look at them... if you dont make machine gun noises while wearing them then your having fun wrong.
Pot Of Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2013, 11:41   #19
Lance
Ender of discussions.

I have to say I'm very tempted. But why does the trim have to be lime green? White trim and I would have bought them already.