bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 31st Jan 2013, 07:28   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Mind the multiplayer gap

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/gaming/...ltiplayer-gap/
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 08:06   #2
zebby2k
What's a Dremel?

zebby2k has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Here here!!!! Last time I made "The Jump" was a westwood game called NOX - sat atop the UK ladder for a fair while. Couldnt play on the US ladder as the lag at the time made it impossible - I think that was back in the days of 56k Modems!!!
zebby2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 08:55   #3
IanW
Grumpy Old Git

IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.IanW is definitely a rep cheat.
I too dislike multiplayer games, but then I'm an anti-social old git!
IanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 09:25   #4
wuyanxu
still wants Homeworld 3

wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.wuyanxu is definitely a rep cheat.
The problem is if you want to jump the gap, the requirement is that need to be lacking 2 of the following:
-full time job
-girlfriend
-social life

I was over there once, on it every night, fearsome with my VSS, admining Bit-tech's server. That was when I just got a full time job, didn't have a social life or girlfriend.

Now I have all 3, I am on the casual side of the gap. Don't really want to jump into multiplayer games anymore, knowing I'll have my backside handed to me on a well dressed plate. Single player game and occasional Super Smash Bros / Mario Kart with friends is all I do.

still yet to finish Black Mesa........
Old 31st Jan 2013, 09:38   #5
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW View Post
I too dislike multiplayer games, but then I'm an anti-social old git!
Which automatically makes us friends, but friends who will rarely speak to one another or acknowledge the friendship.

On and wuyanxu, one thing trumps all of the above - children. The prospect of regular interruptions day and night makes multiplayer a big no-no.
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:10   #6
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
one thing trumps all of the above - children. The prospect of regular interruptions day and night makes multiplayer a big no-no.
I know that one. trying to play multiplayer when my nephew and niece are around is a nightmare "Uncle Mark, can you pause that for a minute?, Can you put a dvd on for me?"

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:10   #7
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
The problem is if you want to jump the gap, the requirement is that need to be lacking 2 of the following:
-full time job
-girlfriend
-social life

I was over there once, on it every night, fearsome with my VSS, admining Bit-tech's server. That was when I just got a full time job, didn't have a social life or girlfriend.

Now I have all 3, I am on the casual side of the gap. Don't really want to jump into multiplayer games anymore, knowing I'll have my backside handed to me on a well dressed plate. Single player game and occasional Super Smash Bros / Mario Kart with friends is all I do.

still yet to finish Black Mesa........
Totally agree - I'm in the same position, but I do still make the time for some BF3! Just don't have much time for anything else!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:26   #8
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I think half the reason I love Half-Life so much is that there's nobody pushing me towards multiplayer. I'd love to play Portal 2's co-op but don't want to play with a stranger and have no friends I can arrange the time with.

Back to Zelda I guess...
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:26   #9
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
only multiplayer i play for the first time in my life is starcraft 2 and now planetside. planetside is little different since there is so many ppl, u dont feel sould crushing fail as much. SC2 u do tho :P

i still play the old school way of arrow keys, num.0 for jump, num1 to crouch, etc.

ironically i need the gaps by my arrow keys keyboard to feel comfortable enough to play so i can try and avoid the the gap from the article. :-)
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:29   #10
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Fortunately for me the only multiplayer game I ever play is TF2 and despite being no where near my peak a few years ago its still casual enough and luck based that I can pick it up after not played any games for a few months and be competitive on public servers. Never did get into "competitive" play.

Oh forgot about Altitude, but the plane_ball maps are just a free for all!
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:44   #11
Petrol head
Modder

Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Petrol head - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty View Post
Which automatically makes us friends, but friends who will rarely speak to one another or acknowledge the friendship.

On and wuyanxu, one thing trumps all of the above - children. The prospect of regular interruptions day and night makes multiplayer a big no-no.
Completely agree. I find it hard to get into more atmospheric games for the same reason. I know I have 30 minutes at best before one of them wakes up. I even build PC's during the night just to avoid my little darlings.

(I love them all really)

That took me a lot of saving with a wife and 4 young boys!!
Petrol head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:53   #12
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
I just play pong nowadays

The circle is complete.
Old 31st Jan 2013, 10:54   #13
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
There's these things called MMORPGs that are multiplayer on the one side and don't require lot's of time on the other side.

Stop thinking FPS or RTS, where you need to invest lots of time to get good at or to train for. There's tons of casual MMORPGs, where you can hop in for an hour or two and just have some fun.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 11:07   #14
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Only game I've ever tried to take seriously is TF2, and for that there are enough competitive levels for most people who want to try it to have a real go

I understand what you mean, no other game has made me want to try and take it more seriously, it's also one of the few multiplayer games I play.
Old 31st Jan 2013, 12:37   #15
Omnituens
Hypermodder

Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Omnituens is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Freaking Himmelsdorf.
Old 31st Jan 2013, 12:40   #16
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.
I still prefer the good old days, when having friends over for some 4 player Golden eye. EPIC!!
No hackers, no cheaters, no aim bots etc. just pure skill.

95% of my games I play in single player.
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 13:17   #17
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
I think what really bugs me about trying to step your game up is the never ending torrent of abuse or urine extraction because of a mistake, there's only so many times you can take "you ****king idiot" or screams of "noob" before it gets off putting and you begin to give up.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 13:40   #18
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
This article didn't turn out how I expected but was still an interesting read.

Personally, I like multiplayer games BUT i don't like it when MP is basically forced on you. I don't want to buy a game with a 5 hour campaign and no other offline mode, not even bots. Not to sound egotistical but most people I play against online aren't worth my time. They're either boringly easy or professional to the point that they've been accused as cheaters. In most online games or even leader board games, i tend to fall in the top 10-15%.

Humans are also surprisingly predictable. I like playing multiplayer matches against bots only because you either need a really good plan or it just takes pure skill to win rather than tactics. Tactics are fine but no plan is good enough if you don't have the skill to carry it out.

My main gripe about the MP games i dislike the most, such as COD or need for speed (the new ones) is they use MP probably because their programmers either suck too much or are too lazy to make a competitive bot. Of course I could be wrong but the short campaign really gives me a "don't care" vibe from the devs.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 13:57   #19
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon
I think what really bugs me about trying to step your game up is the never ending torrent of abuse or urine extraction because of a mistake, there's only so many times you can take "you ****king idiot" or screams of "noob" before it gets off putting and you begin to give up.
i usually try and nuke my partner if they cross the crude and rude line and then say sorry before i drop him again. but that usually only happens once in a while when a really rude ass is on.
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2013, 14:48   #20
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Multi player modes are nothing but a trojan horse for DLC and micro transactions.

It's why I don't play anything but the amazing WWII Mod Forgotten Hope 2.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote