bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 1st Feb 2013, 11:24   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Scythe unveils Ashura cooler with 140 Hayabusa fan

New retaining clip design, clever fan.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...cythe-ashura/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2013, 12:13   #2
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
With so many CPU HS being large tower designs (at least top end air) is there anything more designers can do to get better cooling on air ?
There seems to be very little innovation now days in CPU HS
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2013, 12:24   #3
dogknees
Multimodder

dogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think they've gotten as good as they can for a reasonable cost. It's a bit like convergent evolution where everyone starts off with different, individual idea, but they all end up at almost the same place after a few cycles of optimisation.

I guess there aren't enough people prepared to pay significantly more for air cooling. I'd like to see what the manufacturers could do if they could charge what a good water cooling system costs. What could they do for $200+ I wonder.

Most of the change these days seems to be fiddling about with fan blade shapes, notches, slots,....

I agree, it's getting boring!
dogknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2013, 13:04   #4
kingred
Surfacing sucks!

kingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youkingred - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Cue the stretch Hyabusa jokes!
kingred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2013, 19:57   #5
Kacela
Minimodder

Kacela has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogknees
I think they've gotten as good as they can for a reasonable cost. It's a bit like convergent evolution where everyone starts off with different, individual idea, but they all end up at almost the same place after a few cycles of optimisation.

I guess there aren't enough people prepared to pay significantly more for air cooling. I'd like to see what the manufacturers could do if they could charge what a good water cooling system costs. What could they do for $200+ I wonder.

Most of the change these days seems to be fiddling about with fan blade shapes, notches, slots,....

I agree, it's getting boring!
The only reasonable improvement they could make to an air-cooled setup would be to use silver fins rather than aluminum. Silver is at least 50% higher in terms of thermal conductivity than aluminum, so yes, air-cooling could be made much more efficient within existing architectures, but obviously at a higher cost. I'd easily pay double for a silver finned air-cooled setup if I saw a 50% improvement in cooling efficiency over aluminum...
Kacela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2013, 22:07   #6
sixfootsideburns
modeteer

sixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsixfootsideburns has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacela
The only reasonable improvement they could make to an air-cooled setup would be to use silver fins rather than aluminum. Silver is at least 50% higher in terms of thermal conductivity than aluminum, so yes, air-cooling could be made much more efficient within existing architectures, but obviously at a higher cost. I'd easily pay double for a silver finned air-cooled setup if I saw a 50% improvement in cooling efficiency over aluminum...
or copper... why would any company use a precious metal when they could use copper which is vastly cheaper and has nearly the same thermal conductivity. Silver is typically traded at about $32 USD/troy ounce and copper costs about $4 USD/lb
sixfootsideburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 01:17   #7
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Carve the hole HS from the worlds biggest diamond....
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 01:26   #8
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns
Quote:
or copper... why would any company use a precious metal when they could use copper which is vastly cheaper and has nearly the same thermal conductivity. Silver is typically traded at about $32 USD/troy ounce and copper costs about $4 USD/lb
Well full copper heat sinks do exist, just look at the Thermalright True Copper for example. One major issue though is that copper is much denser than aluminium (8.97gcm^-3 vs 2.70gcm^-3) which leads to incredibly heavy heat sinks that are often simple too impractical to use. Certainly I don't think I'd want to strap on 2KG+ of metal onto my motherboard and CPU without a hefty amount of reinforcement.

Also a major bottleneck is simply air itself, changing the heat sink material honestly wouldn't make that much of a difference. What would make a bigger difference would be the quantity of air passing through, thus being able to remove as much heat as possible. Water cooling works so well mostly because you can have giant radiators that maximise the surface area available, leading to much more cool air being available in comparison to a standard heat sink.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 21:01   #9
brooksy
Supermodder

brooksy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I bought Thermalright True Copper second hand from ebay it weighs a ton. I think I can sell it for scrap and make a fortune.
brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 02:47   #10
dogknees
Multimodder

dogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldogknees has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns
Quote:
Well full copper heat sinks do exist, just look at the Thermalright True Copper for example. One major issue though is that copper is much denser than aluminium (8.97gcm^-3 vs 2.70gcm^-3) which leads to incredibly heavy heat sinks that are often simple too impractical to use. Certainly I don't think I'd want to strap on 2KG+ of metal onto my motherboard and CPU without a hefty amount of reinforcement.

Also a major bottleneck is simply air itself, changing the heat sink material honestly wouldn't make that much of a difference. What would make a bigger difference would be the quantity of air passing through, thus being able to remove as much heat as possible. Water cooling works so well mostly because you can have giant radiators that maximise the surface area available, leading to much more cool air being available in comparison to a standard heat sink.
Agree. More, thinner, copper fins with more airflow/pressure drop across the stack. Ultimately it's the air that has to carry the heat away, so the more air you can move and the greater the surface area, the more heat you can shift. = More $$
dogknees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
140 hayabusa, air cooling, amd, ashura, hayabusa, heatsink, intel, scythe, scythe ashura, static pressure