1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress FBZ's WHS2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Furball Zen, 3 Feb 2013.

1. Furball Zen

Furball Zen Shut up and Mod

New build!

Ive been tossing the idea of throwing together a WHS build using AMD's new FM2 socket APU chips. It doesnt need a lot of horsepower, but ive changed the specs and path this is taking. I know nothing about this mobo but i snagged it off eBay for CHEAP. I cant seem to find ANY images online, all the models have black heatsinks with either black or copper heat pipes.

Parts list:
    Case: Acrylic
    Mobo: DFI LANPARTY DK P45-T2RS PLUS
    CPU: Q6600
    Mem: Corsair CM2x512-5400C4pro
    PSU: Corsair CX430 or other depending on configuration
    Cooling: Zalman CNPS9500
    OS Drive: Seagate ST3250312AS 250GB
    Storage Drives: 4x Seagate ST31000524AS 1 TB in RAID 5.

Because of all the acronyms i decided to name this build: Acronymus.

Enter the drag... er DFI LP DK T2RS, my first DFI Intel board

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Q6600 i snagged for free!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple colors of acrylic that will find its way into the build :)

[​IMG]

Got a sweet idea on what I want to do to the case. If I can get sponsored I'm thinking dual 360 rads in a Sunbeam 9 bay case like I used in another build a few years back using the entire front for an intake but exhausting the rads out the sides. The drives would go in a stack behind them in front of the PSU and there would be a 120mm fan behind them drawing air over the 5 platters. PSU sleeving would be in reverse of Carbide. Video cards would probably be 4850's since the mobo only does dual 8x, unless I find like 3870x2's for a nice price. I would probably at that point find another Antec TPQ-850 to run it.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2014
  2. Furball Zen

Ive been wanting to get this build going but just havent been motivated much even though the stuff has been laying around for what, over a year? So i got a couple ideas and it turns out i didnt have to spend a penny to swap CPU coolers from Blue on Black to Acronymus. I had an AMD 955 cooler laying around mainly for testing purposes (since my main system is water) but figured since its copper itll match the RAM coolers well enough. I didnt sleeve the wires cause im gonna flip it to another case and redo the PSU to a PICO like i did with the mobo from Static X. Ill then use that Logisys case for this build.

I know i could use a larger case, but i dont think i need to. Itll fit ATX (i thought it was mATX) and im not going WC this, at least i dont think so since the Zalman cooler matches the board so freaking well.

Well as usual, threads are useless without pics, so a few i popped today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes. Another orange/yellow/DFI build [​IMG] only this one will be heavier on the orange vs Carbide. Not to worry though, itll have killer sleeving and wire management [​IMG]

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

OMG this is just so happy. I love it !

I really miss DFI :(

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

That's a real nice board, I used to have one - DFI were really an awesome company. it's a shame they went out.

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Looks really nice. DFI were very good at AMD boards back in the day. I also miss Abit boards lol

6. AlienwareAndy

IIRC Abit went down the pan due to a bad board that had issues with lots of GPUs..

It's a shame that board manus have come and gone. I liked QDI boards back in the day. Again though, all it took is one really bad board and you're bang in trouble, especially if that's all you do. I think that's why Corsair have such a diverse range of products now.

I'd love to do a build in these colours. It reminds me of being a little boy and wearing my fluorescent socks :D kicking around on the sofa with my brother and my cousins play fighting hehe them were the days !

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

My 2006 rig had a Abit AW9D-MAX with an E6600 and a X1950XT. Abit were great pioneers of overclocking and were way ahead of their time. More choice of manufacturers would be nice.

8. Furball Zen

Thanks for the comments guys :) I do miss DFI, their absence in the consumer market forced me over to Gigabyte.

So, I sleeved (or rather removed and resleeved) the PSU today (only 12 wires to go for the video card). This is my original one that i got back in 2008 and was going to use when the UFO^3 build was alive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Furball Zen

I sleeved the remaining 12 wires and have been spending the remaining time installing and copying stuff over. Ultimately it would be nice if this machine could replace 3 currently running machines: mail server, web server and Scaleo Home Server.

Bad news is that one of the RAM sticks was bad and I couldnt get it to boot with all of them in, and I couldnt get WHS to install with less than 2 gigs. Took me a while, but I tested every stick of every variant I have in this place and FINALLY I got it to boot with 2 gigs of 1066 XMS2. Good news is that the 5400PRO RAM is CHEAP on eBay and I can get a gig for like $15, only caveat is that its Rev 1.2 and mine is 6.1.

Im using 7 SATA ports too lol. I have four 1 TB storage drives, 250GB OS drive, DVD-ROM and a 40GB Intel X-25m acting at two separate pagefile drives as Windows complained when I wanted to make 39GB of it for pagefile. So I outsmarted it ;)

Im pretty sure at this point im going to install this into the Blue on Black box and luckily I saved the drive boxes from Carbide and I can use all 6 trays. Funny thing I didn't notice is there are 4 screw holes only on ONE side of these cages and it looked like it was for a fan, but I thought 'nah, it couldn't be cause on the Carbide 500R it already has two fans mounted', but sure enough they will fit fans on the side which ironically will be the 'front' of the case so itll work out good. Another piece of bad news is I accidentally stepped on the back panel of the case and stretched the lip that covers the back, I can make it work but it wont look pretty. Oh well, itll keep me from spending another $40 + shipping for a new case that ill just rape lol.

10. Furball Zen

Well, i ripped the drive cages out of the BoB case and to my dismay, it wont work at all. The case is too narrow for the Corsair drive cages and there really is no way to make it work.

However, i did start doing some serious thinking and ive decided to Plasti-Dip the Sunbeam midtower acrylic case i have that i felt was too scratched for a nice build. If i make a booboo, i can pull it off and respray [​IMG] and itll make it easy to make it look like a case with a window rather than a completely clear case. Im only missing one piece for the front fan adapter and i know ive seen it recently, so ill continue to track it down cause ill need it to blow across the four 1TB drives to keep them cool. The only bad thing with this case is it only takes 80mm fans which dont usually push a lot of air, but ill find some that do that wont sound like jet engines lol.

11. Furball Zen

12. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

hmm... DFI based homeserver build with watercooling? i'll watch!!!

and i miss DFI too...

13. AlienwareAndy

Like totally, dude.

Furball Zen likes this.
  14. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

My home server has a £26 sempron CPU lol that i unlocked a second core on and is looking a bit crap in comparison to your DFI build LOL

I had a DFI lan party back in the day and one of them Zalman coolers you have there.

Great boards

15. Furball Zen

Ah sorry, i thought i edited the first post, i decided to take the easy route since i didnt have to shell any out for an air cooler. Sorry to disappoint, but you can enjoy my Carbide worklog (yea, still need to finish the side panel, sigh, life...)

Thanks. +1. Seriously :)

Im lucky to have snagged this board for what i did and i have no problem using 5+ year old hardware when there is not a dang thing wrong with it. No point in spending $1000 on something that is new just 'because'. Thanks for the kind words guys :)