bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Feb 2013, 10:40   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Is it time to bin your optical drive?

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2013/02...optical-drive/
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 10:52   #2
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Unless you can download music and video in its uncompressed format legally through Steam, Amazon and the like, my optical drive is staying.

Buying VBR MP3s which haven't even been normalized is something of a fools errand, especially if you want to get the best out of your speaker or headphone setup.
Old 8th Feb 2013, 10:52   #3
derviansoul
Minimodder

derviansoul has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah i was all for killing the optical drive, until i started reading EULAS and the other agreements about the stuff i bought online, and i realised that i was paying the same for the stuff i had when i bought the optical cds, and the agreements stated in a lot websites, that i didn't own them, that just pissed me off.
The other thing the removal of opticals is creating is the fact that we users buy games/dvds/music and we cant re-sell them anymore for cash.

I think with steam we can sell used games (but its just not the same).

I am subscriber to spotify also, but in the days when i used to buy a cd, i used to cherish that cd, check the lyrics, the artwork in the cds, etc. with spotify not all, music just became a commodity and got myself paying less attention to the music i was listening. Now i just use spotify to discover music, but i go (used to go) to hmv to get a cd and rip a copy with the best quality.

I am all for removing the optical drives, but i am not for a future were we pay the same for the products but we dont own them.
derviansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 10:55   #4
bagman
I Mod, Therefore I Own

bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.bagman is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
No, I still watch the odd film and all my cds would be useless without it (I do have spotify but they don't have def leppard, pink floyd and Led Zepplin). I also still have loads of old games on disc. But I am getting to a point were a external optical drive is easily enough for me. I just find it convenient having a optical drive.
Old 8th Feb 2013, 10:56   #5
suragh
Derp

suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't think I will ever get rid of my optical drive anytime soon. I use it too much to remove it.
Old 8th Feb 2013, 10:59   #6
TheCherub
Hypermodder

TheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run CrysisTheCherub can run Crysis
Whilst ripping music to a hard drive is quite handy, the idea that I would then throw out my ODD does rather hinge on the idea that I would be stopping buying CDs at this point, which is really not going to happen any time soon.
TheCherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:03   #7
Ayrto
Supermodder

Ayrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for president
The end of physical media would be terrible .

For starters, next gen games are likely to be Blu-ray only and the drives are rumoured to be quad layer capable, in order to be 4k compatible i.e. BDXL128GB , gonna DL that on Steam or Netflix?

Second, the quality of 1080p streamed movies is nowhere near as good as high bitrate 1080p blu-ray . Quite why anyone would buy hi-end AV equipment only to watch streamed movies is beyond me. The hi compression does the higher res no favours at all.

Of course, USB or some new tech would be better, but the price of 50GB -100GB of standalone content on USB isn't going to be practical any time soon .
Ayrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:06   #8
Shangri-La
Minimodder

Shangri-La has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver51
Unless you can download music and video in its uncompressed format legally through Steam, Amazon and the like, my optical drive is staying.

Buying VBR MP3s which haven't even been normalized is something of a fools errand, especially if you want to get the best out of your speaker or headphone setup.
^This.
Shangri-La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:09   #9
NigelT
Multimodder

NigelT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't know why but I always prefer to have a physical backup of any media I purchase. I've had as few occasions when I've had internet connection issues and it would annoy me not to be able watch or install something.
NigelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:09   #10
spazmochad
Supermodder

spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.spazmochad is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think the comments here nail it pretty hard as to why optical media should stay
spazmochad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:12   #11
justicefornone
Minimodder

justicefornone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The reason my optical drive stays is thus. I shall even use a current example!

SimCity: Limited Edition from Origin - £44.99
SimCity: Limited Edition from Amazon on disc, saving me hours of getting annoyed at slow interwebs - £34.99

Now factor in that the Special Editions of things usually cost the same money as the downloadable once but rather having bloody digital art-books have actual real can-sniff-those-lovely-pages pages!

You can stay cheap little black rectangle, forever and ever!
justicefornone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:17   #12
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
and Netflix is able to stream stuff at 1080p too
Are you sure what you'r getting is 1080p in full quality? I blow mine up onto a 3m screen, compression IS an issue

Also, most "unlimited" broadband offers are capped, how many movies can you watch a month before you hit this limit?

I have a fairly standard internetconnection (6000 DSL), and I have trouble getting 480p (which is considered "HD" by streaming companies)
480P streams tend to stutter (Youtube, Lovefilm, Maxdome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrto View Post
Second, the quality of 1080p streamed movies is nowhere near as good as high bitrate 1080p blu-ray
The average datarate of a Bluray in the mail (Lovefilm, as mentioned) isn't to be underrated.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:24   #13
Teknokid
Ultramodder

Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Teknokid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What I hate more than anything is laptop drives in laptops! Why oh why are they still in there?! Trying to find a decent 15" laptop that isn't over bulked by the Optical drive is so hard - so far I only think apple have properly achieved it with the retina 15....
Teknokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:24   #14
[USRF]Obiwan
I *am* a Dremel

[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[USRF]Obiwan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
A few months ago I installed Windows 8 from an USB3.0 16gb stick on a fresh system build on a Samsung SDD. It took less then two minutes from first powerup to install and got to desktop and browse the internet for some newer drivers.

I think that says it all.
In 1982 I was addicted to Lady Bug and played it in the local arcade (every day) And yes i'm proud I did that!
[USRF]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:27   #15
Draksis
Code Monkey

Draksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for presidentDraksis should be considered for president
I have a huge pile of old games and movies on disc, and there is no way (if they are even available in the first place) to buy the same thing again just cause I wanna junk a very cheap piece of hardware.
Draksis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:30   #16
Pliqu3011
Zero Hoots Given

Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.Pliqu3011 is definitely a rep cheat.
My pc doesn't even have an optical drive. Never really missed it.
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:32   #17
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
If all the music you enjoy is available on spotify and itunes, good for you. I'm still backing up my Brainfreeze, Product Placement and Rare Equations CDs though!
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:37   #18
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
We might be willing to make the move, but the infrastructure isn't quite there yet.

When broadband caps are finally abolished I may consider it. Otherwise, there will be times where I'll have to wait until midnight to do a Steam install for fear of being hit with excess bandwidth charges - not exactly the immediacy you'd expect in the digital age, when I load a game off a disc in a few minutes. I'd hate to think how much worse it would be if I fancied downloading a BluRay quality movie.

In other words, it's nowhere near time to give up on the optical drive.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:38   #19
NigelT
Multimodder

NigelT has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan View Post
A few months ago I installed Windows 8 from an USB3.0 16gb stick on a fresh system build on a Samsung SDD. It took less then two minutes from first powerup to install and got to desktop and browse the internet for some newer drivers.

I think that says it all.
How long did it take to prepare the usb stick as well though? I'd be happier to just put the disc in.

My win8 installation onto a fresh ssd from a bluray drive took well under 10 mins. The longest bit was waiting for it to apply the settings and you get the screen that constantly changes colour and I don't think that is affected by how you've installed.
NigelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2013, 11:48   #20
Bloody_Pete
Technophile(and yes, thats 724Mb/s)

Bloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming SaiyanBloody_Pete is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I haven't used my ODD since July last year (more can't but thats another tale) and I haven't missed it for a second. We're on 100Mbps internet, so 20GB is less than an hour away. And this is the future, faster, more stable internet connections. So why would I bother paying for the bus into town to by a game or movie (movies are the worst), when Steam will give me the game in less time and buying a movie is hugely costly when compared to Lovefilm/Netflix. I really hated using ODD's and I wont regret never using one again!
i5 3570k @ 4.6GHz (1.28v) on custom water loop/ Watercooling how-to, Asus Maximus 5 Gene, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz (2 black, 2 red), Asus 780 Posiedon Platinium, 512GB Crucial Mx1000, 3 x Samsung F1 1TB in RAID 5, Xigmatek Elysium, Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W, Corsair K60, Corsair SP2500 speakers, Dell U2311H & Asus VK222W.
Bloody_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote