bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Feb 2013, 07:15   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Cable Modders PSU Modding Supplies review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psu...ables-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 08:30   #2
blackworx
Cable Wrangler

blackworx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Tsk you young'uns don't know how good you've got it. Time was you had to make a bit of effort sourcing parts if you wanted to cable mod properly, now it's just handed to you on a plate! Grumble grumble moan moan etc.
blackworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 09:04   #3
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackworx View Post
Tsk you young'uns don't know how good you've got it. Time was you had to make a bit of effort sourcing parts if you wanted to cable mod properly, now it's just handed to you on a plate! Grumble grumble moan moan etc.
All we need now are some capacitors and a circuit board and we'll be making our own PSUs next!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 09:14   #4
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
You are on to something there... look at this guys watercooled pc for instance: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...liquid-cooling

^ I take it the person in the above thread, was just particularly untidy. Not that people weren't with their pcs back then.
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 09:18   #5
Combatus

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by law99
You are on to something there... look at this guys watercooled pc for instance: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...liquid-cooling

^ I take it the person in the above thread, was just particularly untidy. Not that people weren't with their pcs back then.
OMFG. I actually let out a little groan when I saw that!!!!
Old 14th Feb 2013, 09:42   #6
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I actually think the 18awg wires look a lot nicer than the shrink wrapped cables.

One question I would have about making my own cables is that when making pass through cables for devices with either Molex or S-ATA connectors, what is the maximum you can have on a single line? What is the equation to work out how many device you can have on a single rail?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 09:54   #7
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatus
Quote:

OMFG. I actually let out a little groan when I saw that!!!!
I tried to figure out what was happening by looking at it and gave up. Was too hard.
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 10:22   #8
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
I actually think the 18awg wires look a lot nicer than the shrink wrapped cables.

One question I would have about making my own cables is that when making pass through cables for devices with either Molex or S-ATA connectors, what is the maximum you can have on a single line? What is the equation to work out how many device you can have on a single rail?
I don't length will ever be an issue unless your pc is the size of a room, literally.

Working out how many devices you can have on one rail / cable is 'merely' a case of knowing the max current draw of each device, vs how much current the wires & rail can support. A PSU with a single 12v rail is usually rared for anything between ~20 to 50amps, though an individual ~18g wire is rated for 2.3amps ordinarily ( will happily take more, but temps will increase and voltage drop will become a factor ):

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

I used Cable Modders stuff in my project, nice quality stuff though not the most flexible- that's the issue with the insulation they use on the wires though. I'd love manufacturers to use silicon insulated wires like you find in more high-end electronics... ( R/C industry for examle ).
Old 14th Feb 2013, 10:24   #9
Combatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog

The maximum would be determined by the power available on that particular rail (all this info should be available from your manufacturers website) and the draw from the devices you want to connect. However, it can be a bit tricky identifying individual rails as sometimes one SATA and Molex cable can be on one rail, and another can be on another rail, each with different limits. Unless you have diagrams and can take the PSU apart (danger, death, kill!) to be 100% sure, I wouldn't recommend adding more connectors (one or two more probably wouldn't hurt, but don't quote me on that!)
Old 14th Feb 2013, 10:41   #10
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Thanks for the response... I ask because I have a 600w Be Quiet PSU and on the device rails (HDD, Optical Drive... Etc) they have a couple S-ATA connectors and then some molex or the old Floppy Drive style connectors. So to power up my 5 HDD's and Optical Drive I have to use both rails which is both untidy and space taking. If I could create a single rail for all those devices then that would be ideal, but as mentioned I would have to know the figures to get the right power.
Old 14th Feb 2013, 10:45   #11
Combatus

Oops I think I just repeated a lot of what SuicideNeil said as he got in first!
Old 14th Feb 2013, 10:54   #12
Shirty
"It's old Shirty!"

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackworx
Back in my day you had to weave your own sleeving, smelt your own copper wire and GPUs were pedal powered.
Old 14th Feb 2013, 11:14   #13
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Must not comment on sheer hatred of individually sleeved cables...
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 11:25   #14
SchizoFrog
Hypermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz
Must not comment on sheer hatred of individually sleeved cables...
Must get reasons... :-)
What do you hate about them? Just the look?
Old 14th Feb 2013, 11:43   #15
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The wires and the braiding arent the problems really. The crimping-tools are, as a good one costs some $40 allready, and then you need to have a source for the crimps and the connectors, and they aren't cheap either. Especially SATA-crimps and connectors are hard to find and the only source I know of where you can get all of the stuff in one place is MDPC.

Rewiring a PSU, with all the stuff included costs some serious money, especially if you don't mod your PSUs that often, as the tools cost asmuch as a new PSU allready.

Simple braiding is much cheaper to realise, as you don't need anything else then a pin-remover and a heatgun (a lighter works aswell).

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 12:56   #16
LightningPete
Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

LightningPete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Better question for the extreme lazy. Can we not take our rigs to someone to do this for us for a price?
LightningPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 13:03   #17
Chris_Waddle
Another World Cup let down

Chris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitChris_Waddle is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I have spent many an hour braiding cables in the past and whilst it looks great, I can't say I enjoy it.
If I was going to do it again, I think I would go down the route of re-wiring it all rather than braiding.

For my current project I have cheated. I bought the Corsair cables that are braided. I have to be honest, they look the dogs. The only issue is that you don't get to pick the adapters you want and the cable lengths.
Chris_Waddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 13:25   #18
ev1lm1nd666
Multimodder

ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:

What in the name of all that is holy did that guy do? Looks to me the guy tried to re-create the water-pipe mini game from BioShock 2 while on mind-bending drugs lol
Old 14th Feb 2013, 14:27   #19
flame696
Terminating People Since 1980....

flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.
I dont think i have the concentration level to do my PSU ill probably have a fit of rage half way though and chuck the whole lot out the window so thats why i bought a set of red corsair cables
flame696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2013, 14:27   #20
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Roll on the extinction of cables
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote