bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 14th Mar 2010, 18:40   #1
drakmin
I don't use Dremel.

drakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysis
Megablaster 2010 work log (diy ghettoblaster)

This is a work log of my fourth ghettoblaster project. Here's the two first models I've built (2007) to give you the idea of my work:

For the year 2010 my goal is to make lighter yet louder model. First dark grey model weights 11kg. I plan to cut the weight 25% using LiPo battery. Here is the 3d plan for my 4th design.

I will build it using plywood which will be covered with 1mm black acryl. I searched for speaker part for a month. I was after high efficiency drivers to get out as many db per watt as possible. I found a DIY kit of a PA speaker which converts one watt of amplifier power to 94db of sound. This PA kit has horn tweeter so I had to alter the 3d plan a bit. Here's the final plan with horn tweeter in place:

My plan consists of 2x100w class-d amp, 5,8Ah LiPo battery and Visaton MB 208/H speaker kit. Here's some parts as they arrived to me:

First test of the amplifier:

Cardboard model to see that the drivers fit:

Time to start building. I chose 9mm plywood. My first blaster had 12mm plywood walls and it was overly sturdy and added unnecessary weight.

Battery compartment:

Bracing:

Starts to look like a ghettoblaster:

And first sound test:

So this is where I am at the moment. Next I will build the plywood base for the carrying handle. After that the next step is to measure everything and draw the acryl cover parts in cad.

Here's my modding gallery: http://allthemods.com/userinfo.php?userid=25

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Nexxo; 15th Mar 2010 at 19:36.
drakmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2010, 18:42   #2
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.
Welcome to the forum, and nice job on that so far! But this is in the wrong forum, you want "project logs" under "modding".

I'm sure a mod can move this.

"For every stalwart bit-tech-worthy tech out there, another 2 cretinous arse-scratchers are out there pulling your patches and reconfiguring your ****." - Krikkit
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2010, 18:47   #3
drakmin
I don't use Dremel.

drakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysisdrakmin can run Crysis
Thanks! Project log rules said project logs can be only about pc mods. Im confused :]
Old 14th Mar 2010, 19:08   #4
Unicorn
Uniform November India

Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.Unicorn is definitely a rep cheat.
Oops, that should be modding then. Sorry!

"For every stalwart bit-tech-worthy tech out there, another 2 cretinous arse-scratchers are out there pulling your patches and reconfiguring your ****." - Krikkit
Unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2010, 19:10   #5
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Apparently drakmin was too lazy to post his earlier work here, so I'll fill in
Original Ghettoblaster
Midi keyboard
Logiwood speakers
Embryo Zero case
Teh worldfamous FIRST trans-TFT

And looking good as always, can't wait for the summer and to hear that thing in action. Also I reckon this is the right place for the thread? In a sense it's like the Gooster thread..
Old 14th Mar 2010, 19:26   #6
drakmin
I don't use Dremel.

Thanks Jouni. Here's fancy links to my previous projects, thanks for watching!

Old 14th Mar 2010, 20:20   #7
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
impressive

I especially like the logiwood project
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2010, 16:40   #8
drakmin
I don't use Dremel.

Thank you! Here's a quick plan I made for the carrying leash:

Old 15th Mar 2010, 19:31   #9
drakmin
I don't use Dremel.

I think I'll go with the polished look:

Old 15th Mar 2010, 19:35   #10
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.Nexxo is definitely a rep cheat.
This seriously tasty project is moved to the exalted heights of the Project Logs, where it belongs.

Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2010, 16:06   #11
Cheapskate
↓ Don't trust that face!

Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.Cheapskate is definitely a rep cheat.
Nexxo has spoken! Welcome to Bit-Tech, and remember to fill in all the juicy details on the electronics.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2010, 17:56   #12
HandMadeAndroid
That's handy.

HandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the DremelHandMadeAndroid has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
nice work....will there be an LCD screen in the middle?
i7 3770k, Asus P8Z77-I , 16gb Patriot 1866 ddr3,EVGA 670FTW, Bitfenix Prodigy,crucial M4 128ssd,western digital black 2tb storage, wacom intuos/ i7 sandy bridge kobalt 17" laptop,120ssd, 8gb crucial ram, 500gb7200 WD storage drive, nvidia 555m 3gb/64gb iPad 2
HandMadeAndroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2010, 17:58   #13
drakmin
I don't use Dremel.

Thanks a lot Nexxo and Cheapskate!

Here's the electronics simplified:

I chose litium polymer battery since it's light and small. LiPo batteries are more expensive and dangerous than "normal" acid batteries. My 5,8Ah model cost about 80 dollars. Blaster need battery monitor since lipo batteries cant be drained too empty, they will be damaged. I bough 2 dollar lipo monitor from Hobbyking. It gives alarm sound when battery voltage drops too low.

When building portable audio devices it's important to choose amplifier with high efficiency. Class-d amps are good choice, I found my model over ebay. It gives 2x100w into 4ohm load when fed with 36V voltage. My battery has 18,5V voltage so I will get "only" 2x40W power from the amp.

Even more importand aspect is the sensitivity of the speakers connected to the amp. Sensivity tells how much sound speakers produces with 1 watt power. I chose Visaton diy kit which has 2x 8" bass drivers and a horn tweeter. These speakers will produce 94db of sound with 1 watt power. (pretty loud) I calculated with 40W power I will get about 120db of sound!
Old 16th Mar 2010, 18:03   #14
drakmin
I don't use Dremel.

HandMadeAndroid: Nope, no lcd's.

My design philosophy is to keep the electronics as simple as possible. The K.I.T.T scanner is great exception here Atleast on my scale. Led scanner has no other function that to look cool! It's more like a pseudo cool addition.

The center hole is reserved for the horn tweeter. Here's a pic of the drivers while I tested the crossover:

And here's a bonus photo of me in my fancy working environment. Modders spring fashion 2010:

Old 16th Mar 2010, 18:18   #15
drakmin
I don't use Dremel.

I almost forgot. Here's first soundtest. Shot with my cellphone but I'll do better videos later. Not sure how to forward the 110db sound to video's watcher. In real life it plays really really loud!

Last edited by drakmin; 16th Mar 2010 at 18:41.
Old 16th Mar 2010, 18:21   #16
HaoKi
Lleno de anguilas!

HaoKi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Ah... good to see Drakmin has wandered way over here onto the Bit-Tech forums The blaster better be finished before the next LAN...

Eutanasia: Q6600 g0 @ 3,6Ghz, DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RS, 4Gb G.Skill @ 912mhz 5-4-4-4, HD4870 CrossfireX, 200gb WD... Article: Metku.net
HaoKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2010, 22:15   #17
shomann
Supermodder

shomann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is seriously awesome.

Please forgive my ignorance but is there a reason to build the frame out of wood? I ask because you mentioned weight as a concern and I would think a fiberglass base would solve that issue nicely.

Does it have to do with tonal quality?
shomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 06:29   #18
Neji
Multimodder

Neji has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This is excellent. Mod on.
Neji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 08:13   #19
500mph
The Right man in the Wrong place

500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel500mph has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by shomann View Post
This is seriously awesome.

Please forgive my ignorance but is there a reason to build the frame out of wood? I ask because you mentioned weight as a concern and I would think a fiberglass base would solve that issue nicely.

Does it have to do with tonal quality?
Tonal Quality, yes. Same reason acoustic guitars are made with wood and not metal/fiberglass

500mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2010, 08:49   #20
drakmin
I don't use Dremel.

shomann:

First of all plywood is cheap and really easy to work with. Also thin plywood is pretty light. I think my whole box weights 3kg since I routed unnecessary areas thinner. Sound _quality_ isn't first priority in ghettoblaster so glassfiber would be fine but harder to work with. Glassfiber box with some plywood braces inside would be pretty optimal in my opinion. Weight and sound pressure come before sound quality for me with blasters Wall thickness in this box vary from 6mm to 12mm. My first model was thicker and it turned out to be unnecessary. As I've already tested this box it doesn't rattle or do anything unwanted

Tags
audio, boombox, ghettoblaster, megablaster, speakers

View Mode