1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Kaamos - polar night : update 9.9 Some new plans

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by White-Fox, 17 Feb 2013.

1. White-Fox

White-Fox What's a Dremel?

Hi! i think i should first introduce my self, i am White-Fox, the former "Sissilisko".
    i have change my account for many reasons, one is that now my name is easier to spell, understand and remember.

but now in the business, i had a vision, a dream of truly amazing HTPC, that aint super expencive and a super computer. and now i have my dream coming true and i want to share those moments with you guys... I shall present you, Kaamos.

Kaamos:
    It's a APU based system with a watercooling.

Motherboard: Asus asus F2A85-V
    CPU/GPU: AMD 6800K
    Cooling: Corsair H100 With custom tubing and liquid (Mayhem blue) - will be changed
    Fans: 2x Noctua NF-F12 fans
    GPU: Sapphire 7770 lowprofile ( in crossfire )
    RAM: Kingston HyperX predator 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz
    Power: Silverstone Silverstone 450W Strider (80+ gold or silver)
    SSD: Adata 120GB
    HDD: WD Black 1TB

IDEA of Kaamos:
    the whole idea of kaamos is that it is placed on wall, and it is meant to look like a 3D painting.

Sponsors: ( oh there will be some ) "told ya so" *2.26.2013

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here is some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the base of all beaty is 3mm thick aluminium plate and the frame will be made from 3 or 5 mm aluminium ( in 3D it's made of 5mm)

the pictures ain final, i may add additional fan on plexi-glass to blow cool air inside the computer so the VMR will stay firmly cool.

I hope ya people will like this one. :)

Last edited: 9 Sep 2013
    Livio and siliconfanatic like this.
  2. White-Fox

System

So let's get started, so i brought the motherboard and CPU/GPU (APU) at first, out from my own money.
    [​IMG]

Then to unbox it and place the apu in place and other stuff, i will go over this quicly, in other hands i will build the system in my old case (600T) with my 1200W powersupply (yes it's a "little" over kill :D ), H100, kingston 4GB 1333MHz memory and asus 660TI

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and they seem all to work, and dont make a fuss about the 660TI, i used that build to finish up wiht a 3D modeling so the grafics card boosted the job quite much.

Next job is to take the motherboard in some easier plase to measeure and to work with and replase the H100 cooling with something else so we can use the H100 more freely.

but first to mod some of the newer case, it's made to take in only mATX motherboards and there was one locked motherboard stand off on my way, well... time to drill it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well now it's not in our way anymore.. and now i will reveal you how it looks in it's temporary case. and i am using it from my 50" TV.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and as you can see, im finifhing my 3D with it.

and for the last, i got the 3mm aluminium piece, and some tools.
    [​IMG]

got my self a dremel kit, will come really handydandy.
    [​IMG]

also safety glasses ;D and some pressing devises or what do ya guys call them...
    [​IMG]

this is for now... i will soon upload some more, after ive done with the freaking keyboard settings (layout), it keeps changing it from finnish to english and can't find any right buttons :wallbash:

but for now, see ya :D:rock:

3. White-Fox

Building

CONTINUUM!! (sry for bad english :D )

So, next thing in here to do is to cover up the aluminium so we can draw some plans and dont get any unnessery scraches in it.

[​IMG]

a useless table pic with a bad quality :D

[​IMG]

i had a little distraction :D

[​IMG]

and there's my work space in my living-room

[​IMG]

but now back in the real business... i need to make holes for fans and the H100 before i cut the H100 vent hole.
    so, i hitted the starting point there and drilled.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and there it is... looks kinda nice :3 now it's mounted with gentle typhoons but i will get the Noctuas in it.

[​IMG]

and i got it installed with all 8 screws :rock: in my 600T it was only with 5 screws, i dont no why but i didnt get there all 8. but here it did happen!

[​IMG]

next thing to do is to make a hole, so the H100 and fans can get air from somewhere.

so i started with a dremell... made a starting point for the pad saw

[​IMG]

yes im doing it in my bathroom but it's better then out side, there is -14celsius and a shitload of snow on my balcony :D well it would be kinda warm but the snow is a problem :D

[​IMG]

a test how fine work does that cutting edge does, and it looks good so we shall proceed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fans and the H100 fitted just perfectly in there and with a fan filter it will look like a boss...
    i was thinking one of these...

[​IMG]

and i did something for the future also, i will be needing 2 custom long power cord's for the ssd and hdd so i did this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and now i have 2-4 free sata power connectors :)

oh yeah and i got my six motherboard stand off's, i took them from the 600T but they are excatly the same as phobyas standoff's :D

[​IMG]

and this was it for today :)

please comment :)

Last edited: 19 Feb 2013
  4. tekonivel

tekonivel Minimodder

Looking good.:thumb:
    Hope you didn't steal that RK magazine:nono:

5. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

lookin good, Kaamos, thats like "polar night" in finnish, I used to play games with a finnish gameing crew called Kaamos, good times!

6. White-Fox

actualy i just founded it from my vacation bag one day :D but i had to pay it for army anyways when my army-duty's ended :D
    and thank you ^^

thanks ^^ and yes it is :) and why dont ya play anymore with them then? o_O

7. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

I sort of do, one of them is now my wife, so I "play" with her, as for the rest, gamers move on, the core stopped, etc etc. atleast I'we learned a small fraction of finnish!

8. White-Fox

well that went well then :D

and for the rest of the people, there shall come an update in 8hours.. I got motherboard installes ans there was few problems but you guys will see!

9. White-Fox

SCREWS!!

i got my Screw tap!! and gummybears from aqua tuning :D (not sponsored :( )

[​IMG]

so i took it for a test run in a leftover piece...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and it works perfectly :)
    now for the real deal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and voila! i didn't get the two middle screwes in plase but i will try to find a solution how to get the middle stand-offs in place.

[​IMG]

and some pics from the current situation that were we are now.. (remember, this is in everyday usage)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

siliconfanatic likes this.
  10. vanos

vanos What's a Dremel?

I like the idea, and i really would like to see the outcome. :thumb:

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That rabbit totally thinks it's going to score with your arctic cammo-jammies. :lol: Wall computers are great, but you will want a quick-remove setup.

12. White-Fox

:D i think you're right :p and i will, and i will make for lan's and other use a stand off that resembles a wall where is also a quick connect so even in show casing people will understand the idea way easier then if i would build it just "legs" or simple standoff like what they use when showing motherboards..

Last edited: 21 Feb 2013
  13. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

Most people would've just taken their phone with them... :lol:

14. White-Fox

you made a funny :D and clearly as you see that im not like most of the people :D (sometimes i take my dremel in sauna)

15. White-Fox

PACKAGE AND SPONSOR'S!!

OKAY! so i got new package from aqua tuning and there was something really awesome inside, let's take a look will ya?

[​IMG]

tubes and cooling liquid from mayhem... this will be epic :blush:

[​IMG]

so it's in plastic shot glass and looking like a boss :p

[​IMG]

cheers!! :D

[​IMG]

well now. i got some SPONSOR'S TOO!!
    couple local stores gave me a real nice discount's and im really thankfull for them!!

From Taitonetti
    [​IMG]

i got 120G ADATA SSD!! ( discount but STILL!! imah saving money like a BOSS! :p )

[​IMG]

looking real nice

[​IMG]

AND from SystemaStore
    [​IMG]

i got a REALLY nice discount from the Kingston HyperX Predator memorys, (2x8GB 1866MHz)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

those predator memories are made for this board, they look awesome!

[​IMG]

i putted the computer on the "test bench" setup again so i can continue with the aluminium and and easier to put all the stuff on that setup so i will install my windows on my ssd on this setup also (that's why the CD-drive)

[​IMG]

i was lazy so i took my screen on there also so i can whatch TV while installing my Win7 :p

[​IMG]

and after all that i installed my Storage HDD that contains all the pictures and 3D modellings of this project so i can continue making this.

[​IMG]

im just loving my SSD and new RAM's, the computer is so much faster then with the samsung F3 and 4GB 1333MHz memories....

But well see if continue tomorrow modding this baby up! :rock:

hope ya guys still liking this :clap:

16. White-Fox

H100 MOD and some cutting

Sup Bros!!

so here is something new for you guys, A VIDEO! and not just one, TWO VIDEO'S!!! but them come's later...

now some cutting, i need to get the alunimium on the right size.

[​IMG]

well there is the right size, i will leave the rest for tomorrow ( dealing with the rough edges and stuff )
    [​IMG]

so the next job is to mod the H100 :rock:

so here's my H100 and First im going to rip off the old tubes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and now the new tubes, i noticed that 6/8mm tubes were better on this H100 mod ( tight seal )
    i am now testing the lenght of the tubes.

[​IMG]

and now the setup that i used to fill this, yes it is a "bit" unorthodox style :hehe:
    Oh yeah and im using the Mayhems pastel Blue Berry liquid in this.

[​IMG]

and then a couple of video's! as promised..

this is from filling the loop - yes i tried to make some better quality with youtube but it's kinda worse now.... im sad sad ***** right now...

and here is a video of how it runs....

i don't know when im going to test the tempature with this but i think the tempature's will stay on low with this even there is a little bit of air.... not much though....

and here is a picture of the complete H100 mod..

[​IMG]

im kinda proud of my self right now :blush: PLEASE COMMENT! :)

Last edited: 28 Feb 2013
  17. White-Fox

Fixed! :)

Last edited: 28 Feb 2013
  18. White-Fox

allright, got a new package :p ordered my self a new power supply and fans :3

[​IMG]

i lteraly peed honey when i ordered these, 22€ each... oh god, but the noctua nf-f12 are worth every penny

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and got my self the Silverstone SFX 450W Bronze powersupply THAT WASN'T MODULAR! i got peed in the eye by sell picture... -.-'' well it doesn't crash the mod.

[​IMG]

and now i want to test those out and make the holes so i can adapt the hard-drives on the alunimium...
    so draw:ing and after that, some measurement's and we have hole placements

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry but i forgot to take pictures of drilling the holes, BUT! i need to make them deeper so from that, there is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here is the whole system test fitted,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oh and those who thinked me as an idiot for doing the ghetto watercooling.... well... they were right...
    i thinked there would be not so much air, and it wouldn't interfiere so much but my tempatures are bouncing from 38c to 62c randomly and rapidly....
    soooo i have to get a reservoir in this, i don't know where to put it or how much it will cost.

19. whyte

whyte What's a Dremel?

I have seen a couple of people do this mod before and a number of them have used the swiftech micro res. It only costs about $25. Here is a link to the swiftech site, but you can find it most everywhere. :thumb:

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I wanted one of those when I modded my Antec Khuler, but couldn't find one anywhere in the UK. I used one of these Alphacool ones instead. My mod is also hyperlinked in my sig.