bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 19th Feb 2013, 14:01   #1
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan First Look

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...n-first-look/1

We get our hands on Nvidia's latest for an extended first look. Full review and benchmarks on thursday!
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 14:18   #2
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
hmm quite expensive especially versus two 680s or a 690. On the other hand, no dependence on crossfire support or drivers in games for what will probably be a similar performance level to the 690
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 14:25   #3
Gurdeep14
Supermodder

Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nice review even though you guys are limited on what you can say due to the NDA.
As amazing as this new card sounds, I really don't see the need for it, I mean you can get a 680 or a 7970 to max out any current game at above 1920x1200 easily and above. Even with multi monitor set ups, those cards are still able to run most games near max and if not, it would still be cheaper to buy an additional card for sli/crossfire.
We need games to push the current gen cards harder before cards like the Titan seem appropriate
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4Ghz HT | EVGA 780 Classified Hydro Copper 3GB | ASUS Rampage Extreme II | 12GB Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D | Enermax Revolution 1250W | ASUS Xonar D2X | 250GB Samsung Evo | 256GB Samsung 830 |2 Samsung F3 1TB | Silverstone TJ-07 |
Gurdeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 14:31   #4
BennieboyUK
CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.BennieboyUK is definitely a rep cheat.
I agree need isn't a word i'd be using for this card, nor do I need a Lambo, but dam I want one. Just like I want this card - one will be mine, MINE!
i7 980x @ 4.4Ghz|12GB Dominator GT 2133mhz|Rampage III|4gb GTX 680 Classified's SLI|830 256GB|Antec 1200w|PF1000|R3|U2711 Hyper-V 2012: Dell 1900 | Dual Xeon E5320 | 32GB DDR2 ECC | LSI @ Raid5 5.452tb WHS: 8gb HP N40L 10tb x8 WD 2tb RED's Raid 6+1 on SRCSASBB8I with BBU
BennieboyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 14:33   #5
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Realistically this card is built for gaming on 4K screens, and before everyone goes "there aren't any", you clearly weren't at CES. They're on their way. Chuck a couple of these in SLI and you can BF3 with 8 million pixels per frame. Realistically if you can drop £20k+ on a screen you can afford a couple of grands of hardware to play games on it. And by the time the screens have become cheaper the next gen will be here anyway.

As for the line "With a huge increase in stream processor count and memory, you’d be forgiven for expecting a similar increase in clock speeds" That's not really true, whenever you move from a chip which has a smaller die with good yields to a much larger die with much lower yields it's inevitable that clock speeds will come down to compensate. It's happened in pretty much every generation going back, think the 280 and 480

The sad thing is this is the card that should have been the 680. The GK104 should have been the 660 hence why it's such a low spec small card, so everyone who bought a 680 has kinda been ripped off by Nvidia. I guess the only people you can blame are AMD for letting them get away with it.

As for the screen overdriving thing, it makes sense given this card is probably largely going to be bought by the over-rich uninformed who will probably just use it to play DOTA at 1080p. Might as well let them run it at some crazy frame rates. Realistically is just gonna use more power and put out more heat and more noise for not much visual gain but meh. Drivers need optimising to cope better with FPS drops rather than looking at max fps.

At the end of the day yeah, if you're gaming at 2560*1600 or below you're probably better off with just 2x 680's in SLI for this generation. If you're running a 3x 2560*1600 setup or something equally mental than yeah you might get some good use out of these.
XFXScorpio911 ¦ PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz ¦ SLI GTX 480 1536MB¦ ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA ¦ 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T¦ CORSAIR HYDRO H50 ¦ CORSAIR Force 3 120GB ¦ WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit ¦ Musings On The Technical World ¦ Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 14:38   #6
Gurdeep14
Supermodder

Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Gurdeep14 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I agree, even though at the moment they seem way over powered, I would still love one or two
But as it's been said, for most users with a single monitor, Totally pointless, unless it's 4k.
But coming from someone who has always has ATI, kudos for Nvidia for pushing things forward, even though there isn't a market for it just yet
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4Ghz HT | EVGA 780 Classified Hydro Copper 3GB | ASUS Rampage Extreme II | 12GB Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D | Enermax Revolution 1250W | ASUS Xonar D2X | 250GB Samsung Evo | 256GB Samsung 830 |2 Samsung F3 1TB | Silverstone TJ-07 |
Gurdeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 14:42   #7
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's going to be a weird year when this is the last major GPU release to expect before 2014 Hurry up next-gen consoles, we need you to arrive so we can build PCs to crush you!
Old 19th Feb 2013, 14:53   #8
rwb97
Addicted to modding

rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rwb97 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
hmmm, this is going to make the ROG MARS III seem a bit less special... unless of course they stick with the past theme for mars and ares of taking the flagship sku chips (now the gk110) and put two of them on one board... so the mars iii would be 2x titan's rather than 2x 680's.... that would be incredible!!
Quote:
I got my first real 24-pin.... Bought it at the five-and-dime.... Sleeved it till my fingers bled.... Was the summer of '69
rwb97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 14:56   #9
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Eagerly awaiting benchmarks, although it's quite shocking that you can get GTX670 Tri-SLI for roughly the same money, or GTX680 SLI for less.

Wonder what the extra markup will be? I fully expect to see it at ~£1000.

Of course, it does have an improved memory controller, more VRAM... eh, let's wait for the benchmarks, further debate is pointless when they're so close.
Old 19th Feb 2013, 15:08   #10
Baz
I work for Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter
Eagerly awaiting benchmarks, although it's quite shocking that you can get GTX670 Tri-SLI for roughly the same money, or GTX680 SLI for less.

Of course, it does have an improved memory controller, more VRAM... eh, let's wait for the benchmarks, further debate is pointless when they're so close.
As I say on the final page, expect 25-35% improvement over a single 680. I doubt it'll be as quick as 690, but will be more reliable due to lack of driver reliance. Retailers tell us £1000, Nvidia says £832 ($1000). No pre-order pages up yet I think.
Old 19th Feb 2013, 15:31   #11
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
It's going to be a weird year when this is the last major GPU release to expect before 2014 Hurry up next-gen consoles, we need you to arrive so we can build PCs to crush you!
2014!? Ah man. I have 2x570GTX's running 3 displays and newer titles choke it out on anything higher than medium. The cost/benefit of moving to dual 6xx is not good enough. I was hoping for something "next-gen" soon. BAH!

Oh and the Titan doesn't count, seeing as it costs 500 million pounds.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 15:34   #12
borandi
Multimodder

borandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremelborandi has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm Shifter

As I say on the final page, expect 25-35% improvement over a single 680. I doubt it'll be as quick as 690, but will be more reliable due to lack of driver reliance. Retailers tell us £1000, Nvidia says £832 ($1000). No pre-order pages up yet I think.
$1000, converted to GBP at a rate of 1.6 (rate ~ 1.55 atm), then adjusted for 20% UK tax comes to £750. If you put in $1100, you get out £832. Maths.

Using the current rate, I'd expect £775/800 on the UK side. Don't forget that RRP/MSRP from the manufacturer also includes the retailer markup. The R stands for Retail. Whether it gets boosted due to low supply (UK isn't a primary market) is another issue.
borandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 15:37   #13
Ayrto
Supermodder

Ayrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for president
So this (with possibly 3GB of ram)is basically what the 680 could have been if required?

btw . typo p3. second para. "bolted to the card to ensure *to* amount" , should be no I think.
Ayrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 15:39   #14
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Ordered two
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 15:54   #15
ModSquid
Multimodder

ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.ModSquid is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I have a video somewhere with some DP in it.

No graphics cards though.
ModSquid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 16:09   #16
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Think nvidia and amd just don't have the production for a new card this year.
rollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 16:17   #17
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Far to high a price, as I was going to get 2 of these and run them in SLI but I will stick to my GTX680 SLI setup as I am not, willing to drop £1660 on 2 graphics cards that is just INSANE.

If they were either £500 or £600 then no problem but at £830 each I think it's a massive joke regardless of how it performs, especially when you can get a set of GTX680's 4Gb cards that will play anything out there anyway.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 16:20   #18
Jimbob
Modder

Jimbob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looking good, I'm after an upgrade to the howling banshee of a HD6990 that has provided me good service so far. Getting rid of SLi or crossfire whilst keeping the same performance is worth the premium over the cheaper dual card setups.
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2013, 16:30   #19
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by borandi View Post
$1000, converted to GBP at a rate of 1.6 (rate ~ 1.55 atm), then adjusted for 20% UK tax comes to £750. If you put in $1100, you get out £832. Maths.

Using the current rate, I'd expect £775/800 on the UK side. Don't forget that RRP/MSRP from the manufacturer also includes the retailer markup. The R stands for Retail. Whether it gets boosted due to low supply (UK isn't a primary market) is another issue.
I don't think it's quite as mathematically logical as that, there are various other costs and mark-ups applied to UK/EU pricing that will ensure it is not a like-for-like price when compared to North America.

I think your final sentence is more like it. If retailers only get a handful of units, they are going to charge as much as they damn well please in the short term. After all, what's an extra £50 to someone who can already afford £800?

Also, what percentage of PC gamers actually need this amount of GPU horsepower? Maybe 0.1% of what is already a very small market, remember Nvidia makes the lion's share of it's money on products and services other than retail GPUs.

I can see some hardcore folders dropping a few grand on these though.
Old 19th Feb 2013, 16:33   #20
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ha, this is why I went and bought Bennyboys 2x GTX 580 3GB cards, as performance is going to be identical at nearly a third of the cost.

I just hope no one is stupid enough to pay the premium.... £500 is what this should be, if AMD got their arse in gear.
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gk110, gtx titan, kepler, tru_gamer, where dafuq da review?