bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Feb 2013, 10:01   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Edimax EW-7438RPn Wi-Fi Extender review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/net...ender-review/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 14:10   #2
Woodspoon
Supermodder

Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.Woodspoon is definitely a rep cheat.
This looks quite useful, could do with one of these to sort out the poor reception spots.
Woodspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 19:52   #3
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
Something like Wifi Analyser can be pretty handy for working out the signal strength is different rooms, and for working out which channel(s) to use that aren't being used by your neighbours.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 20:34   #4
do_it_anyway
Supermodder

do_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldo_it_anyway has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Although I personally wouldn't game over wifi unless my network port dies, can you say what happens to your ping through one of these?
I am assuming it would have to increase, as there is another "hop" involved. But I wonder how much by?
do_it_anyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 23:11   #5
mute1
Multimodder

mute1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a flaw in WPS that makes it insecure? In which case, the manual route is the way to go (even if that does sound paranoid - better safe than sorry when it comes to a couple of minutes' effort).
mute1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 22:55   #6
forum_user
forum_title

forum_user has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Antony, can more than 1 of these units be used to stretch coverage across larger areas, and does using more units reduce the speeds?
forum_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2013, 09:45   #7
Bokonist
Minimodder

Bokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for presidentBokonist should be considered for president
Quote:
Originally Posted by mute1
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a flaw in WPS that makes it insecure? In which case, the manual route is the way to go (even if that does sound paranoid - better safe than sorry when it comes to a couple of minutes' effort).
You are right, WPS intorduces a vulnerability that can allow someone with just a little knowledge to hack your WPA pass key. Unfortunately turning WPS off doesn't stop the hack from working, so if you're unlucky enough to have a vulnerable router then using this device will neither decrease or increase your security. If one of these will help your situation then get one. The only sensible defence against the WPS hack is to either update your firmware to a non vulnerable version, and/or make sure your wireless key is at least 25 characters long. This means that the hack is still technically possible, but would take a prohibitive amount of time to work.
Bokonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2013, 17:43   #8
David Wakeman
What's a Dremel?

David Wakeman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I cannot find any reference in the reviews or product descriptions to the LAN connection (other than it is a CAT5 interface). I understand this is used for setting up, but having completed the setup can it also be used as a normal LAN connection to other non-wireless devices?
David Wakeman is offline   Reply With Quote