bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Feb 2013, 11:54   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Canonical unveils Ubuntu for Tablets

You thought it was stopping at smartphones?
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...untu-tablets/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 12:30   #2
Burnout21
Is the daddy!

Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Burnout21 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I thought a tablet was coming first in terms of development.

The phone images narrow the amount of developers able to physically test there apps, but the tablet images for the Nexus 7 and 10 widens the field as most people jumped to grab a Nexus 7.
Burnout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 12:35   #3
blacko
Multimodder

blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.
Does this run from within Android or have they got some sort of hack which allows you to fully replace the android OS?
blacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 12:40   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacko View Post
Does this run from within Android or have they got some sort of hack which allows you to fully replace the android OS?
It's a complete replacement OS, flashed as a ROM image - same as Ubuntu for Phones. There is something called Ubuntu for Android, which runs on top of Google's mobile OS, but that appears to have been abandoned in favour of Ubuntu for Phones.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 13:32   #5
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Side stage, does Surface not support Snap? Either way, it looks good. I've liked Ubuntu on the PC as well, but my issues have always been that it doesn't support the games I play, and I break it way too easily while having no clue how to fix it.
If this takes off, more programs will become available for Ubuntu hopefully increasing it's appeal.
Old 20th Feb 2013, 13:53   #6
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
So its a complete replacement for android. But is it a full Ubuntu install? Or is it some kind of cut down version for tablets? I kind of like the idea of a little keyboard with my nexus 7 and ubuntu on it. But only if i had full control over it. Not wanting some cut down version. Wonder how other desktop environments would react to touch?

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 14:51   #7
Icy EyeG
Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Icy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitIcy EyeG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_123
So its a complete replacement for android. But is it a full Ubuntu install? Or is it some kind of cut down version for tablets? I kind of like the idea of a little keyboard with my nexus 7 and ubuntu on it. But only if i had full control over it. Not wanting some cut down version. Wonder how other desktop environments would react to touch?
Tomorrow Canonical will be releasing the first images, so let's wait to see how it behaves on Nexus 7.
Icy EyeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 17:01   #8
PCBuilderSven
Multimodder

PCBuilderSven has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Are there any plans to release x86 images for Windows based tablets?
PCBuilderSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 20:35   #9
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Here's a link to Ubuntus tablet page -> http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet

The mockup they show on their page actually looks quiet nice with those wide speaker-grills on either side of the screen and I also like that they placed the front-facing camera on the long side. It's more natural imho and I'd like my iPad3 to have it there aswell, as I only use it in fixed landscape-mode.

The pictures don't show any ports tho, but I'd very much like to see it have a SD-card slot. That's what's missing in most smartphones and tablets. Is there actually any tablet with SD-card slot out there?

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 20:58   #10
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Actually, that's a Nexus 10. Ubuntu does not make its own hardware.

The Microsoft Surface has an SD card slot.

Last edited by Nexxo; 20th Feb 2013 at 21:03.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 22:35   #11
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo View Post
Actually, that's a Nexus 10. Ubuntu does not make its own hardware.

The Microsoft Surface has an SD card slot.
Funny thing that the Surface has one. 64GB microSDHC cards aren't that expensive actually

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 02:00   #12
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Think is I already have the desktop version on my tablet o_O
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 11:55   #13
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well you have to say, its consistent! unlike WIndows 8. I dont think I will ever learn what the top, bottom, left and right edges do in Win 8 in all the different apps, desktop, metro.....

Well done Ubuntu
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 13:31   #14
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Quote:
Ubuntu for tablets hands-on: an intriguing mix of Windows 8, Android, and Kindle Fire

Video:
http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/40...4GobWDTKawDWRP

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/40...hands-on-video
Old 21st Feb 2013, 19:45   #15
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark View Post
Well you have to say, its consistent! unlike WIndows 8. I dont think I will ever learn what the top, bottom, left and right edges do in Win 8 in all the different apps, desktop, metro.....

Well done Ubuntu
Actually, it's exactly the same. The edge swipes are just distributed differently. Same context sensitivity; same functions.

Like the look though --a sort of cross between Metro and WebOS. Very polished.
Nexxo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
canonical, linux, mark shuttleworth, nexus 10, nexus 7, ubuntu, ubuntu for smartphones, ubuntu for tablets, ubuntu for tv