bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Feb 2013, 11:37   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Pitchford promises Aliens: Colonial Marines investigation

Looking at why the demo was so different.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...nvestigation/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 12:26   #2
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
My guess is the demo footage is from before the game was dumbed down to work on Console's
Its a sad state of gaming today that a lot of cross platform releases don't take advantage of what good PC's have to offer, instead they opt for what works on all.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 12:38   #3
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I kept reading his name as Pitchfork.... is it a sign
Old 20th Feb 2013, 12:59   #4
Ayrto
Supermodder

Ayrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for president
It seems pretty obvious that it was watered down to get it running on consoles: dynamic lighting ,high object / poly count and hi res textures, none of it comes performance cheap. Sadly for them, in a franchise such as Aliens, atmosphere is everything and removal pretty much ruined the experience, and the story/ gameplay wasn't good enough to overlook these things.

Even with that said though, it doesn't explain the PC version. Although, usually studios come up with some guff about ...'having to ensure the same experience across all platforms' (why?) . Which usually means, we didn't want to spend anything optimizing for PC .

Last edited by Ayrto; 20th Feb 2013 at 13:09.
Ayrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 13:22   #5
towelie
How do I Internet!!

towelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltowelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
There is already a mod out for A:CM with DX10 and 11 support, took the work of a few fans less than a month to do.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliensdx10...afik-and-light
Hard Drives:50GB SSD OCZ Sandforce driver/1TB WD Green 7200RPM
Case:NZXT 810 Switch Black
towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 13:52   #6
Skiddywinks
Hypermodder

Skiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the DremelSkiddywinks has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
In all fairness, reviews only going up once launched etc is all par for the course nowadays, so A:CM can hardly be singled out here.

That said, I wasn't even impressed by the gameplay demo mentioned in the article, although it certainly looked to be of much higher quality than the released game.
Skiddywinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 14:21   #7
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
i think (and i know i'm right :P) is that this was what the game looked like all along! the low textures, zero lighting IMO, etc all smells of last gen graphics... since this game was suppose to come out on ps2 and others and dont care they saying its was for xbox360 and ps3 when clearly it looks like a last gen game.

the made it for last gen and just took that piece of the game and really worked on it (gearbox prob did only this part as much) for the 2012 demo to get hype.

garebox knew what was going on.
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 14:25   #8
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Ouch! I just watched the video link and it's preceeded by an ad for A:CM!

Ouch ouch OUCH!
Old 20th Feb 2013, 14:37   #9
Silver51
I cast flare!

Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Silver51 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Does there really need to be an 'investigation'? The game is bad and Gearbox should feel bad.

To anyone reading this who plans to make an Alien game in the future:
1) Watch the first two films.
2) Program an AI that reacts to the player and actively tries to attack from a direction which no-one is looking in.
3) ??? Co-op.
4) Profit All motion sensor, all the time.
Silver51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 14:52   #10
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
From what I've heard, graphics are the least of this game's worries.
Old 20th Feb 2013, 14:58   #11
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver51
Does there really need to be an 'investigation'? The game is bad and Gearbox should feel bad.

To anyone reading this who plans to make an Alien game in the future:
1) Watch the first two films.
2) Program an AI that reacts to the player and actively tries to attack from a direction which no-one is looking in.
3) ??? Co-op.
4) Profit All motion sensor, all the time.
i would say in co-op, give each a role. one has just a pistal and the motion sensor, another the big tracking gun, etc.. get my point? true co-op, with fear that just one team mate going down is like a limb coming off. up the intensity.

and why not have a multiplayer match where all have been impregnated and have limited time to get into status or something with i dont know injections along the way if u can risk going off the path to give u more time. and u have to be on ur guard for enemies and each other for when they "might" burst out of ur once partner then u need to kill them before they burst. but killing a team mate is like i said, cutting off a limb. now that will be super exciting! IMHO
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 15:20   #12
towelie
How do I Internet!!

towelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremeltowelie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Griffter get your ass to a game development company now.........sound idea's
Hard Drives:50GB SSD OCZ Sandforce driver/1TB WD Green 7200RPM
Case:NZXT 810 Switch Black
towelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 18:17   #13
DwarfKiller
Multimodder

DwarfKiller has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
How can you be so disconnected from the product that you don't know where it went wrong and need to investigate?
He must at least have some idea already.
Old 20th Feb 2013, 18:49   #14
Speed
I'm all you need!

Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't agree that it was "dumbed down" for consoles, it isn't logical and it also doesn't explain the huge amount of game play issues on all platforms.

I'm of the opinion Gearbox made the decision to hand the SP over to a cheap (read: crap) studio knowing full well the next generation of consoles were on their way, and they wanted to focus both in money and manpower on next gen titles.

This game failing is one thing, a next generation title flopping could nearly kill off a studio. Risk management pure and simple.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 19:18   #15
DrTiCool
Multimodder

DrTiCool has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I had hopes that this game will push co-op far than Left 4 Dead did and I still asume that L4D has most innovative co-op mode in history of FPS.
Aliens, next time.

I'm eager to know on what game are Turtle Rock Studios working now...
DrTiCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 19:23   #16
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Speed - the graphics ARE dumbed down for consoles - they just have the resoruces for the lighting etc of the demo ; since thats at the very least DX10!
Old 20th Feb 2013, 19:47   #17
NetSphere
Multimodder

NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.NetSphere is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Did I read that wrong? He's checking why the demo was of superior quality? As if it wasn't supposed to be that good?

I thought it would be the other way around. Check why the release was so bad, because it was supposed to be much better?

But then, when you look at the DX:HR cinematics, that video had a lot of stuff that never turned up in the actual game. No gameplay elements, but the visual elements didn't transfer.
Silverstone TJ08E - Ivy Bridge 3570k @ 4.0 GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 - Asus Maximus Gene4 - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1.5V - 2GB ASUS GTX670 DIRECT CUII TOP - 256GB Samsung 830 Series - 850W Corsair HX850
NetSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 19:58   #18
Speed
I'm all you need!

Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Speed - the graphics ARE dumbed down for consoles - they just have the resoruces for the lighting etc of the demo ; since thats at the very least DX10!
That might be the case but my point was that you can't blame everything on "dumbing it down" for consoles, there are countless successful games that work well on all platforms. Ultimately as shirty mentioned, the graphics are the least of the games problems. Dumbing the graphics down for consoles does not explain the issues it has on ALL platforms in fundamental areas; the story, gameplay, AI, bugs etc etc. Those issues almost all come from using a lesser cheaper studio so that Gearbox can put their full resources into next gen titles. The issues not attributed to the studio they fobbed the game off onto come from its long development cycle. There were warning signs nearly a year ago that this game would never live up to the hype.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 20:11   #19
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Skyrim is a great of example of what can go right with a console and PC release. The game looks good on the console, but looks amazing on a decent PC. Even before they released the Hi-Rez Texture Packs, it still looked like a modern PC game. Claims of having to dumb down graphics because a game is also a console release is ridiculous.

I doubt better graphics could ever redeem Aliens: Colonial Marines based on gameplay reviews, but it is very curious looking at the demo graphics versus final release. There is a stunning difference between the two. I remember watching the original ACM demo, and thankfully I waited till the reviews came out. It's a damn shame they failed to deliver on the teases they provided in the demo.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2013, 20:11   #20
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
aye i do agree the gfx are the least of the issues - being able to complete entire levels without shooting anything or even avoiding stuff

Tags
aliens, aliens: colonial marines, borderlands, gearbox, pc gaming, playstation 3, sega, timegate studios, xbox 360