bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:02   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Intel NUC - a mini-PC revolution?

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2013/02...pc-revolution/
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:09   #2
Tynecider
Since ZX81

Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Small enough to mod into an atx case, nice.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” - Frank Zappa
Tynecider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:22   #3
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As the focus from hardware manufacturers continues to be towards taking small performance steps forwards while leaping forward with regards to power draw and TDP, I can see over the lifespan of the next gen consoles we will have micro sized units that will actually outperform the consoles, be cheaper to build with, offer far more features and also come in for a cheaper all round price.
If you are not a professional using high end PC hardware or an extreme game gaming at resolutions far and beyond that of 1080p then I see the next 2 years being very, very interesting indeed.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:38   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's a nice thing to see intel leaping forward with this NUC, but imho it lacks a SATA-port for a big storage-HDD. Otherwisse this would be a very nice HTPC with enough power to throw some encoding/decoding-tasks at it.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:38   #5
tonyd223
king of nothing

tonyd223 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Too much old hardware lying around - my media pc is based on a dual core socket 939 - completely out of date but it plays video at 1080, and does the general web browsing, video watching, youtube thing adequately. I know it could use less power, be smaller, run quieter, but it cost me nothing...
tonyd223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:43   #6
EvilRusk
Multimodder

EvilRusk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
As the focus from hardware manufacturers continues to be towards taking small performance steps forwards while leaping forward with regards to power draw and TDP, I can see over the lifespan of the next gen consoles we will have micro sized units that will actually outperform the consoles, be cheaper to build with, offer far more features and also come in for a cheaper all round price.
If you are not a professional using high end PC hardware or an extreme game gaming at resolutions far and beyond that of 1080p then I see the next 2 years being very, very interesting indeed.
I agree. I have played about with Pi and my android phone docked to my monitor and they really make my desktop look like some kind of antique.

I have my Pi set up as a NAS / VPN / DLNA server but I'd like something with a bit more power like the Odroid http://www.hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/main.php but this Intel NUC looks more interesting still.

Practically every electronics device is a mini-pc these days so interesting times it is!
EvilRusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:53   #7
Andy Mc
I *am* a Dremel

Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.Andy Mc is definitely a rep cheat.
The idea of Intel's NUC is great. Shame the availablity a bit of an issue and that there is no SATA port, meaning you have to use more expensive MSATA hd.

Andy Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 16:32   #8
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
I like this a lot more.

When it comes to small pcs I honestly believe that ARM is the future.

http://apc.io/products/paper/
Old 25th Feb 2013, 16:32   #9
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Meh, it would work as an HTPC for me. Some point soon I am going to be yanking the 32GB mSATA SSD out of my ultrabook (as well as its 500GB 2.5") to put a 240GB 2.5" SSD in there. I already have a spare 4GB SODIMM.

So I have the memory and storage taken care of. I'd just get the one with the network port and I have my HTPC. I stream everything off my server already, so I don't need more than 32GB of storage.

That is sufficient for OS and a few add-on applications as well as maybe an installed game or two...the kind of ones I'd used on an HTPC, such as a PSX or PS2 emulator and an ISO or two (granted only one at a time, but again, network connection, pull down or just run current ISO off the network. Server has dual intel NICs in it teamed right now as well as a pair of 2TB drives in RAID0, so bandwidth across the network is not an issue).
Old 25th Feb 2013, 18:57   #10
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Correct me if I am wrong but ARM is only a temporary solution. Intel and AMD are working on some seriously low power x86 based processor and eventually they will over take ARM not just on the performance levels but on the efficiency front too.
Maybe we will see a swing away from x86 as Microsoft has embraced ARM but with the likes of next gen consoles going the way of x86 based processors I can't see x86 going anywhere too soon. As I said, once x86 can keep it's instruction sets, performance AND bring in the small scale and efficiency... there just won't be a need for ARM.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 20:12   #11
stupido
Minimodder

stupido has yet to learn the way of the Dremel

Last edited by stupido; 26th Feb 2013 at 08:46. Reason: stupidity
stupido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 23:25   #12
Boscoe
"and she'll be foamin at the vag."

Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
What's the Thunderbolt for? I thought it was an Apple thing?
Old 25th Feb 2013, 23:53   #13
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe
Uh, another one? It was developed with Intel as a development of Intel's original tech called 'Light Peak'.
It's a high speed data link, fast enough to run and several high end devices or even a fairly powerful GPU card externally.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 23:56   #14
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
As said, it's an Intel thing, and it's a mini Displayport combined with a PCI-E 2.0 x4.
Old 26th Feb 2013, 04:44   #15
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
I hate that kind of cooler (same as on notebooks). They won't last at all!

Btw, this thing will need a new case for it. I might get one just for log purposes.
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 08:06   #16
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Hmmm, with the HD4000 it's easily powerfull enough to make a HTPC, and also to replace a common grey office box.
I'd use it for that, suppose someone puts a big cooler onto that thing, you'd have a passively cooled office box, no maintainance required. Not bad at all.
(just silly to omit USB3 though)
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 08:19   #17
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If the likes of the WDTV wern't around, maybe I'd take interest. Other than digital signage and people who want a windows htpc, I see this as little more than intel trying to create a new market that, just like the netbook is under powered and needs to be upgraded regularly.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 12:25   #18
aLtikal
1338-One step infront of the pro's

aLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming SaiyanaLtikal is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ahhh if only they had given this a MOLEX power input or a SATA Power connecter, Then we could fit this inside a PC....and have a PC, within a PC ha.
aLtikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 17:16   #19
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Ha ha ha haaaaaa, there's no such thing, next you'll be telling me there's a device for telling the time off your very own wrist, stuff and nonsense
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Feb 2013, 10:40   #20
Boscoe
"and she'll be foamin at the vag."

Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Boscoe is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe
Uh, another one? It was developed with Intel as a development of Intel's original tech called 'Light Peak'.
It's a high speed data link, fast enough to run and several high end devices or even a fairly powerful GPU card externally.
Thanks, I haven't really looked but the only thing I had seen Thunderbolt on was Apple gear. Apple also kind of made it their own really...