bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 7th Mar 2013, 10:34   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Seagate announces first 3.5" hybrid hard drive

Packs 2TB of spinning rust and 8GB of flash.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...sktop-hybrid/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 14:00   #2
adam_bagpuss
Have you tried turning it off/on ?

adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
i like the idea but 8GB of Flash isnt anywhere near enough even for a hybrid drive.

id say a 2TB drive with 32 or 64GB is whats needed.

Windows 8 is around 15GB isnt it ?
Old 7th Mar 2013, 14:52   #3
tigertop1
Modder

tigertop1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have already tried a 45GB Accelerator SSD coupled to a 1Gb drive. 8GB is far too small and a minimum of 32 or 45 is really required to make the difference-but 64GB is best of all
tigertop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 23:06   #4
XXAOSICXX
Supermodder

XXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitXXAOSICXX is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_bagpuss
Windows 8 is around 15GB isnt it ?
And how much of that is actually loaded into RAM when you boot your computer? about 1.5->2GB? Add onto that, say, MS office, your steam client, a couple of applications you use the most frequently....and you're STILL not hitting 8GB.

It's a hybrid. The SSD part doesn't have to hold ALL of Windows or ALL of your Steam library. It just needs the files that you request the most frequently.
XXAOSICXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 12:58   #5
alick
Minimodder

alick has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
if all u need is 8gb catch would it be cheaper /better to by more ram and install fancy catch
http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/f...che/index.html

i got a crucail ssd catch drive and dataplex and it works wonders
when people ask i have a 1tb ssd for only 50
alick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2013, 09:32   #6
adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!adam_bagpuss - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
And how much of that is actually loaded into RAM when you boot your computer? about 1.5->2GB? Add onto that, say, MS office, your steam client, a couple of applications you use the most frequently....and you're STILL not hitting 8GB.

It's a hybrid. The SSD part doesn't have to hold ALL of Windows or ALL of your Steam library. It just needs the files that you request the most frequently.
This has nothing to do with RAM, windows isnt pre-loaded in to RAM. Windows uses RAM but it doesnt reside there.

Its exactly as you said most frequently accessed files and guess what windows files are a lot of them as well as the most popular programs you use such as games, photoshop etc 8GB just doesnt cover it

I like the idea of a hybrid drive but in reality they are arent as good as SSD and command a premium over large storage drives. If i needed both speed and storage id rather have more speed and more storage for slightly more money rather than a compromise.

seagate hyrbid 750GB 8GB FLASH = 85-90

64GB SSD + 1TB drive = 90-100

the separate drives setup is much faster hold more quick storage for critical programs and provides more general storage for more or less the same money !

Only reason to buy hybrid is for a laptop where space is limited but storage is required. The 3.5" they are going to release needs to be aggressive on price if they are to compete with a separate SSD and HDD setup
Old 10th Mar 2013, 02:12   #7
LightningPete
Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

LightningPete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_bagpuss
Quote:

This has nothing to do with RAM, windows isnt pre-loaded in to RAM. Windows uses RAM but it doesnt reside there.

Its exactly as you said most frequently accessed files and guess what windows files are a lot of them as well as the most popular programs you use such as games, photoshop etc 8GB just doesnt cover it

I like the idea of a hybrid drive but in reality they are arent as good as SSD and command a premium over large storage drives. If i needed both speed and storage id rather have more speed and more storage for slightly more money rather than a compromise.

seagate hyrbid 750GB 8GB FLASH = £85-90

64GB SSD + 1TB drive = £90-100

the separate drives setup is much faster hold more quick storage for critical programs and provides more general storage for more or less the same money !

Only reason to buy hybrid is for a laptop where space is limited but storage is required. The 3.5" they are going to release needs to be aggressive on price if they are to compete with a separate SSD and HDD setup
Not meaning to shoot you in the foot for you, but the article is for a 3.5" 2tb drive and not a 750gb and by the sounds of it getting a 1.5Tb harddrive and 64 Gb ssd or 2tb hard drive and a 32gb/64gb ssd is not going to be the same price as a 2tb hybrid somehow ? I do see your point for the lesser capacities, however i havent check that your not just guestimating those figures.
Its also a space saver not having a 2.5 and 3.5 drives but just one 3.5 drive with no need to any conversion bays, or those using mini-itx cases where one 3.5 drive is suitable - so capacity and speed together are something hard to come by.
LightningPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2013, 09:39   #8
adam_bagpuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningPete View Post
Not meaning to shoot you in the foot for you, but the article is for a 3.5" 2tb drive and not a 750gb and by the sounds of it getting a 1.5Tb harddrive and 64 Gb ssd or 2tb hard drive and a 32gb/64gb ssd is not going to be the same price as a 2tb hybrid somehow ? I do see your point for the lesser capacities, however i havent check that your not just guestimating those figures.
Its also a space saver not having a 2.5 and 3.5 drives but just one 3.5 drive with no need to any conversion bays, or those using mini-itx cases where one 3.5 drive is suitable - so capacity and speed together are something hard to come by.
I used the hybrid drive that you can buy now as i dont have a value for the new 2TB one that the article mentions but hopefully it wont follow the trend of its predecessor and command a big premium over standard HDDs

Tags
3.5", hard drive, hybrid drive, hybrid hard drive, nand flash, seagate, solid state hybrid drive, solid state storage, ssd, storage