bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Feb 2013, 08:29   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Sony announces PlayStation 4

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...laystation-4/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 08:41   #2
DBA
I do my modding with a spoon

DBA has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
"Sony also boasted about the "share" button, allowing players to instantly upload recent footage to social media sites."

It was hard to read the rest of the article after this, since I had to do it through a gigantic facepalm.
DBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 08:49   #3
barny2767
Multimodder

barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.barny2767 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
"share" button = FB and twatter spam of crappy luck shots and unedited footage. That will be the end of facebook for me as Microsoft will do the same thing now. SUCKS
AMD PII x4 980 @ 4.2ghz - watercooled with a 280mm rad - Crosshair III formula - 8Gb Mushkin DDR3 @ 1600Mhz - PNY 680GTX - 60Gb OCZ solid3 SSD - 1tb Samsung F1 HDD - Antec P193 Case -Lots of fans - Cheap 22'' 1080p Acer monitor- Cheap 2.1 logitech speakers - Razor Deathadder 3500dpi mouse - Vespula mat- Lycosa keybord
barny2767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 09:15   #4
dr-strangelove
Multimodder

dr-strangelove has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by barny2767
"share" button = FB and twatter spam of crappy luck shots and unedited footage. That will be the end of facebook for me as Microsoft will do the same thing now. SUCKS
Hopefully there will be only a month or two of spam before Facebook or Sony make it possible to filter out the junk
dr-strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 09:19   #5
will_123
Small childs brain in a big body

will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.will_123 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Will this suffer having 8 really low clocked cores? I assume that’s just to keep the power consumption as low as possible.

The "Share" button is just embarrassing, is this really what people want on their consoles? Didn’t get a Playstation 3 probably wont get this one but looks OK i suppose. Wonder how MS will match up with theirs? When is that rumored to be announced?

Web Hosting - http://www.goforthhosting.com
will_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 09:25   #6
DarkFear
Supermodder

DarkFear has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
4th paragraph, last word. "contorller" (Or at least I assume that's a typo, but since I don't own a console anymore who knows, maybe that's what the cool kids are calling it nowadays )

Here's hoping that we'll see better quality PC ports now that the lowest common denominators are being updated hardware wise...

Last edited by DarkFear; 21st Feb 2013 at 10:33.
DarkFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 09:29   #7
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_123
The "Share" button is just embarrassing, is this really what people want on their consoles?
Agreed, I felt it was overdone and I can see it being overused. Meh, the masses will love it.

Biggest point for me was the new streaming to Vita. Looks interesting if it's pulled off right.
Old 21st Feb 2013, 09:48   #8
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
It was never a problem when it was included in Just Cause, made for some nice youtube plaback, bit more of an issue in Uncharted when first released as it did spam the entire game but they fixed it.
sandys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 09:58   #9
Eggy
Multimodder

Eggy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Just read on EG that the system memory is GDDR5. So 8GB of GDDR5. That is pretty crazy.
Eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 10:11   #10
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
As expected the PC crowd are out looking for reasons to hate it.

The PS3 already has facebook integration; that isn't new. My understanding is that the Share function is more about multiplayer gaming than social media, as per the 6th paragraph in the article. That is how it is being reported elsewhere anyway.
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 10:25   #11
Eggy
Multimodder

Eggy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacuna

The PS3 already has facebook integration; that isn't new. My understanding is that the Share function is more about multiplayer gaming than social media, as per the 6th paragraph in the article. That is how it is being reported elsewhere anyway.
Apparently the streaming is kinda like twitch streaming a lot of people do these days but it's all fully integrated so that is definitely a good social feature. I suspect that this will all be behind a pay wall. Online gaming will be free but these advanced sharing features will likely be part of the PS+ subscription.

Still curious about the price though, 8 GB of GDDR5 doesn't come cheap and I don't think Sony has the means to sell this console at a heavy loss.
Eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 10:39   #12
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yeah I think it was more of a share with other PS4 gamers.

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 10:53   #13
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
8GB of GDDR5 doesn't come cheap, but it becomes significantly cheaper when you order it in quantities of over 50,000,000 units. Sony will be able to leverage bulk buying on this one to bring prices way down.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 10:59   #14
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacuna
We're an elitist bunch of a**holes aren't we

I don't hate it, quite like it, but not enough info to make a sound judgement yet.

Not surprised there's a lot of Diablo 3/Blizzard hate - D3 is a super hardcore bunch who were let down by D3 PC
Old 21st Feb 2013, 11:11   #15
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Kudos to Sony for conspiring to kill Facebook and Twitter with video spam - best news ever.

The PS4 will still be pants though.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 11:16   #16
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Grumpy old git also concurs that if you are in your teens, a SHARE button will make you wet your underware. If you older, it merely makes us grind our teeth in to powder.
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 11:19   #17
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Probably the only thing that would stop me buying right away is lack of backwards compatibility, I have a huge gaming backlog on PS3, with PS3 launch I bought the odd PS3 title but mainly played old PS2 games I was catching up on, I wouldn't have this option so would probably be a while before I jump ship.

Don't have space for more boxes in my cabinet, it's one out, one in.
sandys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 11:39   #18
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This sounds pretty cool, the part where you can stream a game easily is quite cool, especially when a friend can join in. Also I have been increasingly using my ps3 as a media centre, so all the new features and power will make it much better for that use.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 12:16   #19
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
The GPU part is really impressive - the quoted 1.8 teraflops figure would place its performance between a Radeon 7850 and 7870. Very comparable to a mid-range PC graphics card. The 8GB of GDDR5 also means we won't be stuck with half-assed low-res textures in games ported over from consoles, and the x86 design means a lot more common code between the two.

As a PC gamer with no interest in consoles, the PS4 should be a good thing overall for the games industry
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Feb 2013, 12:25   #20
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Apparently Sony will NOT block second hand games

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ock-used-games
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote