bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:11   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Windows Blue to launch in August, claims source

Microsoft moves to Apple-style release schedule.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/20...-blue-august/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:18   #2
tigertop1
Modder

tigertop1 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Maybe an opportunity for MS to address the concerns of many, like me who just plain dislike the current funtionality of Windows 8 -but I would not put money on that happening.
tigertop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:18   #3
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
That's immensely irritating, especially since windows is expensive for an OS.
Uni Box:i5 2500K@5GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 240|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz(in blue)|EVGA GTX670SC 4GB+EK FC670|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Denon 5000|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:20   #4
Hamfunk
I AM KROGAN!

Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.Hamfunk is definitely a rep cheat.
Windows XP launched in 2001 and was replaced by Windows 7 in 2009, which was in turn replaced by Windows 8 in 2012

Fixed that for you. Most people didn't bother with Vista and those that did, wished they hadn't. Myself included in the latter category.

Edit: I also don't plan to upgrade from Win7 anytime soon.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:25   #5
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
like Windows 8 users might be upgrading sooner rather than later.
I wouldn't count on that either, I'll upgrade to the next version of windows which offers tangible improvements or the first version to drop metro
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:25   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
That's immensely irritating, especially since windows is expensive for an OS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
If you think that's a little soon to be splashing out on a new operating system, there's good news coming with it: an upgrade to Windows Blue will be provided to Windows 8 owners free of charge, as with previous Service Pack releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamfunk View Post
Most people didn't bother with Vista and those that did, wished they hadn't. Myself included in the latter category.
Nevertheless, Windows Vista was the official replacement for Windows XP.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:42   #7
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I don't know why people hate on Vista so much... I thought it was pretty damn good to be honest.. Well, better than XP Pro x64..

i'm still on 7 because I honestly see zero reason to upgrade to 8.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:42   #8
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
If they want to compete on the annual release front, they'll have to reduce the price accordingly too. Apple can get away with it partially down to how you only have to pay 25 or so, or less even. For those who like to pay for their OS, it makes it a worthwhile upgrade at that price point. If they continue with the 50-80 price, then they can't expect to face as many people willing to upgrade each year.
Maki role is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:50   #9
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamfunk View Post
Fixed that for you. Most people didn't bother with Vista and those that did, wished they hadn't. Myself included in the latter category.
If you put it on a computer with 2GB and singlecore CPU, then Vista had every right to be slow. On dual-core or better and 4GB or more it ran just fine. The primary issue with Vista was NVIDIA (and their crappy Vista drivers) and people trying to run it on old computers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
...or the first version to drop metro
So you will never upgrade ?
Old 25th Feb 2013, 10:53   #10
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
So you will never upgrade ?
I stuck with Win2000 until 2006 when I had to "upgrade" to xp to get SLI to work and only just "upgraded" from XP to 8 a few months ago. I have some serious staying power!
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:02   #11
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
I wonder what this rapid release cycle will do to drivers. Device and peripheral manufacturers may see this as an opportunity to cash in on drivers not being compatible between releases.
theshadow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:10   #12
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm going to stick with windows 7 for the next 7 years, unless M$ manage to mesh Metro with the desktop in a better way than it currently is.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:12   #13
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
I personally think at the price point they are in dream land.

If windows 8 cost 35-40 and these updates where 20-25 each then they may get upgraders.

If they try charging 80 for windows blue it will be the lowest selling OS of all time.

Vista was fine people moan about it all the time but strictly speaking if you ran it on a modern computer it was a flawless OS with a few niggles. Nvidia drivers were awful but besides that most other items ran without issues.

It will be years before i upgrade from windows 7 they will need to give me a reason to ugprade that is yet to really be seen.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:19   #14
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role View Post
If they want to compete on the annual release front, they'll have to reduce the price accordingly too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
If they try charging 80 for windows blue it will be the lowest selling OS of all time.
Okay, seriously now people. I'd like to propose a new workflow: click on article -> read article -> comment on article. I feel this would be a distinct improvement on the current workflow of: click on article -> comment on article. Especially when said article says this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
If you think that's a little soon to be splashing out on a new operating system, there's good news coming with it: an upgrade to Windows Blue will be provided to Windows 8 owners free of charge, as with previous Service Pack releases.
Just a suggestion, like.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:26   #15
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Gareth, I think your on the wrong track here. Since the early days of the internet the accepted workflow has been read headline -> comment. The problem is we're all to polite to respond with the accepted nae expected RTFA NOOB!

Correct accepted workflow should go:
read headline -> comment -> take umbrage at comment -> start flame war.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:28   #16
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Rumors are always that just rumors, but i have read that Window Blue may include IE11 as well.

And maybe integrating Bing with the search charm in a better way, i wounder if Google and other search engines will take issue with this like we had with IE being packaged in previous OS's

Last edited by Corky42; 25th Feb 2013 at 11:30. Reason: For a cup of tea
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:33   #17
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Your the one that posts these rumours to begin with Gareth.

And most of the rumours ive read on the internet suggest a high price point and it wont be included for free.

Im surprised we have not started to see all of apples rumours posted like another site has recently started doing, Its not real news just space fillers.
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:38   #18
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Your the one that posts these rumours to begin with Gareth.
Didn't know Gareth works for ZDNet and trying to hide that under picture and name of a woman :
http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-next...ew-7000011728/
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:41   #19
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

so hes posting other peoples rumours sweet.

Does that not make it worse lol?
Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:50   #20
Corky42
Mod Master

Quote:
so hes posting other peoples rumours sweet.

Does that not make it worse lol?
No worse than trying to debate one rumor with another rumor, all these rumors come from Win8china so its probably best to take them with a rather hefty pinch on salt.

Tags
microsoft windows, operating system, rumour, win8china, windows, windows 8, windows blue