bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Feb 2013, 11:06   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel teases 22nm tri-gate Atom system-on-chip parts

Merrifield heading to production 2H13.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...el-22nm-atom/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 12:44   #2
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr7NUXOZZFY
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024
law99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 13:22   #3
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Rather than post a &%/( youtube vid - Ill merely say bleh.... Atom was wrong and poor when it came out and has caught up little in the past 5 years
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 14:23   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark View Post
Rather than post a &%/( youtube vid - Ill merely say bleh.... Atom was wrong and poor when it came out and has caught up little in the past 5 years
Atoms are actually quiet OK. The only thing they lack is GPU-performance. I have a Zotac IONITX A-E (Atom 330 with GeForce-9400) for a few years now running as a HTPC and it has enough power really to playback any media I throw at it. It's even powerful enough to play some older games at 1080p without problems.

The newer chips like the N2800 are not bad either, and the iGPU is powerful enough to playback BluRay-media aswell, and it draws way less power, then my old solution.
When they move from 32nm to 22nm the TDP will drop even further and maybe they'll use the headroom for a more powerful iGPU to make the package better.

The problem with the Atoms in the mobile-market is it's x86-architecture. Developers have grown up with ARM in this sector and simply don't want to adopt to x86, allthough the mobile Atoms, like the Atom Z2760 have proven to be as powerful and efficient as the best ARM-packages allready.

The biggest advantage of the mobile Atoms really is the Windows-compatibility that allows to run native x86-software and it's really a shame that Microsoft uses the Tegra3 in the Surface RT, as the Z2760 is better in all aspects. I think Microsoft has taken the wrong turn here by going with an ARM-SoC.

The next year will tell, if intel can gain some ground in the mobile market, but this only depends on the developers really, as the new intel chips are not the problem to begin with.

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 14:28   #5
law99
Custom User Title

law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.law99 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark
Alright buddy. Calm down. As the song says:

Tease me, tease me, tease me Tease me baby,
till I lose control
Tease me with your love until I lose control
Take all my body and soul,

Not F&$! Mate, your Atom is $)(!^. Boom... lost it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
Atoms are actually quiet OK.
Do you mean Quiet OK. Like, don't say it too loud or it'll wake the neighbours, and they might have a thing or two to say about that!

OR: It's ok.
3570k WC @ 4.7giggles | 8gb Kingston 2133mhz | ASUS Sabertooth Z77 | R9 290 (awaiting wc block... ) | Seasonic x-660w | NZXT 810 switch | Crucial M4 128gb | 2x F3 1tb Raid 1 | NZXT Sentry 6ch 50w fan controller | eyefinity 4112x1024

Last edited by law99; 25th Feb 2013 at 14:31. Reason: I'm a *****
Old 25th Feb 2013, 16:23   #6
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by law99 View Post
Do you mean Quiet OK. Like, don't say it too loud or it'll wake the neighbours, and they might have a thing or two to say about that!

OR: It's ok.
Atoms are fine, OK, allright, whatever term suits you...

Stop using social networks and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 17:01   #7
Speed
I'm all you need!

Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.Speed is definitely a rep cheat.
Think he means you mixed up quiet and quite!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 17:12   #8
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
[QUOTE=jrs77]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark View Post
The biggest advantage of the mobile Atoms really is the Windows-compatibility that allows to run native x86-software and it's really a shame that Microsoft uses the Tegra3 in the Surface RT, as the Z2760 is better in all aspects. I think Microsoft has taken the wrong turn here by going with an ARM-SoC.

The next year will tell, if intel can gain some ground in the mobile market, but this only depends on the developers really, as the new intel chips are not the problem to begin with.
+1

My thoughts exactly. Everyone seems very hostile against the latest Atom chips but compared to alternatives they perform very well, plus being x86 are ideal for low-powered productivity.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Feb 2013, 18:26   #9
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I just put 2GB of RAM and a SSD in my 2010 Eee netbook and it's totally a different computer now. Well, before I don't know if I would have called it a computer to be honest. Now I can play anything up to 720 in VLC and I haven't run into an embedded video on a webpage that wouldn't play properly in Firefox flash player. It's just too bad I can't upgrade the horrible 1024x600 LCD *puke*
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 08:19   #10
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
I still like my Atom eee netbook.
It's no powerhouse for sure but the battery still lasts about 8 hours. Don't know about HD playback but it suffices for DVD quality.
Yeah the LCD is a bit small and it doesn't support digital output.
Maybe i should look for one of the later makes.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 10:53   #11
law99
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed
Think he means you mixed up quiet and quite!
Yep.

To be fair, unless you were doing only playback of media, the atom used to be unacceptable. You could use and SSD, more RAM etc... but you were always only going to be doing the most basic of tasks.

As long as you were aware of that before the PC World salesman told you it would set your world on fire and you could edit video, run anti-virus scans and watch pron all at the same time because it's a dual core, you were fine.
Old 27th Feb 2013, 09:20   #12
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
No, I surf and type a bit, if that's what you expect they perform well.
If you buy a netbook for videoediting, well the name shoud have been a clue
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
22nm, arm, atom, clover trail+, clovertrail+, cortex-a15, exynos, exynos 5 octa, intel, merrifield, nvidia, smartphone, soc, system on chip, tablet, tegra 4, z2520, z2560, z2580