bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 26th Feb 2013, 09:55   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
AMD unveils TressFX Hair simulation technology

Helps Lara Croft gets the salon look.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar.../amd-tressfx/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 10:36   #2
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I hope this wont be an exclusive to head hair - i want my muscly shirtless soldier to proudly boast some realistic chest hair too!
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 10:39   #3
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I was thinking other hair....
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:01   #4
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
sorry, my soldier waxes below
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:05   #5
M_D_K
Kiteninja

M_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youM_D_K - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
2 posts to get to smut lol.
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:09   #6
Lenderz
Supermodder

Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Lenderz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Fully expect it to be exclusive and driver dependant/controlled, much like physx is on Nvidia cards, theres no reason it couldn't run on AMD cards, but both want a competitive advantage. Why should AMD enable this on Nvidia cards whilst Nvidia don't enable their tech they put their R&D time into on AMD cards.

There is a cost to developing these technologies and they recoup by shifting boxes.
Lenderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:14   #7
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
TRESemmé professional, affordable
On a more serious note, i would have expected a video showing it off not just stills.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:21   #8
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
nVidia has those fancy hair-stuff for some time now, but noone has really implemented it into their games, so why should anyone consider the solution made by AMD? Maybe because the new consoles have an impact on this with their AMD-hardware.

In general: old news is old.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:37   #9
Deders
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.Deders is definitely a rep cheat.
Is it really "worth it"
i5 750@3800 - MSI P55 GD65 - Asus GTX780 DirectCU II OC 3GB @1215 & 7000 - 8GB Gskill RipjawsX DDR3 @1800 8-9-8 - Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 500W - Nanoxia Deep Silence One - X-FI Xtreme Gamer - Samsung 830 128GB - Spinpoint F3 1TB - WD RE4 2TB - WD Caviar Blue 640 - Dell U2913WM - Logitech G19 - Corsair M65 - Thermaltake Contac 29 with Noctua NF-F12 PWM.
Deders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:40   #10
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Pity there isn't a video.

This is actually something I think could potentially be really good (if it's well implemented and widely used) since hair is something that normally really does remind you you're playing a game.
Old 26th Feb 2013, 11:42   #11
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenderz View Post
Why should AMD enable this on Nvidia cards whilst Nvidia don't enable their tech they put their R&D time into on AMD cards.
But Nvidia's implementation of PhysX is written in CUDA, which (given they hired the guy who invented it) only works on Nvidia hardware; TressFX Hair, by contrast, is written in DirectCompute, which works on both Nvidia and AMD hardware. Thus there is a technical reason (born, admittedly, of a marketing decision) for PhysX to run exclusively on Nvidia hardware that does not exist for TressFX Hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
nVidia has those fancy hair-stuff for some time now, but noone has really implemented it into their games, so why should anyone consider the solution made by AMD?
Well then AMD is ahead of the game, 'cos they've already got one win in the bag: as the article states, Tomb Raider features TressFX Hair technology.
Quote:
In general: old news is old.
Given AMD only announced this late last night, after teasing a couple of hints a day or so ago, I'm curious as to how you're categorising this as "old news." I should be building a time machine and bringing you news from next week, perhaps?
Old 26th Feb 2013, 12:14   #12
Archandel
What's a Dremel?

Archandel has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Realistic P0RN game anyone? Puhlease?! Pretty please?!
Archandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 13:29   #13
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
what can pics show u of realistic hair??? thats like showing u realistic gravity and physics with pics. ai
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 13:56   #14
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Just received confirmation from AMD: TressFX Hair is compatible with any DirectX11 GPU, including those made by Nvidia. I thought as much - what a cleverly-worded press release!
Old 26th Feb 2013, 14:38   #15
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Just received confirmation from AMD: TressFX Hair is compatible with any DirectX11 GPU, including those made by Nvidia. I thought as much - what a cleverly-worded press release!
That is great news to be honest, it would be beneficial to consumers if both NVidia and AMD shared software tech more.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 15:12   #16
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Just updated the update - as well as word from an unnamed spokesperson (Pro Tip: if a journalist quotes a "company spokesperson," what they actually mean is "PR person from a third-party outfit hired to represent the company" - but don't tell anyone I told you that, it's a secret) I've received the following from Devon Nekechuck, AMD's terribly genial product manager for the High-End Discrete Desktop Graphics division:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon Nekechuck
TressFX will definitely work on any DirectCompute-enabled device. This has roots in the core of Gaming Evolved, where we want to enable technology for all gamers, and not create proprietary features that lock out gamers that use our competitor's products. That said, TressFX is very computationally intensive, and hence games that use TressFX will really be able to benefit from high DirectCompute performance. Because of that, you will see Graphics Core Next-based GPUs excel when it's enabled.
Old 26th Feb 2013, 15:34   #17
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Given AMD only announced this late last night, after teasing a couple of hints a day or so ago, I'm curious as to how you're categorising this as "old news." I should be building a time machine and bringing you news from next week, perhaps?
It's old because nVidia is showcasing this technology for over a year now.

AMD must have paid alot of money to get this implemented into Tomb Raider, or it's because of the new consoles using AMD-hardware.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 15:43   #18
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
It's old because nVidia is showcasing this technology for over a year now.
No, Nvidia hasn't been showcasing anything like this. You show me a single DirectCompute-powered hair rendering engine released by Nvidia. Go ahead. I'll wait here.

Now, what Nvidia *did* release a couple of years back - and the release that, I believe, has you confused - was a demo of a hair-rendering engine. This engine was not available to developers as a plug-in they could add to their games, and nor was it new even then: Nvidia has been working on realistic hair rendering for years. Heck, here's a SIGGRAPH paper from 2008 all about the subject.

Compare and contrast with AMD, which has released a working hair rendering engine that is compatible with all DirectCompute-enabled graphics cards and can be licensed right damn now for inclusion into a game - hence its appearance in Tomb Raider.

That is what we in the business call 'news.'
Old 26th Feb 2013, 16:23   #19
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffter
what can pics show u of realistic hair??? thats like showing u realistic gravity and physics with pics. ai
Yeah they really need to release a video of it in "action".
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2013, 18:15   #20
yougotkicked
A.K.A. YGKtech

yougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremelyougotkicked has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
glad to see it's not going to be an exclusive. Nvidia's PhysX was a great graphics feature that almost no one has used since mirrors edge because it was proprietary, developers don't want to invest time in a feature only half of their fans will be able to use.
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 1GB ::::: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
128GB Intel SSD :::: 2x WD 1TB drives in RAID 1
yougotkicked is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amd, crystal dynamics, directcompute, directx, hair simulation, radeon, radeon hd, real-time rendering, square enix, tressfx, tressfx hair