1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling A tale of watercooling a Fractal Design Define XL R2 (finished!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Korvus, 27 Feb 2013.

1. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

I got the case!
    [​IMG]
    (pardon the dust marks on the camera lens. Need to clean that)

It's very well made :D

Now, how to watercool it. Have a rough idea what I'm going to do but have some questions first:

1) Are the Hardware Labs radiators any good or are these outdated by newer radiators? Looking at a 280 SR1 and a 280 GTS for the front and top respectively.

2) Is it worth using a shroud of any kind with the radiators?

3A) Which is quieter, a D5 or a DDC?

3B) For combined pump/res combos - how quiet are these?

4) What's the best CPU waterblock thesedays? Looking at the Raystorm currently.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2013
  2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

1) Dunno.
    2) Looks?
    3) D5. The DDC vibrate like a horny rabbit.
    4) Depends on the pump used.
    5) Most are close in performance, pick the nicest looking one.

Korvus likes this.
  3. Korvus

:eyebrow: Not heard it described like that before.... don't want to know how you came to that conclusion either :eeek:

Thanks for the info though :D

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

1) They are still decent rads, but newer Phobya or Alphacool models will perform better. Any reason why you're looking at a mixture of high and low FPI rads?

2) The plus side of the SR1 is you don't need a shroud - there is a considerable gap between the fan mount and the fins. Although, I wouldn't bother much about a shroud anyway.

3) D5 Vario, probably. Although a properly decoupled 18W DDC is perfectly quiet, and 10W DDC are barely detectable in my experience.

3a (you have two 3s) The drivebay pump/res combos are harder to isolate, but something like a decoupled DDC or D5 with a res top is absolutely fine. Shoggy Sandwich for teh win!

4) Debatable - There isn't a lot between the newer models TBH. I like the look of the Raystorm though.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2013
  5. Korvus

I think that's my decision made on CPU block and pump (raystorm/d5) - thanks for the input :D
    Also thanks for info on the res/pump combo!

You mention about the FPI count, with the slimmer rads they tend to have higher FPI... what difference does this make in practice assuming same fans?

6. David

Higher FPI rads perform better with higher, and usually louder, CFM fans.

I can understand the desire for a skinny rad for space reasons (I have a similar combo) but, if I were to do it again, I'd go low FPI all the way.

7. Korvus

What 280mm slim radiator would you recommend?

8. David

Are you limited to 30mm, because there are some excellent 45mm rads out there.

If you are limited, I'd go for a 240mm for the skinny rad.

Aquatuning clicky

9. Korvus

45mm MIGHT fit. MIGHT. It'll be VERY VERY tight. there's 68mm of space....
    45+25=70mm.... :worried:

10. David

Argh, the Alphacool XT45 is actually 46mm thick. Only you can say whether you can squeeze it in - you may have a few mil of overlap on the edge of the mobo.

adidan likes this.
  11. Korvus

Need to do some test fitting I think... hmmm.

12. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Maybe i've been lucky or perhaps it's using XSPC res tops on them (obviously adding some weight to the things), but both of my DCC Ultras have been great without any of the noise/vibration people have mentioned...

...both just sit loose on the bottom of their respective cases.

One's been running for over 4.5 years & the other a bit over 7 months less so, although they both came from WCUK, it's unlikely, imho, to be from some magical extra quiet batch.

Otherwise, you 'could' consider externally mounting a rad using something like a Phobya Radiator Stand to give greater flexibility on what you buy...

(i personally use a 360 GTX on this machine & a 480 GTX on the 'proper' one)

...&, from my own experience back in the 2010, noticeably cooler temps (both for component in the loop & case temps) than internal mounting with an otherwise identical setup - other than longer tubing naturally.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The 45mm rads + 25mm fans do fit into the top of the XL R2, as the mainboard is a little more to the side, while the rads are dead-center. Only problem might be, that you can't install a 140mm fan in the back, but 120mm still fits. Depends a little bit on the rad really and where you have the fittings.

I'd go with two Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 280mm and a XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.1/4" Reservoir with a D5, as this is probably the most elegant way to install a pump and a reservoir into a space that's not needed otherwise anyways. Who uses four 5.1/4"?!?

14. Korvus

Done some test fitting with cardboard templates and it seems, with my motherboard (Asus z77 Sabretooth) the fitting is just too close and something will foul. Shame really they don't do a 30mm 280 rad :c. Thanks for info on that Res though, may go with it :D

Looks like the SR1 280 would be the best candidate (that will fit) in the front as there is only 320mm of vertical space, the SR1 280 handily being 316mm tall while the alphacools are 324mm. As for the roof... tempted to instead go for a sr1 140 at the back if the GTS is a bad choice. I like brand parity..:worried: Any other 30mm 280 rads that may work that are of decent quality?

The reason I'm going for 140mm BTW is to keep things as quiet as possible, something I've always tried for but ended up compromising on and then eventually disregarding.

15. David

If you go for a 240mm Rad in the roof, will it still foul something? You'll be spoilt for choice on 30mm-45mm thick 240mm rads.

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

17. Korvus

Unfortunately yes, the sabertooth has that thermal shield thing around the motherboard which sticks out enough to cause issues with the fans on a 45mm thick rad :grr:
    Aye but the GTS and the EX are both high FPI radiators, and apparantly you "need" high-power fans or they are not too good. How true is this? Can I get away with low speed fans?

18. David

I didn't say they weren't any good, but you do need more powerful (and therefore louder) fans to get the best out of high FPI rads. It just seems at odds with the low FPI of your front rad.

From my experience, I would go for low FPI all round - good cooling with the potential for a very quiet rig, as opposed to slightly better cooling and more noise.

19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Problem with low FPI-rads is, that most of them won't fit in an unmodded XL R2. There'll allways be drawbacks, if you're looking for a solution that doesn't require some modifications, but if we go down the route then why not simply buy a Phobya Xtreme NOVA Radiator Bundle or attach an Alphacool Cape Cora HF 1042 on either sidepanel of the case for total silence.

Korvus likes this.
  20. Korvus

Two SR1s it is then I think, with that XSPC res/pump and a Raystorm cpu block :D Should continue the sleek look of the fractal case :) Thanks for the help everyone.

The two I'm looking at should fit nicely front/back. External rads would not work with this case I think, would spoil the clean looks. Thanks for the info though :)

Next questions then:
    * Fittings, tubing: will be going with 10/13mm (3/8" 5/8") tubing, likely white to match the case's colour scheme. What's the best tubing/compression fittings without spending crazy money like Bitspower?

*Fan controllers: any preferences? (Those with thicker speed dials may not fit given the case however.)

Random fun fact, the case has a little "thumbscrew" half to go over the standoffs to screw them in. This case is full of clever suprises.