bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Feb 2013, 17:16   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel Haswell E launch rumoured for 2013

Intel's enthusiast series skipping Ivy Bridge, claims source.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...el-haswell-e/1

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 28th Feb 2013 at 17:31.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 17:27   #2
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
'Gamers', heh.. Probably not a lot of gamers buying this.

Benchmark enthusiasts, overclockers, and people with money to burn who boost their ego by posting computer pictures on forums are the target market for these.
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 17:29   #3
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
So, a large proportion of the readership of this site then?
Old 28th Feb 2013, 17:51   #4
MrGumby
CPC 464 User

MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
This puts the cat among the pigeons, for people who went for a i7 3820 and were waiting to see what ivy -e would bring to the table.
MrGumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:13   #5
Pookie
FHRITP!

Pookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming SaiyanPookie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
High end platforms seem to alway's get a bum deal. Im pretty sure I read (several Years ago) that sandybridge chips would make an appearance on X58. At the time it was just a rumor such as this, but probably affected peoples purchasing decisions. I always assume that one socket will see one generation and consider it a bonus if it doesnt.
Fractal R4/ GA-X58A-UD3R / Corsair RM850/ Westmere Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz Hex core / Corsair H60 (2013 Model) with 2 x Corsair SP120 / Corsair Force GT 120 SSD /Sapphire R9 290X / 12GB (3x4GB)Corsair Dominator 1600mhz with Airflow Kit / AOC i2757fm 27" IPS Monitor/ Razer Lachesis.
Rotel RA-02 Amplifier/ B&W DM601 S3/ QED XT350 With Airlock plugs/All QED Interconnects.

http://www.compucare.co.uk/
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:27   #6
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
And professionals of course. Main usage is probably 3d render and bid or photo editting
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 20:04   #7
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman
Benchmark enthusiasts, overclockers, and people with money to burn who boost their ego by posting computer pictures on forums are the target market for these.
Actually, don't forget about pros running rendering or other intensive multi-threaded programs who basically need a more consumer-friendly Xeon on a budget. Same holds for the GeForce Titan - it'll be very useful for those who need the Tesla K20 on a budget.
r3loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 20:30   #8
azazel1024
Supermodder

azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.azazel1024 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Depending on what Haswell-E offers for low end, I might consider it at some point. Or Broadwell-E (if such a thing ever exists). I don't strictly NEED it, but if the boards aren't "uber" expensive compared to regular Haswell/Boardwell and the "low end" processors are hexacore at least by that point, it might be worth it for me. I do a fair amount of transcoding, which I don't NEED a faster processor than my 3570, but it wouldn't hurt ot have. I also do a LOT of photoediting...and per op, it wouldn't save me a lot of time, but a lot of stuff I do I regularly see all 4 cores pegged at 95+%.

A savings of 30-40% (for 6 cores + possibly hyperthreading over just 4 cores with no hyperthreading) in time, plus the architectual improvements over Ivy from Haswell and Broadwell (I assume Broadwell will have SOMETHING up its sleeve, even if it isn't much) would be worth while. Photo editing/photography isn't much job, but it is a major, major hobby and cutting 30-40% of time out of the "sitting and waiting for the hour glass to spin" (metaphorically speaking) could easily save me 10-15 minutes in some of my medium sized editing jobs (when sifting/editing dozens to a hundred or two images). On some of my bigger jobs it could easily be 15-20 minutes of savings.

With 3 young kids and the frequency of editing/picture taking, that could be saving me an hour or so a month. Doesn't sound like much...but man, I'd KILL to get an hour of free time back every month.

Anyway, that is more by way of saying if/when I am ready to upgrade my system again, if I can get a $150-200 motherboard and a $350-400 processor that is Hexacore compared to a $120-150 motherboard and $200-250 quad core processor (assuming Haswell and Boardwell continue with quad core being the most you get in the mainline of processors) might be worth it next time around.

Though if the hexa core processors remain $500+, etc...not worth it.
Old 28th Feb 2013, 20:58   #9
littlepuppi
Currently playing MWO and loving it

littlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Harsh fir those that went for x79 with an eye to ivy... Im not too sure i believe this is whats going to happen though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
250GB Evo | 1TB SSHD | 500GB SATA
littlepuppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 20:58   #10
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Why would intel charge less for a 6 core CPU with AMD a none player in that level of performance.

This is no great shocks in truth as ivy bridge is probably struggling to stay within the thermal envelope already.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 21:11   #11
bdigital
Is re-building his PC again

bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.
Im still considering going x79. Just cant decide whether to do it for my photo editing rig or my gaming one!

Check out my Apline White TJ07 - Case Mod and Water cooled build. http://www.flickr.com/photos/6188486...7631486959032/
bdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 21:55   #12
littlepuppi
Currently playing MWO and loving it

littlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If this is true could be some bargains coming up for u matey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
250GB Evo | 1TB SSHD | 500GB SATA
littlepuppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2013, 00:34   #13
genesisofthesith
complete spanner

genesisofthesith has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Unless something is off with the engineering samples which would require too much redesign work to get a shipping product out it would make more sense to release Ivy Bridge-E, even if under the radar, to act as a drop-in replacement for those with existing systems.

But longer term, Intel do need to move up their release cadence in regards to the enthusiast platform coming out after the mainstream - perhaps even the high-end getting the new microarchitectures first on the die-shrinks (when the processes are proven) - or drop the enthusiast desktop line and differentiate Xeons further.

If the market for extreme editions is really that great you could release one on the mainstream platform, either by restricting unlocked multipliers as in the past, or by releasing a MCM with two mainstream die.
Old 1st Mar 2013, 00:56   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel are happy with there server profits I'd imagine to worry about what happens to a small market segment.

The fact we have not seen ivy e by now suggests we won't see it at all.

If AMD were competitive we would of seen a mainstream 6 core CPU by now but the fact is they are not at all competitive and intel does not see the point. When a 3770k is faster than everything adding a 6 core CPU at that price point that's even faster does not make good business sence.

AMDs lack of competitive ability at the high end is starting to hit home on the consumer market for builders. If you want a fast 6 core CPU your paying a premium like it or lump it.

Intel must sell them or they would of reduced the price.

AMD ran a similar thing in the old fx days with overpriced CPUs. Them days intel would always come good, can not say i expect AMD to turn this around.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2013, 02:17   #15
MrGumby
CPC 464 User

MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.MrGumby is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I wonder what the yields are for intels dual, quad and above. Would be interesting to see if the high premium for 6 core + was purely because they can or wether poorer yields push the price of many cores up. Id guess it would be a mix of both.
MrGumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2013, 11:10   #16
phuzz
This is a title

phuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for presidentphuzz should be considered for president
I'm not finding myself being CPU bound with a 3570, but then I rarely had problems with my old C2D right up until a few months ago.
phuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2013, 11:22   #17
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGumby View Post
I wonder what the yields are for intels dual, quad and above. Would be interesting to see if the high premium for 6 core + was purely because they can or wether poorer yields push the price of many cores up. Id guess it would be a mix of both.
"High premium" is funny thing to say for Intel CPU pricing, as it was like this for long time. Extreme CPU for $999, second best for $500 (enthusiast), third best for $300 (top mainstream) and from there as it seems fit for current product line.

And $500 isn't a premium price. $3616 per 8-core Xeon with support for 4 socket boards is the premium price .
Old 1st Mar 2013, 11:53   #18
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:

Worst "I have no money" post ever.
Old 1st Mar 2013, 13:13   #19
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty
Quote:

Worst "I have no money" post ever.
+1 I Lol'd
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2013, 17:37   #20
dyzophoria
Supermodder

dyzophoria has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have to admit I'm disappointed since the primary reason I bought a asus rampage iv board about a year ago was to hopefully slap in a ivy bridge 2011 counterpart,lol, oh well, til my next upgrade then

Tags
cpu, haswell, haswell e, intel, ivy bridge e, lga 2011, processor, sandy bridge e, x79, x99