bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 28th Feb 2013, 17:14   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
EA bringing micro-transactions to all future games

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen has said that the publisher is building micro-transactions into all of its future titles.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...to-all-futur/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 17:15   #2
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
People still buy EA games?
Old 28th Feb 2013, 17:32   #3
mdshann
Modder

mdshann has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I sure as hell don't, and definitely won't be any time soon.
mdshann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 17:47   #4
DLDeadbolt
Space Cadet

DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.DLDeadbolt is definitely a rep cheat.
EA can go **** themselves
DLDeadbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 17:51   #5
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
Didnt think playing games would ever get to this stage.

I dont like the greed, so cant see me buying any of their future titles either, this pushes it too far for me, so they wont get owt in future.
PabloFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:05   #6
Joey Propane
Supermodder

Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshann View Post
I sure as hell don't, and definitely won't be any time soon.
Pretty much this, I would rather like to play Crysis 3 actually, but not enough to install Origin on my PC again...
Joey Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:12   #7
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
I don't buy EA games anymore either. But I guess some people still buy their game and the micro transactions as well.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:14   #8
Ream
Multimodder

Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Ream - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
RIP game mods. You will be missed.

If its going to become standard to do this I may have to find another hobby.
Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:17   #9
Apexgun
What's a Dremel?

Apexgun has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Unless the RRP would drop (which EA is "famously" known for doing) by a significant percentage this would just show that EA aren't even going to try and hide there money grabbing directive in "all of its future games".
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:26   #10
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.PabloFunky is definitely a rep cheat.
With people now (if working) are typically earning less money than they did many years ago and prices are higher than they have ever been.

Singleplayer (which i only play) are now only typically 6 hours of gameplay only.

The gameplay we do get isnt worth(IMO) the up to 40 we have to pay already

Im sure im not the only one in this position, but i also agree pcs are becoming a poor hobby for me now.

Im fed up with the im not making much money, so they put prices up, so they make even less profit, not more as we just wont buy them, simple as.

I feel if prices went down more people would buy games, therefore overall, more profit for companies, but i feel they dont see this.
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:40   #11
Malvolio

Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Malvolio is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
To coincide with "Pay2Win" I suggest we coin a new term: Pay2Cheat.

The days of firing up a hex editor to hack in unlimited ammo or heath during a single player campaign to have a laugh about with are over, as we are entering an age wherein - with some probability - this type of activity would logically have to lead to your game being locked, even potentially your license to use it taken away entirely. Why? Well how can a company support or justify such a massive back-end payment scheme such as was outlined in the article to handle microtransactions when they allow a user to do the same activity without payment? Financially it doesn't make sense to allow such behaviour in any way.

Thus I would posit that the next form of DRM we will see as pervasive within the PC gaming industry will be much the same as we witnessed with Diablo III. You want to use that license for a game you purchased? Then you'll have to be connected to the providers servers with your game constantly verifying that you've not done something which isn't explicitly allowed by the mechanics of the game.

Please note that I deeply hope the above is Chicken Little-esque scaremongering and that it never comes to pass, but given the fact that several larger publishers are moving towards both F2P and microtransaction models, it seems all too possible. For those that enjoy playing about with the back end of a game, that enjoy modifying and cheating their single player, offline experiences, days may just be numbered.
Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:43   #12
pantalaimon
Minimodder

pantalaimon has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sadly people do go for it and they are capitalising on it.
pantalaimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 18:47   #13
PabloFunky
Ultramodder

I do feel the above is very true.

Whilst people decide to pay for it, companies will continue to do this.

Its nice to see that were all agreed on here though that it sucks.

On the plus side, in the future kids will be alot healthier, as they will be outside doing actual healthy things and not sitting infront of a screen in their spare time

Last edited by PabloFunky; 28th Feb 2013 at 18:53.
Old 28th Feb 2013, 19:13   #14
mikeyandrewb
Multimodder

mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Vote with your wallets people!
mikeyandrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 19:14   #15
MagicBoy
What's a Dremel?

MagicBoy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
EA are evil. End of.
MagicBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 19:35   #16
Jim
Ineptimodder

Jim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for presidentJim should be considered for president
The only way this will work out for me is if they continue to release GotY or Ultimate packs a couple of years after release for 5-10.

There's no way in hell I'm paying 20 for add-ons after I've already paid for the game, as seems to be the case in Dragon Age and Mass Effect. So I haven't played them yet, and probably never will.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 19:41   #17
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.loftie is definitely a rep cheat.
I can see it now.

EA 2014: We're building into all our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level of graphical settings or to add audio, keyboard and mouse support, the ability to use a monitor, whatever it might be, he said.

Modular Gaming Experience.
Old 28th Feb 2013, 19:41   #18
Aracos
Elite

Aracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run CrysisAracos can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyandrewb
I'd like to say that I'll join in that campaign but I honestly can't remember when the last time I bought an EA game was.
Ragnarok: i5 750 @ 3200MHz | Titan Fenrir | MSI P55-GD65 | 8GiB Vengence 1600MHz CAS 9 | 1GiB 6950 DirectCU II | 60GB Crucial M4 | Samsung F3 500GB | Samsung F3 1TB | Seasonic X-750 | X-Fi XtremeGamer | HAF932 | Win 7 Pro | openSUSE
Aracos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 19:55   #19
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Crysis 3 is the highest selling game this year so far and its published by EA. ( crytek make it but EA is publisher)

EA publishes way to many titles to just say you won't buy from them.

Need for speed, battlefield, any sports game, sim city, dragon age, mass effect.is just a small list of titles they own.

Actual list is about 30-40 pages worth of stuff they own and licence.

So you lot stop buying ill keep enjoying crysis 3 and the new sim city once its released.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2013, 20:13   #20
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyandrewb
I'd like to say that I'll join in that campaign but I honestly can't remember when the last time I bought an EA game was.
+1

Keep in mind pirating doesn't help either, because it still shows the games are desirable, which IMO they're not. Also, the micro-transactions make pirating more difficult. The new SimCity is probably the only EA game released in years that really interests me, but I'm still happy with SC4.