bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Sep 2012, 09:15   #1
brumgrunt
Ultramodder

brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.brumgrunt is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Tomb Raider preview

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...ider-preview/1
brumgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 09:58   #2
Sc0rian
Here comes the farmer

Sc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run CrysisSc0rian can run Crysis
interesting conclusion, you do not like it!. I am looking forward to this, the graphics do look amazing. Unsure if I will buy it straight away though, wait for steam sales.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 10:14   #3
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.Guinevere is definitely a rep cheat.
Quicktime events!

I didn't much care for them back when it was Dirk the Daring in 1983 and I doubt I'll care for them much thirty years later.

Still, the game looks like it will have promise though. Let's reserve final judgement until it gets released.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 10:24   #4
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Why do developers insist on over using quick-time events when they know how much they are reviled?*

Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 10:51   #5
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.B1GBUD is definitely a rep cheat.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Quicktime events!.
And this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademrk View Post
Why do developers insist on over using quick-time events when they know how much they are reviled?*
We want to see actual screen shots, I appreciate that its a preview but c'mon!!
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 10:54   #6
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Double post
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 10:56   #7
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
A 5 minute quick-time!? FIVE MINUTE!? Did you mean that or was it an exaggeration?

I have high hopes for this. I enjoyed both legends and Underworld quite a bit and I'm down with the new direction. I just hope they don't ruin it with constantly taking away the players control, either by QT or to many cutscenes.

I'm currently playing Alan Wake and I'm enjoying it but chapter 2 is starting to piss me off with the constant cutscenes. It's not a game mechanic I'm especially found of but it works for certain titles. Depends on the story and atmosphere.
I loved Mafia 2 and hated Heavy Rain for example.

EDIT:Also a bit worried by that hanging plane screenshot. Let me guess, as you climb up bits break off only for you to fall and grab something at the last second and everything you hold on to falls apart just after you move further up. The tense scene climaxes with the plane falling down the cliff but you leap off just in time and grab the ledges edge. Phew, that was super intense...

Last edited by runadumb; 20th Sep 2012 at 11:14.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 11:28   #8
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Never played Tomb Raider games really, have meant to pick up a couple of the more recent games (Legend for instance) though.

This sounds like it could be great, just hoping the quicktime events aren't too obtrusive.
GeorgeStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 11:35   #9
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by runadumb View Post
EDIT:Also a bit worried by that hanging plane screenshot. Let me guess, as you climb up bits break off only for you to fall and grab something at the last second and everything you hold on to falls apart just after you move further up. The tense scene climaxes with the plane falling down the cliff but you leap off just in time and grab the ledges edge. Phew, that was super intense...
Sounds a lot like Uncharted 2's train dangling over a precipice scene. That was really quite enjoyable.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 11:51   #10
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Is the TL;DR of that "it's horrendously consolified"?

I can't be the only person who weeps at the state we're in with graphics only to have every game dumbed down to a Little Timmy level with this sort of crap.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 13:27   #11
Shirty
Home of the Carnival Cougar

Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.Shirty is definitely a rep cheat.
Lmao at the "Garry's Mod" facial expression on the second screenshot
Shirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2012, 21:42   #12
Tribble
Steals Avatars

Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Tribble - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I found this part of the preview highly amusing
Quote:
Square insists is the most important scene in the game too
I still have fond memories reading about the first original preview of TR.

Is it still on my pre order, quite simply yes.
Old 20th Sep 2012, 23:46   #13
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Important item was not mentioned: Are Lara's breasts large and does the physics model allow for them to realistically jiggle!?
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2012, 11:50   #14
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
If you're 'old' enough and like me you'll play it regardless of the put downs. Rose tinted glasses etc.

It's just a shame something that started life back in 1996 and was practically ground breaking hasn't progressed any. I play Tomb Raider games because they bring back fond memories, and I enjoy them. But they've always been somewhat broken in the grand scheme of things. Angel of Darkness being a horrific example of this.
Old 21st Sep 2012, 12:13   #15
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
TR2 was and still is the highlight of the series. The way it expanded the game world was amazing. Plus the boobs looked more realistic.
Old 24th Sep 2012, 13:59   #16
blacko
Multimodder

blacko has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
no one plays TR for the story....we all know its about the physics and graphics and do things bounce as they should.
blacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2012, 09:17   #17
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
hi Joe Martin, love ur unlimited hyperbole, im a subscriber and hope u still reading this thread. i have now read a number of hands on, which was for this month and not earlier hands on's and this is the only one negative.

i just want to know why u think the others have not spoken about the press button for quick time events at all? i know its beta/alpha stage so they cant judge but this part wont change that much i think and is dissapointing.

so why is urs negative and if u can point to me other negative ones so i can make my decision.

PS: when the next unlimited hyperbole starting >:-( ,

cheers from cape town
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2012, 14:14   #18
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
:'-( i guess u not reading this thread anymore
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2012, 21:54   #19
ShinyAli
Supermodder

ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ShinyAli - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty View Post
If you're 'old' enough and like me you'll play it regardless of the put downs. Rose tinted glasses etc.

It's just a shame something that started life back in 1996 and was practically ground breaking hasn't progressed any. I play Tomb Raider games because they bring back fond memories, and I enjoy them. But they've always been somewhat broken in the grand scheme of things. Angel of Darkness being a horrific example of this.
I am old enough like you and I have played all the TR games from day one in 1996 for me TR3 was the game mainly because of it's vast scale, (relative to games of that era) longevity and so many locations, you could play for weeks and still be going to new places and after playing mainly point and click games like the legendary Myst games when TR came along it was revolutionary, at least to me it was.

Angel of Darkness was not a bad game, it was a bad release, Core Design concentrated on developing the game for the PS2 and failed so when that game was ported over to the PC that also failed, duh.

Quote: lead programmer Richard Morton scrapped the entire project of The Angel of Darkness. Morton explained "The PS2 hardware was still proving tricky to optimize and get the best results out of it, They wished to compete with some of the newer action-adventure games, which were providing heavy competition; but their ideas were too large for the size of their team and the time they had. End Quote: Wikipedia.

But they still released AOD and for those people who only ever played that TR game it unsurprisingly tainted their view of the whole TR series, the fact that there is still such a dedicated TR fan base that makes patches to ensure every TR game can be played on modern OS says a lot about the loyalty and passion that the TR games still command.

I hope the game is better than this initial demo review but, early reviews often seem to highlight issues that once you really get into playing the game are not really an issue or just a minor annoyance that doesn't overall spoil the game play, there is still six months before game release in March 2013 and if that release date is postponed as often happens with release dates frankly I don't care as long as the final release is worth the wait and a repeat of the AOD disaster is avoided, Oh, and I hope she can still do those cute little handstands
ShinyAli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2012, 09:07   #20
Siskods9
Minimodder

Siskods9 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty View Post

I'm old enough to remember

I remember playing the original on my (beige colored) 486DX2 66MHz back in '96, ahh memories indeed!
Siskods9 is offline   Reply With Quote