bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 7th Mar 2013, 15:14   #1
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.
Tomb Raider 2013 issues (NOW FIXED! Guide in post #1!)

I just installed this game today, only to find the game performance is terrible at maximum settings with 4xSSAA.

I was then noticing my temps where running much hotter than any other game or app has pushed my GPU's before. Temps hitting 47c, when normally they run under 40c in the likes of Crysis 3 etc.

90% of the time I was getting 90fps with vsync on with my OC display running 2560x1440@ 90Hz. The other 10% was dips in performance, in what I wouldn't call 'Very demanding scense' lows of 15fps, due to driver optimization. (More of a game patch needed!)

Once I got out to the wilderness, the game hard freeze. And so the only way to come out of this was to hold the power button for several seconds and reboot! 'I hate having to do that!'

EDIT: A quick vid I made on what I get. (Sorry about the poor picture quality. Recorded with my S3 phone...) (Also used masking tape - taped to the ceiling to hold my phone in place whilst I recorded lol.)

So after the reboot, I decided to hunt for other people experiencing the same thing. I then came across this post;

NVIDIA GPU Performance Issues in the new Tomb Raider
The new Tomb Raider reboot was released last night, and has so far been praised as a good game that brings back that nostalgia of the old Tomb Raider games. However, in our testing today, we have become aware of performance issues on NVIDIA GPUs while playing this game. We reached out to NVIDIA for answers and some information for you if you are experiencing slower than expected performance, it is not just you. We asked NVIDIA what the best driver for the game is right now, and NVIDIA's response is as follows:

NVidia response;
Hi Brent. You can try using the latest beta driver however, please note that we are aware of major performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn't receive final code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible. In the meantime, we would like to apologize to GeForce users that are not able to have a great experience playing Tomb Raider, as they have come to expect with all of their favorite PC games.

We then followed up asking about an ETA for the new driver, and got this response:

NVidia response;
Hi Brent, this isn't solely a driver issue. The developer needs to make some changes on their end to fix their issues on GeForce GPUs. This will require code changes to the game.

So there you go, it is not only going to take a driver update, but also a patch update for the game to get the most out of NVIDIA GeForce GPUs. I myself am experiencing slow performance, (R.E. 20's FPS) with GTX 680 SLI at maxed out in-game settings, with FXAA. There is definitely a performance issue that needs resolving. The only thing you can do right now, if you are experiencing slow performance, is turn TressFX off, back to Normal, and try lowering in-game setting, starting with SSAO, to try and improve performance. We will have a full evaluation of this game, and its performance and IQ next week with tips on how to get the most out of it performance wise.

I guess as any new AAA titles, they are rushing to get these titles out on time without doing enough testing...

So now will be waiting for a Driver update and a Patch for the game....

I have now fixed the issue!

Goto NVIDIA control panel, Manage 3D settings, and click on 'Program Settings Tab'

Untick the 'Show only programs found on this computer' (Shown above) Then click on 'Select a program to customise' from the drop down. (Shown below.)

Now the 'Tomb Raider (2013) will show a blue and white icon next to it, like the rest.
To get NVIDIA Drivers to recognized the launch of a selected program and use NVIDIA Profiles, you need to manual add the .EXE for that game.

Pictured below, will show you how to add the .EXE to that profile. (Depending on where you installed the game, will show differently to my screenshot.)

Those that have it installed on Steam will have to go into Steam Folder\streamapps\common\YOUR GAME\ Click on .EXE

If all done correctly, then re click on 'Show only programs found on this computer' in the first pic. \then click on the drop down, and this will show you all games installed on your computer with NVIDIA Profiles enabled.

If some of your games ain't showing, then you need to follow this guide and enable them all, to take advantage of the Profiles.

Hope this will solve everyone's issues!

Cheers,

Simon.

[EDIT]

Right, I think this is the final fix, with 314.14 Beta drivers. Before I update to 314.21 Beta drivers. (Runs well on both 314.14 and 314.21 Beta drivers).

Copy these setting, and all problems when running the game maxed out should be solved. BTW - No more dips in FPS with tressFX enabled.

i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config

Last edited by true_gamer; 16th Mar 2013 at 12:28.
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 15:49   #2
vdbswong
It's a Hedgehod

vdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitvdbswong is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Ouch ;>

Sorry to hear that. =X
vdbswong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 16:07   #3
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Sounds pretty normal with any new pc game these days, crysis 3 got about 4 patches in a week at launch to fix its issues.

Farcry 3 did not do SLI till a recent patch fixed it.

Even stuff like borderlands 2 had issues on launch.

Just the way it is for us pc gamers.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 16:17   #4
DeckerdBR
Supermodder

DeckerdBR has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeckerdBR has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeckerdBR has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeckerdBR has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeckerdBR has yet to learn the way of the DremelDeckerdBR has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
The only performace issues I have experianced are when I had the AMD tech tress fx enabled, which killed my frame rate by more than half.

I get 50-60 FPS in max settings, with the exception of tress FX and I also used the very cool fxaa.

A good number of the people who have performance issues are either using tress fx or have SLI setups. Thats not to say the game is not fully optomised yet of course but there are many people without problems too.
| RAM: 8GB Corsair CMX4GX3M2B1600C9 | CPU Cooler: AKASA Venom | OS: Windows 7 64 | SSD: Samsung 840 250GB |
DeckerdBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 16:28   #5
heir flick
Hypermodder

heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.heir flick is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
no problems with my 7970 playing on ultra settings sweet as a nut, ive heard a few problems with nvidia though
heir flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 16:39   #6
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitjrs77 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
What do you expect from a title that's been developed in partnership with AMD? Simply wait for the nVidia-patch to be released by Crytek, that's all you can do.

Define Mini Black [Gigabyte Z77MX-D3H | intel i5-3450 | Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 8GB | Gigabyte GTX660OC Windforce2 | intel 330 120GB | WD AV GP 1TB]
jrs77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 18:37   #7
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
The game ran for 5minutes for me and then it just closed.

I'll be waiting for patches
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 20:32   #8
benji2412
Has an Avatar avatar

benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.benji2412 is definitely a rep cheat.
I'M NOT PLAYING A GAME THAT NEEDS STEAM, SEE WHAT IT'S DONE TO IT RAUYSHAHUSDRLIKAUHSDR

/lolz

Bit odd that this has been allowed to happen given the popularity of the game. I wonder if this is what games are going to be like now when they're branded by one of the GPU manufacturers
Old 7th Mar 2013, 21:03   #9
bdigital
Is re-building his PC again

bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.bdigital is definitely a rep cheat.
Sorry to hear that TG. I only played it for 10mins max but it ran perfectly smooth everything on ultimate at 2560x1400 with the 7970. Hopefully when i give it a bigger test tomorro evening it will play ok!

Check out my Apline White TJ07 - Case Mod and Water cooled build. http://www.flickr.com/photos/6188486...7631486959032/
bdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2013, 21:04   #10
sandys
Mod Master

sandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for presidentsandys should be considered for president
Seems OK to me, I did notice some graphical glitches that were annoying like the river rendering through ground etc.

Looks like a nice game, tressFX is a bit of a hit with a single 680 @ 1440p I am dropping below 20fps, turn it off though and all is good more than double the fps.

Maybe I will hold off for later drivers than spoil it with something that is broken.
sandys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 00:16   #11
Instagib
Ultramodder

Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.Instagib is definitely a rep cheat.
I though Tress FX was a AMD technology, much in the same way PhysX is a nVidia tech? Is there no option to turn it off all-together?

Silverstone TJ07|Rampage 3 Extreme | i7 950 @ 4.0 | 12Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz | EVGA GTX680 | Akasa 1000W Powermax | 480 rad; all under water
Instagib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 02:06   #12
knuck
Hate your face

knuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youknuck - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
there is an option and no it's not proprietary to AMD

i think
| Intel i7 4770K | 12GB DDR3 2000 | Asus Maximus VI Hero | 2xGTX 570 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | 10.5TB total | Seasonic X-1250 | Auzentech Bravura X-Fi | Fractal Design Define R3 XL | Corsair H50 | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz |
knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 09:50   #13
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I've not really read up on the performance issues as I'm having none of them. Some occasional stuttering but that's about it. From what I can make out a lot of it is to with SLi.

Guess the Titan wasn't such a bad grab after all ; )

FYI: I am running the latest betas - everything maxed out including Tress FX. Although SSAA 4X isn't worth the hit over FXAA in this game IMO.
Old 8th Mar 2013, 11:05   #14
mrMonkeyChunks
EVGA Cheesecake

mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.mrMonkeyChunks is definitely a rep cheat.
Hey TG I had exactly the same problem as you, try disabling tessellation in the graphics options, that and updating to the beta drivers sorted out the crashing issue for me.
NZXT Phantom 820: i5 3570k @ 4.6Ghz | Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 | 16GB DDR3 Kingston Beast 2400mhz RAM | 2 EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB | Samsung F3 1TB | 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD | 120GB Kingston Hyper x SSD | Corsair 850W |
Cooling: 360mm, 240mm radiators, 2 EK 670 Fullcover blocks, EK Supremacy, 250ml res, 2x MCP350 pumps
KBT PURE | Cyborg R.A.T 7 | 27" & 29" super widecreen monitors
mrMonkeyChunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 11:23   #15
[PUNK] crompers
Dremedial

[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.[PUNK] crompers is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Tress fix looks pretty rubbish to me anyways, not sure if that is because I'm on nvidia. Experienced some slow downs last night and then eventually a driver crash.

I have to say the game looks pretty amazing when its running.
| Main Rig | TJ07B-W | 2600k @ 4.7Ghz | Sabertooth Z77 | 8GB Corsair Vengance | EVGA FTW 670 @ 1305Mhz | Samsung 830 128GB |1TB Samsung F3 | EK Supremacy CSQ | EK FC680 CSQ | Corsair HX650W | U2711 | Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless | Xonar Essence STX | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm |
| HTPC | Lian Li Q11-B | AMD A10 5800k | ASRock FM2A75M-ITX | 8GB XMS3 2000 | 1TB Seagate | SFX 350W |
[PUNK] crompers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 13:31   #16
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.true_gamer is definitely a rep cheat.
I'll have another go now, as I believe it is the TressFX that is causing the issues.

Will report back later.
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors

Old 8th Mar 2013, 13:58   #17
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
TressFX, because she's worth it. Way to shiny and clean for someone who's just been ship wrecked and molested by cultists.
Old 8th Mar 2013, 14:06   #18
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

Nope, no luck...

Started the game at the point where you are outside. Running a constance 90FPS with no dips. Get across the tree and guess what!? Hard Freeze, and another reboot...

Old 8th Mar 2013, 14:10   #19
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

Is this with SLi enabled?
Old 8th Mar 2013, 14:21   #20
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

SLI is running fine, as I'm hitting 50% usage on all GPU's whilst my frame rate sits at 90FPS constance with Vsync on, with TressFX disabled, running 4xSSAA...

Tags
tomb raider, tr