bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th Mar 2013, 18:10   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
PS4's 8GB RAM "a joy" to developers says Dishonored lead designer

Dishonored's lead designer has come out in praise of the Playstation 4's 8GB RAM.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2013/03...ristophe-car/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 18:16   #2
adidan
CPC_refugee

adidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyanadidan is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Good news, especially the suggestion that games may make more successful moves across multiple platforms.
adidan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 18:24   #3
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
if the rumours are true then the PS4 will be the `top dog` as MS are aiming the next xbox to be an `entertainment centre`
Old 8th Mar 2013, 18:37   #4
r3loaded
Ultramodder

r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.r3loaded is definitely a rep cheat.
I'm sure the Wii U uses an IBM PowerPC processor just like the Wii. The GPU is a custom part by AMD though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
r3loaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 18:41   #5
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
To begin with, GDDR5 has double the bandwith then DDR3, so if they use the 8GB GDDR5 to it's full extend (split 50/50 between CPU and GPU) the PC-versions would need even more RAM then "only" some 16GB DDR3 to compensate imho. Maybe this will lead to GDDR5 being introduced in the near future, like the leaked info about AMDs Kaveri-APU hints at. It's said that the Kaveri-APUs will have a 4x 32bit GDDR5 memory-interface to adress 2GB of GDDR5, so this is basically the PC-spinoff of the APU used in the PS4.

Anyways, I predict that the PC-versions of next gen console titles won't be playable on max settings @ 2560x1600 on a current ~ $1000-setup, but require atleast something like the GTX680/HD7970 with 4GB GDDR5 paired with an i7-3770/FX8350 and 16GB DDR3.

Fun times ahead and most likely way cheaper to buy a PS4, if you're after the best graphics possible

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 19:01   #6
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Nope. Because, CPU doesn't use or care about high bandwidth.
In fact, it preferred DDR3 over GDDR5 by a big margin, as GDDR5 have a very high latency... that's the exchange for bandwidth. So the CPU for sure will be either too weak to take advantage of DDR3 to even care about the high latency problem, OR RAM latency will bottleneck the processor of the PS4.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 19:07   #7
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
you are forgetting though that GDDR5 can send and recieve on the same clock cycle , something that DDR3 cannot do.
Old 8th Mar 2013, 19:14   #8
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
you are forgetting though that GDDR5 can send and recieve on the same clock cycle , something that DDR3 cannot do.
Exactly. And that's basically negating the latency-issues.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 19:26   #9
GoodBytes

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Heuuummm that's how it works for DDR3 as well, I mean following the bus speed. That is why you don't see much or any performance increase in memory module faster than the Bus (assuming you don't overclock the bus)

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
Old 8th Mar 2013, 19:33   #10
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

erm no it doesnt only GDDR can send and recieve because of differencial clocks
Old 8th Mar 2013, 19:46   #11
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Hopefully this means massive game worlds, full to the brim with things happening! Huzzah!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 19:47   #12
GoodBytes

Actually I miss read you.. I read "per same clock" and not "cycle" in your first text.

However I don't believe is compensates for the high latency of GDRR5.

Also another thing that was not address, is that if it has 8GB of RAM shared, that means it has only 1 bus. That means, that either the GPU or CPU will bottleneck the other.

Old 8th Mar 2013, 19:54   #13
GoodBytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
Hopefully this means massive game worlds, full to the brim with things happening! Huzzah!
Well.. the GPU is faster and more capable, so just that will make larger game world. But mostly you'll enjoy higher res textures or more textures.

Old 8th Mar 2013, 20:01   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
All consoles use shared ram its up to devs how they use it accept the OS bit. Which is set at a fixed amount most likely 128-256mb.

Wether we will see better games only time will tell but in truth I dout ram is holding back originality or story telling both if which have gone AWOL in years gone by.

What we will likely see is more native 64bit games to take advantage of more ram but I'm not entirely sure on that there is like 5-10 native 64bit games.

Dev reason has always been they dont want games that cant run on win xp as its a potential lost sale.

Steams last survey had it at 47% on a 32bit OS.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Mar 2013, 20:05   #15
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

the whole latency issue isnt as bad as you make out - at best case its ahead of some DDR3 platforms , and at worst case its ofc slower - but we are talking NS; bare in mind that unlike the PS3 and its 2 seperate ram pools , this can manipulate ram (and shaders) within itself.
Old 8th Mar 2013, 22:59   #16
shigllgetcha
Come at me bro

shigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysisshigllgetcha can run Crysis
I was underwhelmed by the ps3, the ps4 is getting excting!
Old 8th Mar 2013, 23:07   #17
YEHBABY
Self made Billionnaire

YEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming SaiyanYEHBABY is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Getting more interested in this. I need to see how it works as a media player before I consider buying though.

NAS: QNAP TS-670 Pro. 2 x 4TB WD RED
YEHBABY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2013, 00:04   #18
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
you could see the lack of ram issues in some games in the way stuff would suddenly popup or the map would start to render as you turn to fast for the game to pre load bits your about to see (did this in BF Bad company a lot)

this should be fixed in the PS4 as 4/8gb of ram is silly amount for an console they will have so much fun with that as it must of been an nuisance on the xbox or ps3 to get the games to run with out been laggy or have textures loading that gamers see
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2013, 00:06   #19
leexgx
CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

leexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremelleexgx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by YEHBABY
Getting more interested in this. I need to see how it works as a media player before I consider buying though.
with the anti copy or cam stuff (stops the video after 5-10 secs if it detects markers in the video) i just use XMBC or MCE
i7-920 (4Ghz) <> Titian ferna <> Rampage extreme III<> GTX480 <> 6gb 3x2gb OCZ Gold 1600 <> SSD M225 256gb / segate .11 1.5TB <> X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty <> TK 1000w Toughpower <win7 x64> GreenFrog Computers Warrington
leexgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2013, 08:30   #20
mikemaher205
Multimodder

mikemaher205 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Everytime a new console is released, shortly after game standards increases. So with technology going to the level it is, this should be nothing but good for PC gaming.
mikemaher205 is online now   Reply With Quote