1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Onwards and upwards by Parvum Systems : Complete

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 9 Mar 2013.

1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Project:
    Onwards and upwards
    by: Parvum Systems

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sponsors:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This will be written by Justin but will also feature Shaun. We are the two that make up Parvum Systems. We would love to expand the company but for now you are stuck with just the two of us!

This thread will be a close look at the Parvum Systems team building a fully W/C rig into one of our own S1.0 Cases. There will be some big changes and a lot of custom work done to the case. Hopefully enough to keep your attention. This is just one of the number of cases that we will be taking to the iSeries LAN even at the end of March in the UK. We plan to head out to other EU LANs later in the year. Including Dream Hack.

We would first like to briefly introduce ourselves. Say a little bit about us and how we started Parvum Systems. If you wish to skip this part and get to the photographs then do so by all means! :)

Parvum Systems was started approximately one year ago after a discussion about SFF cases. I myself have been working with SFF systems for my last 3 builds. One a full custom Acrylic build. The other two Lian Li cases. However I was always frustrated at how hard it was to put so much water cooling equipment into a case while showing it off at the same time. So with the power of Shaun's architecture degree & CAD knowledge and my case modding/water cooling skills we figured we would start something of our own.
    We have come a long way in this year. I would approximate we have easily used thousands of Euros on Acrylic in the testing and building stages of the S1.0 . It has had its ups and downs and has been extremely frustrating at times but I would say we are finally happy with our first of many products.
    We have every intention to start to involve far more people in expanding Parvum Systems and when we develop the S2.0. We would love nothing more than to involve more people. Get opinions and even meet up with other case modders and builders to help provide the market with exactly what they want.

This project log will feature an adapted version of the S1.0. It will be a reverse ATX version of the case. We will also be milling a custom reservoir for the roof of the case and a few other surprises along the way. The beauty of this project is anything that we create will defiantly be something we will look to sell as an extra or a future product on the Parvum Store.

Our S1.0 case can currently be purchased on the highflow store here or the OCUK store here!

Here are a few photos of our warehouse space and what runs Parvum Systems:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the next update (a few days time) we will show you the CAD designs & the initial CNC cutting of the panels.

Thanks for reading, see you on the next one!

Last edited: 24 Aug 2013
    siliconfanatic likes this.
  2. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

So here is a simple update for today with another to shortly follow!

We started by drawing a 4 panel selection for the case. Somewhat close to the S1.0 but with a couple of changes.

• All the panels have been flipped/mirrored in certain ways to accommodate for reverse ATX
    • Additional holes have been cut to mount a bottom and top chamber
    • One of the rear 80mm fans has been removed and replaced with the Parvum Logo

[​IMG]

Tool paths exported to the CNC PC. She is a mighty fine build in one very old case...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drawing ready we moved onto tool set up and to start cutting. For these two panels we will be using a 3mm and a 1.5mm single flute cutter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tool change to a lovely Belin series 1.5mm single flute to get into the tight edges of the Parvum logo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A quick look at the four panels once the backing had been removed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally for today we started to bend the mid wall. This mid wall is just for testing purposes at this stage. I want to mark up all the holes for pass through connectors/cables etc to make them exact rather than the pre-spaced ones we offer in the S1.0

Mid wall spacing measured and marked up:

[​IMG]

Then continued to make the first bend using the line bender & bending jig:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tester mid wall successfully bent and ready for tomorrow. Tomorrow we will be cutting the two frosted red panels to accompany the white & start the initial assembly.

Sorry for the poor lighting towards the end of the photos. The day light ran out fast here and we don't use a flash.

See you tomorrow.

3. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Finally!!!

I was wondering when you guys would get around to flexing your mod muscle! :D
    R-ATX too?......The right way up!! :D

Great to see such talented and well deserving guys showing their passion and giving us a glimpse into the development of what is rapidly becoming a classic example of awesome grass roots enthusiast design,Im subbed for sure.

:rock:

4. WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech Macmodder Addict

FANTASTIC work. I'm really digging the color scheme (which really seems to be in right now).

Question: did you route that logo with the dremel in the first pics??? I don't want to assume you did, but if you did I'll be running off to Lowe's today :D

5. Asouter

Asouter --------

Love this case, especially as its produced by enthusiasts. Will you use Mayhems coolants in this build ? as I noticed you have teamed up with them. Two fantastic companies, with innovative products .... it doesn't get much better.

I wish you both much success

6. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

^^^^ In a nutshell.. Amazing work.. :D

7. kier

kier -----------------

Ahh, the inside story...great job you guys:thumb:
    Cant wait to see more

8. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... Rather shameless self plug isnt it

9. B NEGATIVE

And this is different from all the sponsored rigs on here how?

10. tobyak

tobyak What's a Dremel?

Sponsoring is fulfilling an obligation to semi advertise

THIS is a manufacturer advertising them selves, if one can then all can no matter how big or small a company, come on her and peddle there wares... shall we begin

11. l3p

l3p www.^.nl

Tobyak this is actually one of the most interesting threads I've ever seen.
    I wish every company did this with so many details and info. (While Justin is a casemodder himself)

Keep it going imersa :thumb:

12. B NEGATIVE

So Nate from E22 or anyone of the other guys that offer products or services are part of your odd perspective? I would rather this than endless sponsorship builds.....

These guys have taken the time and effort to show you what they are doing,the whole process,just to show you what you can expect from their product and produce a great rig.

Shame you cant see that.

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

It's a bit late so I will choose my words as carefully as possible... no I have nothing... nothing at all... totally speechless

14. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

On an old forum I was on, there is a huge thread about putting a v8 motor in a mk1 mr2. That was being done by a company called Woodsport. Unsurprisingly, that is a massively popular thread. If businesses weren't allowed to post on that forum, a great thread would be lost. A lot of information would be lost. Knowledge wouldn't have been shared, and the mr2 community would have been poorer because of it.

Same thing here, threads put up by people who also offer services tend to highlight possible pit-falls and impart knowledge in a clearer way than somebody such as I, could manage. Let the pro's and semi-pro's have a go. Let them share their experience and in turn, other totally amateur mods will benefit. If the thread starter benefits from some readers actually approaching them for parts, or even a full case, why is that a problem ? Small businesses deserve the little bit of exposure threads like this bring. Hell, if a large business put up a thread detailing the prototyping and creation of a new design, I think that should be encouraged too. (Not that it'd happen - but they could always document it, then supply a thread after a finished case had been released, if they were concerned their IP may be compromised).

15. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Haha hopefully we can show some real modding skills here. Its nice to get to do something more unique than are standard requests. Bringing out the Dremal and files has been a nice break! R-ATX all the way, we really look forward to bringing the R-ATX version of the case to the market eventually. Thanks for all the support.

Haha your too kind. I could only wish that was with a Dremal. That was done with CNC like the rest of the cutting. Pictured was a 1.5mm cutter.

Thanks for the kind words. We are trying everything we can to get the community involved and get feedback on some of our work. Mainly so we can give the people what they want when we produce future projects. Such at the ITX case and eventually S2.0.

As for Mayhems you will defiantly see the coolant in this build. We have not partnered up as such just have had mutual friends for a long time and will defiantly see each other at future LAN events.

Phame and Keir: Thankyou you both :thumb:

In regards to the self plugging/negative comment:

I'm sorry you feel this way. This post is to showcase my personal build that you will see at the iSeries event at the end of this month. If anybody here including people who aren't so fond of Parvum products are attending this event, we would love for you to come and see them in person and discuss your views.

Thanks everyone for your response. Especially Splosh. You couldn't have said it better. Already on other forums we've had lots of questions about the assembly cubes we use so people can make their own cases. We just want to get involved more.

16. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Update 10/3/2013

Time for another update then.

Sorry most updates will be short but posted more regularly. We try to get a little bit done each day outside of cutting customer items/cases.

iSeries event is coming in fast so expect to see lots of updates!

So first for the day we attached the 6 x nickle cubes to the base of the case with 6mm hex bolts. These are black but we will change them to white for this build at a later point:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next we put down the frosted red sheet to cut the inside accent panels. For this we used our work horse tool the 3mm single flute. There is a little bit more to this panel so we thought we would show you the cutting process step by step.

First we did the inside profiling. Nothing too uncommon here:

[​IMG]

We have a large amount of these shape off cuts. Defiantly use them in another project at some point:

[​IMG]

Next we have to countersink a section. This allows a piece of 1.5mm aluminium to be sandwiched between two panels. We will come back to this later:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and finally the outside cut:

[​IMG]

We then moved on to cut the front accent panel. We wont show you any more cutting because you get the idea now. Here are the two red panels:

[​IMG]

We now start the assembly with more of the nickle corner blocks. We use 12mm hex screws to pass through both 5mm panels and safely into the block. Again we will change these to white bolts if possible:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A close up of the Parvum logo. We will be lighting this from behind the frosted red with a red LED pad:

[​IMG]

To finish today's work we placed the middle wall in for a quick look. We used this old middle wall to mark up the exact point we want holes for cable management and watercooling pass-through connectors. We will then recut the panel with the perfect spacing:

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading guys! In the next update you may expect to see fitting the mobo, cutting cable management holes and fitting the new bottom and top chambers.

See you then!

Pranja likes this.
  17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thats an epic colour scheme!

18. Asouter

Asouter --------

I notice your parts layout on the plexi still leaves a fair amount of waste. I know you put aside the larger waste parts for later projects, but what do you do with the bits that you don't use ? Have you got some kind of waste management, where you sell your scrap (including plexi swarf) back to the supplier ?

Or will you use the strips for cable trunking ?

19. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks mate, we are literally in love with it. My favorite scheme so far.

We actually made a new CAD/CNC drawing for this project. We spread things out a little more and gave ourselves more room to play with. We also removed the swarf cone for purpose of photos. This usually helps to hold the acrylic in place. Because we removed it we had to use secure holes for screws in between the panels, thus making more waste.

When it comes to the normal case production the spacing is much tighter. Yes we do use a commercial plastic recycling company to sell the waste.

20. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

11 March Update

Back again with a little more. On the check list for today:

• New middle wall
    • Motherboard test fit
    • SSD Bracket
    • Corsair love
    • Quick GPU test fit

So we decided to go with a frosted red middle wall. This was for a number of reasons but primarily as we wanted to use white braid on the PSU and didn't want it to get lost on the middle wall. Plus we are really in love with this color!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tapped and inserted the motherboard standoffs:

[​IMG]

A quick motherboard test fit:

[​IMG]

Next on the list we started the SSD mount. The placement and idea actually came from k3nnys Parvum build. You can take a look at that here.

We first put down an old piece of white acrylic. We try not to waste any off cuts or discarded panels:

1.5mm cutter here. Extremely tight work on the Corsair logo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next some detailing to one of the sides. Tool of choice here is the V bit cutter. If ran at the correct speeds this will leave a really nice 45' cut:

[​IMG]

And the cut process:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The finished piece needs some file attention. This is mainly excess swarf:

[​IMG]

After hand finishing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the area for placement. The problem we face is the small hex screw head that you can see. The black one. The reason we couldn't countersink this was because we did so on the other side of the motherboard wall.

To combat this we need to make a small hole on the backside of the SSD mount. We found this little trick works kinda nice. I'm sure there is a better way to do this but that's what first came to mind:

Applied some thermal paste to the screw head:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This then leaves a mark on the SSD mount:

[​IMG]

Which we cut with the Dremal & press:

[​IMG]

Perfect fit after a couple of goes back and forth:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We now got to test fit two of the SSD's. Subject to change the SSDs later as we expect to feature a raid card in the build:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really happy with the look. Like we said at the start of the log; cable access holes will be cut at a later point so there will be one hole per sata cable. More on this later though.

To end this update a quick GPU test fit. Would like to change the GPU but we will see how the budget is before iSeries. Just had to see it with the reverse ATX:

[​IMG]

See you tomorrow (hopefully)! :D