bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 11th Mar 2013, 12:00   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Asetek sues Cooler Master over Seidon liquid coolers

It's CoolIT all over again, it would seem.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...etek-sues-cm/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2013, 13:00   #2
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Anyone know, did Asetek win the case they had against CoolIT ?
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2013, 14:09   #3
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
As allways. General ideas should not be patentable, and a closed loop is very much a general idea.

If Asetek wants to patend it's pump, or it's radiator-design then this is all good, but the general idea of having a pump attached to a cooling-block and two hoses to connect this unit to a radiator is not worth to be patended imho.

If the judges have any braincells left, they should discard this case instantly.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2013, 18:22   #4
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
As allways. General ideas should not be patentable, and a closed loop is very much a general idea.

If Asetek wants to patend it's pump, or it's radiator-design then this is all good, but the general idea of having a pump attached to a cooling-block and two hoses to connect this unit to a radiator is not worth to be patended imho.

If the judges have any braincells left, they should discard this case instantly.
Surely trying to patent a pump or radiator design by itself would have been even more intrinsicly flawed since that could be construed as being taken from design from the automotive industry to name one.

For someone to have taken something akin to a cars radiator cooling system and innovatively come up with a new way of cooling the inside of a computer seems solid enough to me and a good enough idea worthwhile protecting.

The main question for me though is down to the legitamacy of the patents themselves, are they too broad all and emcompassing? Has Coolermaster intentionally copied the Asetek design or is it just very similar?
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Mar 2013, 23:35   #5
AlphaAngel
Hypermodder

AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.AlphaAngel is definitely a rep cheat.
Just another example of the flawed patent system.

However, seeing as it is so lucrative for companies and lawyers I can see it being changed. Politicians won't change anything as they are so cheaply bought, particularly in the US where the big changes would have to be.

Unfortunately, it is the whole world which loses out as the patent system,as it stands,hinders innovation incredibly.
Old 12th Mar 2013, 08:02   #6
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Anyone know, did Asetek win the case they had against CoolIT ?
I was actually trying to figure that out as I was writing the article, and failed miserably. Trying to get actual, useful information out of the US court system appears to be next to impossible. As far as I could gather, the case is still ongoing, but I couldn't find anything definitive.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2013, 08:18   #7
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yea all there legal speak is like another language, but i think your right in saying its still on going.
The best info i found, that you have probably already seen was.
http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cal...v04498/258428/
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2013, 16:11   #8
Jimbob
Modder

Jimbob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think most of us that have dabled in water cooling over the years had though of sealed systems well before 2005. If only we had put out a patent we'd be laughing!

I genuinly worry about inovation with the current patents being filed by the big tech companies. It seems that pretty much everyone involved with computers/electronics/AV systems is having to pay a licence fee to some obscure crap to someone or other. This is fine if you have enough of a portfolio to offset them against but will undoubtedly kill off competition from smaller startups.

The number of patents filed by the big tech companies is now higher in 1 year than the whole of the 90s. Sad really.
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2013, 19:29   #9
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
If only we had put out a patent, and had enough money to fight a legal case in the US, we'd be laughing!
IFTFY

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Mar 2013, 19:50   #10
siliconfanatic
Part-time forum lurker

siliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyansiliconfanatic is a Super Spamming Saiyan
^this guy. This guy, RIGHT here^ The US gov't is all about money. There is no such thing as a law. Only guidlines that slaughter the small guy which can be blown right on through or manipulated with cash as easily as lindsay lohan with a bag of crack.
Do not let anything good in life pass you by. Cherish it with all of your heart, because before you know it even life will have passed you by. And if you let all those things pass you by? The only thing filling your heart will be deep sadness and regret. So whatever you do, hold on, and never let go.
siliconfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asetek, cooler master, coolit, liquid cooling, patent, sealed-loop, seidon, sue, water cooling, watercooling