bit-tech.net

Old 13th Mar 2013, 09:01   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Func MS-3 Review

Func's 60 MS-3 gaming mouse has plenty of comfort and features but is that enough?
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/per...-ms-3-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 10:20   #2
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
It's reminiscent of the old and fatally flawed Raptor M3, with it's little shelf to rest your fingers.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 11:12   #3
Bleech
What's a Dremel?

Bleech has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'll stick with my Mionix Naos, which this clearly appears to be modelled on. Well that's my opinion...I may be wrong.
Bleech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 13:16   #4
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Not loving the look of those ridges for a 'finger rest'. I think i'll still be sticking with my 6 year old G5 until something radically better comes out.
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 13:23   #5
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
That's a nice looking mouse, might have to add it to the list for when my venerable old MX1000 finally gives up. How long is the lead on it?
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 13:43   #6
SuicideNeil
I'm insane, not stupid.

SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.SuicideNeil is definitely a rep cheat.
http://www.func.net/en/products/ms-3/

2 meter cable ( google, is your friend... ).
Old 13th Mar 2013, 14:45   #7
Almightyrastus
Engineering the awesome

Almightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming SaiyanAlmightyrastus is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yup, Google certainly is. However my company's 'security policy' isn't and it blocks that site under the category of 'gaming'.

Thanks for that though, it should be long enough for what I need.
Lo there do I see my Father. Lo there do I see my Mother, and my Sisters and my Brothers. Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
Almightyrastus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 16:40   #8
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I think that final score is more relative of a personal preference than an unbiased review. Flaws (although few) in build quality and the provided software, a overall design for a minority of users and still gets 86%?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 16:57   #9
RostokMcSpoons
Minimodder

RostokMcSpoons has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well that was pretty good timing... a couple of days ago my trusty MX518 died (right mouse button failing). I already had a CM Storm Inferno which I tried again - but that just didn't work as well in Far Cry 3.

And then I saw this review.
This mouse is *exactly* what I've been looking for. I wanted a little finger rest, and a sniper cut-the-sensitivity button. Two main thumb buttons (3 squeezed together, like on the Storm, tend to get mashed together in combat) And all wrapped up in a solid palm-grip shell.

I did look at the RAT 5, but I didn't like the fragile feel, the small-ish size, and the odd balance (it tips backwards if the palm shelf is extended too far), and I certainly didn't like the reports of them failing after a little use. Which is why I this morning I'd bought a Logitech MX400 from PC World. Thankfully I didn't open the packaging, so I'll be taking it back... and I've ordered one of these

Last edited by RostokMcSpoons; 13th Mar 2013 at 17:05.
RostokMcSpoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 17:15   #10
wafflesomd
I *am* a Dremel

wafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysiswafflesomd can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RostokMcSpoons View Post
Well that was pretty good timing... a couple of days ago my trusty MX518 died (right mouse button failing). I already had a CM Storm Inferno which I tried again - but that just didn't work as well in Far Cry 3.

This mouse is *exactly* what I've been looking for. I wanted a little finger rest, and a sniper cut-the-sensitivity button. Two main thumb buttons (3 squeezed together, like on the Storm, tend to get mashed together in combat) And all wrapped up in a solid palm-grip shell.

I did look at the RAT 5, but I didn't like the fragile feel, the small-ish size, and the odd balance (it tips backwards if the palm shelf is extended too far), and I certainly didn't like the reports of them failing after a little use. Which is why I this morning I'd bought a Logitech MX400 from PC World. Thankfully I didn't open the packaging, so I'll be taking it back... and I've ordered one of these
Have you looked at this: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Optic.../dp/B0055QZ216

Most people I know who used an max518 or a G5 find it hard to use anything else, but they stopped making them and now make the g400. The only difference is that there's no weight cartridge and the mouse wheel isn't as tall.
wafflesomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 18:53   #11
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RostokMcSpoons

Well please do report back to us if it turns out to be suitable as I have one of the logitech laser mice which is great for desktop use but not so much for gaming and tend to find my "ring" finger of my right hand and little finger tend to be the ones to suffer and missed the boat on the MX series :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd

Most people I know who used an max518 or a G5 find it hard to use anything else, but they stopped making them and now make the g400. The only difference is that there's no weight cartridge and the mouse wheel isn't as tall.
Have looked at this but never been sure about the right hand side part of the grip.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 18:57   #12
Digi
The not-so-funny Cockney

Digi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run CrysisDigi can't run Crysis
This is an exact copy of the QPAD 5K? Which you gave a similar score if memory serves..

A member of a mystical group of master-gamers. Find them hiding at www.tunedgaming.co.uk
Digi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Mar 2013, 21:24   #13
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
I think that final score is more relative of a personal preference than an unbiased review. Flaws (although few) in build quality and the provided software, a overall design for a minority of users and still gets 86%?
All peripheral reviews unavoidably have an element of subjectivity to them. The design flaws you mention have been addressed in the Design and Features scores, which remain high since the the flaws are few and minor. While the mouse's shape isn't going to be for everyone, the same is true for any mouse, and the MS-3 still fits hands very well with no awkward lumps, curves or edges and has a finish that's nice to hold and doesn't cause sweating. The relative popularity of its shape is impossible to judge and thus isn't taken into account. If you don't like the shape or style of something, no percentage or award is likely to change your mind! Hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostokMcSpoons
[...]I've ordered one of these
Do let us know how you get on
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2013, 14:29   #14
RostokMcSpoons
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd

Most people I know who used an mx518 or a G5 find it hard to use anything else, but they stopped making them and now make the g400. The only difference is that there's no weight cartridge and the mouse wheel isn't as tall.
Actually I mistyped - it was the G400 (not MX400) I got from PC World. It even mentions 'MX518 replacement' on the front of the box!

Well 'props' (to use the vernacular of the youthful) to Ebuyer. I bought the MS-3, but just went for Super Saver free 5 day delivery. And the darned thing turned up this morning! I've just un-boxed it so far.

First impressions:

1) Yes it's pretty big. Definitely for the larger adult hand only. One of my work colleagues has small hands and his thumb doesn't reach the sniper button without changing grip. For me (perhaps average-to-large hands and long-ish fingers) everything is perfect.

2) It's comfortable. All of my gaming colleagues said it felt good in the hand. The 'pinky rest' makes a nice difference! The finish on the mouse is nice too.

3) Build quality seems good. Definitely no fragile-looking thing like the Cyborg RAT 5, this does seem built to last - perhaps just because there's nothing adjustable on it.

4) The bottom thumb button is probably too stiff to click to be of any real use.
Maybe it'll ease up with if I give it a bit of a (metaphorical) hammering. It'll certainly need to be used for something that's not done whilst aiming or moving too much. So perhaps 'reload'? (I already use a thumb button for that).

So you're wondering why I've not used it yet? Well I'm sure it'll be fine for desktop use. I'm using the CM Storm Inferno on my work PC, and it's fine. But it didn't work at all well with Far Cry 3 Multiplayer. It often felt like mouse acceleration was kicking in, even thought it was switched off everywhere. Or maybe it was skipping. It felt just plain odd anyway. So I'll reserve judgement on the MS-3 until I've tried it in that.

If I don't like it in-game, I'll definitely be back at PC World to get another G400!

Last edited by RostokMcSpoons; 14th Mar 2013 at 14:44.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 16:37   #15
Dogbert666
I benchmark, therefore I am.
bit-tech Staff

Dogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming SaiyanDogbert666 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Thanks for getting back to us, RostokMcSpoons. I'd say we were in agreement about most things, although I'm surprised to hear about your in-game experience as mine in shooters was fine, although I did need to fine tune it a bit in the software before I was really comfortable with it.
Dogbert666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2013, 16:59   #16
RostokMcSpoons
Minimodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert666 View Post
Thanks for getting back to us, RostokMcSpoons. I'd say we were in agreement about most things, although I'm surprised to hear about your in-game experience as mine in shooters was fine, although I did need to fine tune it a bit in the software before I was really comfortable with it.
Just to be clear: when I wrote about FPS gameplay problems, that was referring to my CM Storm Inferno.

All the reviews of the Inferno were good, so I'm not sure why it just felt so wrong in-game. Maybe it's the much higher DPI rating than the old MX518 (a mere 1600). In which case I may struggle with the Func mouse too.

(For reference I set up all my FPS games so I make a 180 degree turn if I flick my mouse as far as comfortably possible to the right. That necessitates quite a low sensitivity setting in FC3's control menu, plus a low DPI on the mouse.)

Or maybe it didn't like my mouse mat (an Everglide Giganta), which is probably getting a bit grubby, though it still looks ok.

I found I could get the sensitivity about right, but it never felt truly reliable in the way the Logitech was when I made instinctive snap shots.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 19:28   #17
forum_user
forum_title

forum_user has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Be careful with the G400. It does not feel as good as the 518; the right side of the mouse is quite uncomfortable and I wouldn't say I have big hands; it seems really easy to accidentally knock the DPI sensitivity buttons and suddenly find yourself either looking at the floor or ceiling, followed by death; the cable seems to be taking ages to loosen-up. In fact I am torn to go back to my MS Explorer 3.0.

One benefit of the G400 is that you can lift-and-replace with little to no cursor jumping, due to it being optical.
forum_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2013, 23:53   #18
RostokMcSpoons
Minimodder

Ok, gameplay review (after 4 hours of Far Cry 3 Multiplayer):

TL;DR:
It's definitely a good mouse, but I'm not yet loving it as much as my old MX518, but then I have been playing with that for several years (and a similar Logitech optical mouse before it too)

Longer story:
Hmmm... you think a 518 is a palm-grip mouse? Bah, I speeet on your definition. The Func MS-3, now thaaaat's a palm-grip mouse. It's big enough that most of my palm and fingers are in constant contact with the plastic, whereas with the 518 I was 'clawing' just enough to leave some gaps and ventilation. The upshot is my hand is getting hotter and sweatier rather faster than before, but the mouse case is nicely textured so it's not getting slippery.

It's also big enough that I think the sniper button could do with being 5mm further back to sit really comfortably under my thumb.

I think I've worked out what's weird about both this and my CM Storm Inferno, that made me feel like I was suffering from undesirable mouse acceleration:
When I snap-turn and then return to my original position (looking straight ahead) - it's easy with the MX518. With the MS-3 and the Inferno I tend to overshoot and end up pointing to the left or right of my original aiming point.
Now I don't know if this is some function of the shape or size of the mice, or just the fact I've had so much practice with the 518, but there it is.
I suspect part of it is that the MS-3's size means less of my wrist is in contact with the mouse mat, so perhaps my pivot-point has changed somewhat. In fact if I make sure my thumb-tip is on the sniper button, it lifts my wrist almost entirely off the mat and my pivot-point pretty much disappears!
However, the good news is that the problem seems to be reducing somewhat with practice with the MS-3, whereas it didn't with the Inferno (I have no idea why)

Desktop use: Now this *is* weird. Because the mouse is so comfortable and moulded to your hand, it sometimes feels weird to take your hand off it to do some typing!

That bottom thumb button? You're not going to press that by accident. In fact you're going to need Thor's hammer to press it on purpose. It may be set to something useful - muting the speakers - but I'm much more likely to use the volume control on my keyboard rather than risking a hernia in my hand. So a bit of waste in my opinion.

All-in-all it's obviously a fine mouse. The software is good. But was it worth the extra 33 quid over the G400? I'm not so sure.
But that's a personal opinion based mostly on the fact that after thousands of hours of FPS play the 518 became an extension of my right hand. Only (much) more time will tell if the Func MS-3 can become the same

Last edited by RostokMcSpoons; 15th Mar 2013 at 00:09.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 10:07   #19
captain caveman
life is pain

captain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyancaptain caveman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I am serial purchaser of gaming mice on the endless quest to find a comfortable FPS mouse, I have had draws full of unused mice, i have one of these Func MS-3's the build quality is very good and the software is excellent, still not sure if I'm going to stick with it but it looks promising or just return too my good old favourite the Roccat Kone.
captain caveman is offline   Reply With Quote