bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 14th Mar 2013, 10:57   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Fujitsu boosts optical networks with ADSL tech

Ten-fold increase for off-the-shelf parts.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...itsu-optical/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2013, 12:22   #2
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
SO if I stick one of these fibre optics in my ear - will I hear the classic 56k modem handshake!!??
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2013, 12:32   #3
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.Corky42 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark
SO if I stick one of these fibre optics in my ear - will I hear the classic 56k modem handshake!!??
No, silly.
It's a optics cable you have to stick it in your eye.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2013, 12:52   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.Gareth Halfacree is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
No, silly.
It's a optics cable you have to stick it in your eye.
DO NOT LOOK INTO FUJITSU WITH REMAINING EYE.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 13:30   #5
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.kenco_uk is definitely a rep cheat.
THE INTERNET CAME INTO MY EYES AND OUT OF MY NOSE HOLES.

The applications for this are immense. I hope it ends up being a simple drop in replacement for all the shiny FTTC cabinets that are hanging around on street corners.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 15:13   #6
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The lasers are the drop in part. You still need line cards with 100gbit ports, which I might point out, are a bit hard to come by at the moment. Unless fijitsu can have this ratified as a proper Ethernet sfp standard (along the lines of 1000base-lx, 1000base-sx etc) then it's never going to be of much use, especially if the it's not compatible with existing 40/100gbit line cards.

And for those of you who think this will speed up fttn, or even ftth anytime soon.... lol.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Mar 2013, 15:22   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by play_boy_2000 View Post
The lasers are the drop in part.
Actually, the lasers are unmodified COTS parts designed for 10Gb/s transmission. Says so in the article. Which, of course, you read before commenting. In full.
Old 14th Mar 2013, 15:59   #8
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Says so in the article. Which, of course, you read before commenting. In full.
<3
Old 14th Mar 2013, 20:58   #9
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
"For home users, the system promises a potential boost for the growing number of fibre broadband services: current fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) systems could enjoy a tenfold boost to the cabinet to eliminate congestion"

Ooooh!!!!, sounds amazing, then you realise we'd have to rely on BT to actually fit this stuff into their cabinets..so, should be ready around 2020 if we're lucky.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Mar 2013, 17:58   #10
LightningPete
Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

LightningPete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well at least theres something that the companies have to upgrade us in 2 years time, even if the tech were available now. Although they screw us out of this tech now, at least we know our FTTC services are going to improve eventually and by a sizeable amount (even if not that described).
Well done on fujitsu for research time and effort for this
LightningPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2013, 20:35   #11
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Actually, the lasers are unmodified COTS parts designed for 10Gb/s transmission. Says so in the article. Which, of course, you read before commenting. In full.
On this side of the pond, a drop-in part generally refers to a generic, easy to acquire part that can be used in place of a more expensive custom part. How does the Queen's English define it?
Asus P8P67
Old 20th Mar 2013, 08:01   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by play_boy_2000 View Post
On this side of the pond, a drop-in part generally refers to a generic, easy to acquire part that can be used in place of a more expensive custom part. How does the Queen's English define it?
That definition does not fit in this context: a drop-in replacement is exactly what it sounds like, a replacement part that requires only that the original part be removed and does not require any redesign work. An AMD A10-5800K is a drop-in replacement for an AMD A6-5400K, for example. The lasers, however, are not being replaced - hence that definition not fitting the context.

Re-read the article and what you wrote in reply, and insert "a generic, easy to acquire part that can be used in place of a more expensive custom part," see if your reply still makes sense in the context in which it was made. I posit it does not.

The drop-in part, in this case, is the modem Fujitsu has invented: it 'drops in' to a design that has a 10Gb/s transceiver and makes it a 100Gb/s transceiver. The laser is not a 'drop in' part, in either use of the phrase, because it's not being replaced at all - it's the same laser in both designs.

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 20th Mar 2013 at 08:08.
Old 20th Mar 2013, 15:43   #13
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

In any event, my point was that fijitsu has not created a drop in replacement for an optical ethernet transceiver. No doubt that the IEEE may want to integrate some of the technology into a proper standard, but that is years away, and will require new line card designs.
Asus P8P67

Tags
broadband, data centre, fibre optic, fibre optic broadband, fibre to the cabinet, fibre to the home, fttc, ftth, fujitsu, optical, optical networking