bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 15th Mar 2013, 10:48   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Warhammer 40,000 license goes to Slitherine

The license for Games Workshop's sci-fi wargames franchise has gone to historical strategy game developer Slitherine.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...o-slitherine/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 10:53   #2
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Looks to be a dreadful choice. Swap out one of the best PC devs out there (Relic) for a company that's never made a AAA game before. Just look at its website; it's incredibly amateurish and looks like it was knocked together by a 6th former in an afternoon. http://www.slitherine.com/
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 12:26   #3
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Slitherine are clearly established and successful masters of their genre of games
Sorry, who are masters of their genre ?
Quote:
and there are many fans of their work
There are ?

It's a sad end to the great Warhammer 40,000 series
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 12:45   #4
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Baz, they're only handling turn-based. From what I understand, Relic still hold their Dawn of War licence.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 13:05   #5
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
in alternative news - Gryphondor came along and said ` wtf pwn j00 nubs`
Old 15th Mar 2013, 13:12   #6
blacko
Multimodder

blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.
We demand more information on Siltherine. David Hing, your job now is to go and interview them. Find out what they want to do. Don't leave us on the edge here. We all thought we could have ended up with a 40k Total War style game....so go on, get a move on.
blacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 14:13   #7
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
On the one hand I'm happy some *might* have a role in turn based 40k....on the other hand who the f*ck are Slitherine!?

Shoulda taken the turn based game to Firaxis. Imagine that. X-Com styled 40k (I cream my pants thinking about it)
Old 15th Mar 2013, 14:16   #8
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Only ever played it as tabletop. All stuff that was done for PC with this franchise was horrible imho.

Sororitas cheesecake!

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 15:35   #9
Grimloon
Usually bugnuts

Grimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run CrysisGrimloon can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Looks to be a dreadful choice. Swap out one of the best PC devs out there (Relic) for a company that's never made a AAA game before.
And as Relic are now owned by Sega rather than THQ they may never make one again
Grimloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 16:00   #10
Marvin-HHGTTG
Marvin. I don't care what ^ says...

Marvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitMarvin-HHGTTG is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Before folk get their knickers in a twist, the chances of Games Workshop turning down the colossal amount of money and publicity that Dawn of War etc earns them is zilch. I suspect GW will be able to license its own franchise more than once for different projects...

As it sounds like Slitherine will be working on a turn based strategy game, I'm hoping we see a modern version of Final Liberation, or even a virtual version of the table-top game. Would certainly be cheaper...
Marvin-HHGTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 16:14   #11
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
likely hood is we will see a mac and ipad version made of the game, As thats what this company is more known for ipad and mac games.

Guess Sega did not bid enough to get the deal.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 16:57   #12
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin-HHGTTG
Before folk get their knickers in a twist, the chances of Games Workshop turning down the colossal amount of money and publicity that Dawn of War etc earns them is zilch. I suspect GW will be able to license its own franchise more than once for different projects...

Totally agree, but I'd be happier seeing an IP that I love handled by some big experts who could give the game the polish it deserves.

I'll give Slitherine a chance, they could produce something special.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 17:30   #13
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
What the ****?!

This has literally left me open mouthed with shock. Sell your license to a company nobody know, who will produce games that nobody will buy after the reviews will inevitably pan them to death.

In comparison to Relic, the greatest (imo) RTS company and Sega, who now also own the second greatest RTS dev.

After Games Workshop trying to sue for the name 'Space Marine', and now this, they're really starting to piss me off with these awful decisions.

EDIT: Yes i'm jumping to conclusions, so sue me (Hope GW don't read this)
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 17:38   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
they dont have a choice who they sell the licence too thom thq are broke. highest bidder wins.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 18:06   #15
thom804
Multimodder

I'm pretty sure they (GW) had a choice.

Depending on stipulations, i'm guessing they would get a cut of profits based on number of games sold, in which case Games Workshop made an awful choice.

Unless, like you said, it was a straight up bid with absolutely no interest in the games themselves.
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
Old 15th Mar 2013, 18:19   #16
djab
What's a Dremel?

djab has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Looks to be a dreadful choice. Swap out one of the best PC devs out there (Relic) for a company that's never made a AAA game before.
And as Relic are now owned by Sega rather than THQ they may never make one again
Sega owns Creative Assembly, the developers of the Total War series.
I sure they would know how to make a good 40K strategy game.

slitherine, they may be good at table top style games ... but I never heard of them, never heard of the sellers games on there website.

I am all for encouraging inde studio but I guess GW just chose them to try to grab a slice of the mobile gaming market with the 40K brand.

I just hope that other studios are also working on 40K games.
djab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 18:27   #17
Sloth
#yolo #swag

Sloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming SaiyanSloth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin-HHGTTG View Post

As it sounds like Slitherine will be working on a turn based strategy game, I'm hoping we see a modern version of Final Liberation, or even a virtual version of the table-top game. Would certainly be cheaper...
I'd love to have a virtual replication of the table top game. Huge market GW is missing out on imo, to someone who is really into the hobby owning and building models is still a large part of the experience, but having a cheaper virtual option allows a much wider range of players to get in on the experience.

Unfortunately, the chances of that happening are slim which makes me wonder: just what kind of turn based game could they make? Most likely something with similar but largely modified gameplay and a 40k setting to sell more copies. Not too exciting.
Old 15th Mar 2013, 19:37   #18
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
I'd love to have a virtual replication of the table top game. Huge market GW is missing out on imo, to someone who is really into the hobby owning and building models is still a large part of the experience, but having a cheaper virtual option allows a much wider range of players to get in on the experience.

Unfortunately, the chances of that happening are slim which makes me wonder: just what kind of turn based game could they make? Most likely something with similar but largely modified gameplay and a 40k setting to sell more copies. Not too exciting.
Original Warhammer 40k tabletop for the iPad in 3d would be awesome!

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2013, 22:17   #19
thom804
Multimodder

I'm not entirely sure a 40k virtual tabletop game would be successful in the slightest really.

The people that would want that, probably have a decent enough army to play a match for real.
People that don't have armies can use ones that are at GW stores.
The only market I see this appealing to are the ones that don't want to cart their models around with them to a tourny/match.

The whole appeal of the Relic games, as I see it, is that they created a far more dynamic aspect that just can't be recreated through a tabletop game or a virtual representation.

Yes, the civ series is very succesful as a video-game turnbased franchise, but I just don't see it taking off for Warhammer, brand name prestige or not.

Last edited by thom804; 16th Mar 2013 at 01:37.
Old 16th Mar 2013, 09:46   #20
impar
2n-1

impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!impar - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Greetings!

Was exposed to Slitherine via Panzer Corps, they kep it close to the classic Panzer General feel but added some interesting mechanics to it.
Wait to see.