bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 20th Mar 2013, 16:14   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Xbox 720 to be always-online?

Evidence is beginning to mount that the so called Xbox 720 may require constant connection to the internet.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...lways-online/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 16:19   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
I imagine, like the article says, always online means it will download updates/patches in the background when it can, rather than require an internet connection to let you use anything.

It'll need a connection to authorise a game, and to patch etc, but I think that'd be it.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 16:20   #3
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
"will always maintain a network connection."
My PC will always maintain a network connection, whether it can use that connection to get to the internet is a different story.
Old 20th Mar 2013, 16:30   #4
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Seen allot of consoles gamers saying that if this is true it's the death nail for the console.

Makes me laugh, because PC's have a constant online connection and 99% of games now require you to be signed in to some form of system such as Steam or Origin in order to play them.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 16:34   #5
dr-strangelove
Multimodder

dr-strangelove has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Durango (the codename for what's expected to be called the Xbox 720)
Is there any evidence that it will be called the Xbox 720 or is that just what we've taken to calling it?
dr-strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 16:47   #6
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz
I imagine, like the article says, always online means it will download updates/patches in the background when it can, rather than require an internet connection to let you use anything.

It'll need a connection to authorise a game, and to patch etc, but I think that'd be it.
+1 - this is how it reads to me as well - it enters a low power state rather than turning off, and is connected to download patches/updates etc when you are e.g. asleep, so that you can turn it on and game straight away.

Can't see anything about game validation - think you might be reading bit too much into this particular source..
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 16:48   #7
Hamfunk
I AM KROGAN!

Hamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming SaiyanHamfunk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If all games are going to be installed on the HDD surely these things will have to ship with a pretty hefty HDD, sounds like it's becoming more and more like a PC!
Old 20th Mar 2013, 16:49   #8
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The only games that should require an online-connection for playing it are multiplayer-modes and MMOs imho.

BL2 was the only game I've bought so far that required a service like Steam, but after plaing it for three month I've deinstalled it together with Steam. This was the first and last time I've played such a restricted game, as I couldn't play the damn game, when my network was down due to environmental influences (-40°C killed my line for a few days).

The game-industry is digging their own grave, just because they think that they're selling more copies when they cut down the illegal copies.
JFTI. People who illegally copy games usually don't have any money to buy the games in the first place most of the time.

When I buy a game, especially games with single-player-mode, I want to be able to play it, even if I don't have an internet-connection to start with.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 16:52   #9
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
Seen allot of consoles gamers saying that if this is true it's the death nail for the console.

Makes me laugh, because PC's have a constant online connection and 99% of games now require you to be signed in to some form of system such as Steam or Origin in order to play them.
Not the same, I can lose connection to steam whilst playing games with no issue, but some games with an always on style DRM means I can't. (Heroes 6 is a good example, kept getting kicked from my single player game because my internet is iffy at home)

It's also the principle, I hope it's as Mankz suggests and you don't actually need to be online to play.
Also not a fan of it always being on, so hopefully that's not needed (although then again I'm very unlikely to be buying this console, but it sets a bad example in my opinion)
Old 20th Mar 2013, 17:06   #10
Ryun
Minimodder

Ryun has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from optical disc will not be supported.
I'm surprised you guys didn't make this the title of the article. Maybe I've just been in the dark, but this is huge for the xbox console.
Ryun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 17:07   #11
Ayrto
Supermodder

Ayrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for presidentAyrto should be considered for president
As mentioned already, it'll probably be for activation only as with PC. Not allowing any offline play at all would be stupid. And you'd expect only so many activations per game, again, as with some PC games. Both MS and Sony have been pretty coy about second hand games . Technically multiple activations(possibly higher than with PC) won't stop used game sales, but in practice it does, and it certainly ends rental.

More troubling is the fact that the Durango machine needs Kinect switched on to work according to the documents . MS has patented Kinect DRM tech, that detects number of users quote: "the users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken." - as a summary of the patent says.
Ayrto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 17:14   #12
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
it`ll want an allways on connection for random authentication.

its what will happen ; games with 1/2 the content server side.
Old 20th Mar 2013, 17:23   #13
Tyrmot
Supermodder

Tyrmot has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
All games will be installed on the hard drive. Play from optical disc will not be supported.
I'm surprised you guys didn't make this the title of the article. Maybe I've just been in the dark, but this is huge for the xbox console.
Agreed! This is the first I have heard of this?? Surely this is the actual news here!
Tyrmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 17:43   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
If all games are installed on hard disks that would effectively end second hand games sales, as you would have nothing to sell. You can hardly take a USB stick into game for second hand trade can you.

Sounds alot like steam and origin.

Don't see the issue.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 17:47   #15
erratum1
Banned

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
It sounds like it can sit in a low power state and still download updates/patches so when you turn it on (full power state) it's ready to go.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 17:51   #16
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I really can't wait till these consoles are finally released. It's been so long! I'm not bothered if it needs to be connected continuously, as my internet has always been reliable, and fast.

Everything Media gets connected to the internet these days, and will all use a cloud system to keep everything in sync. So hurry up already! Life is short and I want Photorealism graphics before I die!
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2013, 21:01   #17
Tynecider
Since ZX81

Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Tynecider is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
SpyBox 720 more like it.

Remember this....

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13...u-for-the-mpaa

Not rocket science to see where this is (more than likely) going.
“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.” - Frank Zappa
Tynecider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 03:05   #18
SexyHyde
Supermodder

SexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the DremelSexyHyde has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynecider
SpyBox 720 more like it.

Remember this....

They can't spy what they can't see!
SexyHyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 07:54   #19
Waynio
Mmmm Donuts

Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.Waynio is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynecider View Post
SpyBox 720 more like it.

Remember this....

I'd just stick chewing gum in it's eye or eyes so it can't see you & if it has ears do the same for those lol.

If that disables console from working demand full refund.
Waynio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 08:18   #20
Corky42
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_gamer View Post
I really can't wait till these consoles are finally released. It's been so long! I'm not bothered if it needs to be connected continuously, as my internet has always been reliable, and fast.
And when its not ? my guess is if you do ever have problems with your connection you will be cursing the always on connection because you cant play the game you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_gamer View Post
Everything Media gets connected to the internet these days, and will all use a cloud system to keep everything in sync. So hurry up already! Life is short and I want Photorealism graphics before I die!
The only cloud i use is where i have control over my data (my home) and if you want Photorealism graphics you will have a long wait with console's, my guess is we are going to be stuck with these consoles for almost 10 years.

And with NVidia saying we will have Volta in 2016, i predict we will be in the same situation we are in now. I.E Three year old consoles crippling what can be done on a modern PC.
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote