bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:05   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Corsair unveils Vengeance K70

Upgrades the K60 with new backlighting.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...engeance-k70/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:11   #2
ChromeX
I *am* a Dremel

ChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the DremelChromeX has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
If the UK version does retail at 86, i'd be very tempted to buy, i've been after a replacement mechanical keyboard for a while and one with backlighting at a good price has been really difficult to find so far.
ChromeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:28   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeX View Post
If the UK version does retail at 86, i'd be very tempted to buy, i've been after a replacement mechanical keyboard for a while and one with backlighting at a good price has been really difficult to find so far.
Not a chance in heck of that happening, I'm afraid. There's VAT to take into account, which immediately turns that 86 into 103.20 - then there's import tax and all the rest of the awkwardness that comes of selling things into the UK from outside. I reckon you'll be looking at 99.99 if Corsair is feeling generous, 109.99 if it isn't.
Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:30   #4
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Bit pricey for me I'm afraid. And I want it in black and blue!
Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:52   #5
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
As a K60 user, I won't upgrade until every key is mechanical... having rubber domes for ESC and the other keys is just irritating.

I also quite like the silver alu compared to the black.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:53   #6
B1ackbeard
Corsair swashbuckler

B1ackbeard has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Mankz, the K70 is fully mechanical - every key is Cherry MX Red. Same is true of K95.
B1ackbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:56   #7
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This looks interesting but will have to see how it feels, as no doubt Scan will have some on display at some point so will have to try it out 1st.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:56   #8
Lance
Ender of discussions.

Lance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming SaiyanLance is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
Bit pricey for me I'm afraid. And I want it in black and blue!
This for me too.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 10:57   #9
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
As a K60 user, I won't upgrade until every key is mechanical... having rubber domes for ESC and the other keys is just irritating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Another change is the move to using Cherry MX Red switches beneath every major key, resolving one of the biggest issues we had with the Vengeance K60 and its use of membrane keys for the Escape, function and page navigation keys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
I also quite like the silver alu compared to the black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
the silver-finish keyboard uses blue backlighting, while the black-finish version uses red.
Old 21st Mar 2013, 11:05   #10
meandmymouth
Mod Master

meandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyanmeandmymouth is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I want.
meandmymouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 11:27   #11
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
TL;DR in future please...

I blame the anesthetic in my system.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 11:30   #12
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Are RGB LED's really that much more expensive? Given the premium nature of this keyboard I am sure that anyone thinking of buying it would consider paying a little more and would gives others the options they require when it comes to the colour of the backlighting...
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 11:43   #13
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
Are RGB LED's really that much more expensive?
They're between three and ten times the cost, and require three times the logic to drive (one IO line for red, green and blue, compared to just the one for a single-colour LED). Given that a 110-key keyboard with individual backlighting on each key would need 110 LEDs, that's a not-inconsiderable cost.

As an example: surface-mount red LED, 4.4p each; surface-mount RGB LED, 34p each.
Old 21st Mar 2013, 12:06   #14
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Actually, if they can achieve this for 110 and the build quality is on target it will be quite an attractive board for gamers I think.

It'll certainly make the Duchy Shine 2 look like poor value for money. I'm enjoying sitting back and watching the big peripheral manufacturers get their teeth into the mechanical keyboard revolution

I sold my Shine 2 as I was not really doing it justice with my limited gaming time, but per-key backlighting is definitely useful for dark sessions, even if it is just to highlight the quicksave/quickload keys
Old 21st Mar 2013, 12:51   #15
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Are RGB LED's really that much more expensive?
They're between three and ten times the cost, and require three times the logic to drive (one IO line for red, green and blue, compared to just the one for a single-colour LED). Given that a 110-key keyboard with individual backlighting on each key would need 110 LEDs, that's a not-inconsiderable cost.

As an example: surface-mount red LED, 4.4p each; surface-mount RGB LED, 34p each.
OK, that is fair enough and I understand the higher costs, but there is no way Corsair would be paying those costs as they would be getting them direct and in bulk. I still think they cold have done it on a premium board such as this even if it raised the price by 20-30.
I think there is a definite gap in the market for a FULLY customisable board but we keep getting 'almost there' boards.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 12:56   #16
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
OK, that is fair enough and I understand the higher costs, but there is no way Corsair would be paying those costs as they would be getting them direct and in bulk.
Economies of scale don't help when the differential doesn't change. If you reduce the cost of the components by half in a bulk order, the RGB LEDs are *still* nearly ten times the cost of the single-colour LEDs - and that's ignoring the requirement to have 330 PWM control lines to light 'em up instead of 110.
Old 21st Mar 2013, 12:57   #17
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Someone will eventually offer RGB backlit mechs, but there is still a much bigger market for membrane boards which cost a lot less and are much easier to backlight, as evidenced by Saitek, Razer and TT to name a few.
Old 21st Mar 2013, 13:08   #18
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I saw this and the new K95 but decided with the k90 as I like the spare keys and the finish of the k90
MOBO[ Asus Maximus Formula VI ]CPU[I7 4770K]RAM[Corsair Vengeance PRO Red 2133mhz]SSD's[1TB Samsung EVO, 256GB Samsung, 128GB Mushkin, 128 GT Corsair]GPU[Gainward GTX770 Sli]PSU[Corsair AX1200i Red Cables]SOUND[Creative soundblaster ZX E22 backplate]CASE[Corsair 540] Cooler[Corsair H100i]Screen[Dell U2913WM} Perp[Corsair K70, Logitech GS500S,Belkin razer N52TE,QPAD QH90]
Kovoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2013, 13:56   #19
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
That is a good looking keyboard!
Old 21st Mar 2013, 14:24   #20
IvanIvanovich
будет глотать вашу душу.

IvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming SaiyanIvanIvanovich is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Unless either RGB led can be designed to have only 2 leads, or Cherry redesigns the MX switch to house led with more than 2 leads, RGB led on MX is not going to happen.
It is possible to have 2 color led with polarity reversal and some of these are available now.
[end of line] intel xeon x3460 | evga p55 sli | 8gb mushkin blackline | evga gtx670 | seagate 600 240gb | creative titanium hd | seasonic ss460fl | gh60 keyboard | logitech g700 | achieva shimian qh270
IvanIvanovich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlit keyboard, cherry mx, cherry mx red, cherry red, gaming keyboard, k70, mechanical keyboard, microswitches, vengeance k60, vengeance k70