bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd Mar 2013, 07:03   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB Dual-X Review

AMD today unveils its new mid-range GPU, the HD 7790 1GB, and we've got it benchmarked.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...0-1gb-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 09:16   #2
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
The main dent in the armour of the HD 7790 1GB, however, is the fact that 1GB SKUs of the HD 7850 are still available for under 130. Sadly, we no longer have our sample and haven't been able to retest it, but at 1,920 x 1,080, this SKU performs almost identically to the 2GB one and it also has excellent overclocking potential too, so it's a real bargain.
Am I reading a different review?

Show me where it performs almost identically to the 2GB 7850?

This card is 25 over-priced, and therefore not worth buying.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube

Last edited by Spreadie; 22nd Mar 2013 at 09:40. Reason: reading fail
Spreadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 09:27   #3
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
If the price was lower then this wouldn't be to bad but because it's overpriced it's just not worth thinking about.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 09:36   #4
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
Am I reading a different review? Show me where it performs almost identically to the 2GB 7850?
Re-read what you quoted: it says that the 1GB 7850 SKU performs near-identically to the 2GB 7850 SKU at 1920x1080, not that the 1GB 7790 SKU performs near-identically to the 2GB 7850 SKU.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 09:39   #5
Spreadie

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
Re-read what you quoted: it says that the 1GB 7850 SKU performs near-identically to the 2GB 7850 SKU at 1920x1080, not that the 1GB 7790 SKU performs near-identically to the 2GB 7850 SKU.
Thanks Gareth - I clearly mis-read that paragraph.

It doesn't change the fact that, at 130, the 7790 is way too expensive though.

Old 22nd Mar 2013, 09:56   #6
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Many people seem to think that this card is the PC version of the one that's going to be inside the new Xbox.

If so, Sony will be smiling.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 10:03   #7
Spreadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post
Many people seem to think that this card is the PC version of the one that's going to be inside the new Xbox.

Why?

The review of the GPU is not indicative of it's performance in inside a console unrestrained by PC overheads.

Old 22nd Mar 2013, 10:10   #8
littlepuppi
Currently playing MWO and loving it

littlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyanlittlepuppi is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Pointless card @ current price
250GB Evo | 1TB SSHD | 500GB SATA
littlepuppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 10:20   #9
Baz
I work for Corsair

Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Baz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
Quote:

Why?

The review of the GPU is not indicative of it's performance in inside a console unrestrained by PC overheads.
Indeed; where's that article on here written by Ben Hardwidge on the differences of coding for DX and console?

Here it is! http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...l-to-directx/3
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 10:34   #10
xaser04
Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.xaser04 is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie
Quote:

Why?

Whilst true the GPU inside the PS4 is a 18 CU(1152SP) / 32 ROP / 256bit GDDR5 slightly cut down HD7870.

Effectively coding to the metal the PS4 GPU is more powerful (assuming that this 896SP part is what will be found in the next Xbox).

Real world of course the difference will be minimal as most cross platform developers will code to the lowest common denominator (or put little effort into extracting the extra grunt out of the more powerful platform).
xaser04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 10:48   #11
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Quote:
Why?
And neither is the one inside the PS4 with a 256bit interface and double the ROPS...it's all relative, if Sony starts from a higher baseline, Xbox wont be able to match the PS4.

Certainly not with a GPU based on a 128bit interface and only 16 ROPS.

Hence the Sony smile.
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 11:04   #12
sakzzz
Multimodder

sakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Is there any point in publishing results showing the card do 18fps at ultra settings ? Doesnt really help make decisions when its pretty much unplayable for most cards in that price range.
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 11:16   #13
Hustler
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser04
Real world of course the difference will be minimal as most cross platform developers will code to the lowest common denominator (or put little effort into extracting the extra grunt out of the more powerful platform).
I certainly agree with that for multi-platform releases, but 1st party games on the PS4 will be unburdened with such lazy developer restrictions, and will truly show just how superior the PS4 GPU is.
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 11:30   #14
Harlequin
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Harlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming SaiyanHarlequin is a Super Spamming Saiyan
unless MS pull out the stops and CF what they are actually using (possibly doable)
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 13:49   #15
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Crossfire in a console people really are crazy.

Power, heat, noise is 3 reasons not to do it in a box that will be small.

This card is overpriced by aprox 25 maybe more than that. Also not sure i see the point in the tests at ultra settings or 2500 resolution. This card is not designed for either.

In all honesty most people looking at this card will not even have a 1080p monitor to play games on be a 720p tv or worse.

Standardised review setup is great for high end but I think the low end needs work.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 15:02   #16
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
In all honesty most people looking at this card will not even have a 1080p monitor to play games on be a 720p tv or worse.
Or they're just looking for a budget card. The scores aren't great, but remember they've tested with nearly everything on max. If this card didnt struggle with those settings then why would we buy the more expensive cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Standardised review setup is great for high end but I think the low end needs work.
Agreed, instead of testing 1920x1080 and then 2560 x 1600, why not rule out the 2560 x 1600 and do a different test? Maybe 1920 x 1080 and medium? I'd suggest 1600 x 900 but not a clue as to how many people use them.
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 15:26   #17
Spreadie

I can see some worth in testing 1680x1050 or 1440x900 with budget GPUs.

Old 22nd Mar 2013, 15:42   #18
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I hope they don't all have the dead space on the PCB when they could be much smaller...
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 17:07   #19
loftie
I *am* a Dremel

loftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyanloftie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
I can see some worth in testing 1680x1050
Ah, that's the res I was thinking of.
Old 22nd Mar 2013, 17:15   #20
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Some fair points regards mid-range testing - we'll have a think about it.

As regards resolution, though, bear in mind that 1080p monitors can now be had for, well, about the same outlay as this card - circa 125.
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote