bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 27th Mar 2013, 04:19   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD Radeon 7990 made official and demoed

AMD has finally officially unveiled its next flagship graphics card, the 7990.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...l-and-demoed/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2013, 09:27   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD late to its own party?
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2013, 09:32   #3
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
"Does AMD's new card tickle your fancy? Let us know your thoughts in the comments."

No. I've written off this gen and I'm counting down the days until the next one. Whenever the hell that is.
Realistically to continue gaming on 3 screens I need around double the performance I'm getting with my current 2x570GTX's. I just don't know if that's going to be possible or not
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2013, 09:37   #4
Jimbob
Modder

Jimbob has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
@Runadumb I totally agree, I'm using a HD6990 on 3 screens I had considered a pair of 7970's or a GTX690 but I need a bigger jump than is currently offered to make it worthwhile throwing down £800.

I hoped to be seeing the AMD 8K and NVidia 7xx series leaking better by now. Guess we still have quite a wait.
Jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2013, 14:21   #5
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Have manufactures not already released a 7990 card? I was under the impression Asus among others have a duel gpu AMD card for the 7 series GPU range.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2013, 14:40   #6
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
For those with 3 screens, I wonder if the less-than-preferred performance is not so much the cores struggling but the lack of VRAM. IMO, 6GB on 3 displays of 1080p or higher while playing modern games seems like just barely good enough. There are HD7850s with 4GB. I think having 2 of those would prove to perform better on 3 displays than 1 HD6990 or even a 7990. OTOH, I think a single HD7990 would perform better on 1 or 2 screens than the 2x HD7850s.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2013, 14:41   #7
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
Have manufactures not already released a 7990 card? I was under the impression Asus among others have a duel gpu AMD card for the 7 series GPU range.
First line of the Article
"AMD has finally unveiled its version of the HD 7990 some four months after board partners first released cards based on the design. "
Old 27th Mar 2013, 14:43   #8
runadumb
Supermodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
For those with 3 screens, I wonder if the less-than-preferred performance is not so much the cores struggling but the lack of VRAM. IMO, 6GB on 3 displays of 1080p or higher while playing modern games seems like just barely good enough. There are HD7850s with 4GB. I think having 2 of those would prove to perform better on 3 displays than 1 HD6990 or even a 7990. OTOH, I think a single HD7990 would perform better on 1 or 2 screens than the 2x HD7850s.
I'm pretty sure VRAM is a big issue for me. I only have 1.3GB per card. My next card(s) will be at least 3GB.
Old 27th Mar 2013, 14:50   #9
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by runadumb View Post
I'm pretty sure VRAM is a big issue for me. I only have 1.3GB per card. My next card(s) will be at least 3GB.
Hah yea, you will probably need more. But keep in mind Nvidia seems to handle memory a little better. I'd say in terms of gaming performance, 2GB of VRAM in an nvidia GPU is as good as 3GB in an AMD GPU. I'm sure plenty of people would disagree but it's just my personal opinion.

For the record, I like both companies equally; I like the work ethic and ambition of Nvidia but I don't like their attitude toward a lot of things. I currently use AMD right now but I have no problem in supporting nvidia.
Old 27th Mar 2013, 17:57   #10
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Less plugs is surely going to be more to do with keeping it within the 300W limit to make it PCI-E Compliant rather than anything else. Asus don't really care is their small run of boards don't comply, AMD thmeselves have to worry about these things.
XFXScorpio911 PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz SLI GTX 480 1536MB ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T CORSAIR HYDRO H50 CORSAIR F60 WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit Musings On The Technical World Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2013, 20:09   #11
CowBlazed
Supermodder

CowBlazed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
[QUOTE=schmidtbag]
Quote:
Originally Posted by runadumb View Post
But keep in mind Nvidia seems to handle memory a little better. I'd say in terms of gaming performance, 2GB of VRAM in an nvidia GPU is as good as 3GB in an AMD GPU. I'm sure plenty of people would disagree but it's just my personal opinion.

For the record, I like both companies equally; I like the work ethic and ambition of Nvidia but I don't like their attitude toward a lot of things. I currently use AMD right now but I have no problem in supporting nvidia.
Think about it logically, is a texture made by the game developer going to take up more space on an AMD megabyte then on an nVidia megabyte?
CowBlazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2013, 20:21   #12
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

[QUOTE=CowBlazed;3316693]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag

Think about it logically, is a texture made by the game developer going to take up more space on an AMD megabyte then on an nVidia megabyte?
I've thought of this myself but there's a lot more than textures that are loaded into VRAM. The architecture between the GPUs are drastically different, so AMD GPUs could end up loading more instructions into memory than an nvidia card, or nvidia might've just found a more efficient way to handle memory. For example, look at Vista compared to Windows 7 - it has less features but is more memory consuming. As another thought, nvidia drivers might end up using more system memory rather than it's own, though I would doubt that.

Also note that nvidia usually has notably higher memory bit rates than AMD cards. I have a 256MB 7900GT and it was comparable to ATI GPUs with 384MB, or some 512MB models due to it's surprisingly fast and high-bandwidth memory. It's still high even for today's standards.