bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Apr 2013, 14:19   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Thermalright Archon SB-E X2 Review

Thermalright's Archon SB-E X2 is here to show us that there's still life in air coolers yet.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/coo...-e-x2-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 14:33   #2
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
What a brilliant performance... but it's MASSIVE!

For those who don't need the few degrees Celsius premium I'd still recommend a Corsair Hydro at a similar price point.
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 15:32   #3
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Thermalright cooler reviews are boring, because the name alone says it all. They just don't produce crap, do they?
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 15:36   #4
Fingers66
Kiwi in London

Fingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming SaiyanFingers66 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Is it me or is the cooler VERY close to the back of the GPU in your photo of the 2011 rig?

Any GPU's with backplates will clash won't they?
NAS 1:[Synology DS211j] NAS 2:[OMV]
Fingers66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 15:39   #5
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Great review and a great performance, but why does it have to be such an awful colour? Why can't they at least offer plain black fans if they don't want to get in to the various colour ranges?
Even without a case with a window it would bug the hell out of me knowing that was in there.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 16:51   #6
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Impressive, so aircooling isn't as dead as often said

Shame the Macho isn't in the testing list, would have been nice to see it compared to this one

Anyway, a question:
Quote:
Trust us when we say that trying to turn a wrench inside a component filled enclosure
Threy're all thumbscrews, what wrench?
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 18:01   #7
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Threy're all thumbscrews, what wrench?
Excuse me if I'm wrong but I think Matthew was referring to Thermalright's Pressure Vault Bracket System:
Quote:
However, the Archon SB-E X2 also utilises what Thermalright has named its new and proprietary Pressure Vault Bracket System, whereby a bolt in the middle of the pressure plate can be tightened, thus applying direct downward force on the centre of the baseplate.
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 18:23   #8
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
After having tested some AIO watercoolers I'm aswell back to good old aircooling, as a good aircooler is allmost as good and in most cases more silent actually.

Other badass-aircoolers that can compete with a Corsair H100 are the Phanteks PH-TC14PE or the Silverstone Heligon HE01 for example.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 19:11   #9
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Speaking of which, why wasn't the Phanteks PH-TC14PE in the test when it is mentioned in the conclusion? I know you can't compare every cooler but it does offer better performance while offering the colour options as mentioned. If you needed to cut down the table surely we do not need to see all 3 settings for the water coolers.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)

Last edited by SchizoFrog; 3rd Apr 2013 at 19:25.
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 20:33   #10
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Bleh, not enough of a difference to make me change out my Tranquillo. I'll keep saving for a Kraken then I guess.
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 22:11   #11
blackworx
Cable Wrangler

blackworx has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipa View Post
Thermalright cooler reviews are boring, because the name alone says it all. They just don't produce crap, do they?
+1

Consistently outstanding design and build quality.
blackworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 22:45   #12
enciem
Multimodder

enciem has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Great review and a great performance, but why does it have to be such an awful colour? Why can't they at least offer plain black fans if they don't want to get in to the various colour ranges?
Even without a case with a window it would bug the hell out of me knowing that was in there.
I reckon horrible coloured fans have been adopted as a mark of quality in the cooler market. The fan colours and the clips they're using here look a lot like the Noctua coolers I had
enciem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2013, 07:42   #13
Xir
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.Xir is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbryanw View Post
Excuse me if I'm wrong but I think Matthew was referring to Thermalright's Pressure Vault Bracket System:
Yup, which has a thumbscrew right smack in the middle of it, firdt page, last picture.

AHa, the central pressure thingy is a thumbscrew, but the plate holding it has bolts.
X1800XT 512mb Sapphire
200GB Samsung SP2004C 24" Asus something 1920x1080
Xir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2013, 10:18   #14
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Seriously? It's been a little while since I've needed to get into my case, and I couldn't even tell you what color fans I have in there at all, HSF or case fans.

I'm not arguing your main point, though - they are pretty heinous. Slightly better than than the weird fleshy tones of Noctua fans, but not much.
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2013, 14:59   #15
Kasius
Bringing the dremolition

Kasius has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Even with its vast enormity it still looks smaller than my Frio, might be time to trade the ole' dog out.
Old 4th Apr 2013, 19:12   #16
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
Yup, which has a thumbscrew right smack in the middle of it, firdt page, last picture.

AHa, the central pressure thingy is a thumbscrew, but the plate holding it has bolts.
Ah, thought it might be too obvious. So the plate holding the new Pressure System down is what BT were on about re: the wrench - mystery solved
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2013, 21:37   #17
MeddlE
Supermodder

MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.
Still using my IFX-14 with 2 x TY140 fans running at minimum speed. Keeps my Q9650 in the low 50's while running BF3. If I had to replace it it would be with another Thermalright product.
MeddlE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2013, 11:55   #18
TheDarkSide
Modder

TheDarkSide has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i have a silver arrow, so does this one slot above it or below it in terms of performance? can't really tell.
Anyway thermalright do indeed make quality producs, but i'm going to echo others in that i don't understand why they can't just make black fans? i actually replaced the TY on my cooler with corsair SP fans just because of that.
TheDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2013, 12:22   #19
MeddlE
Supermodder

MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.MeddlE is definitely a rep cheat.
I pick my products based on performance and not on aesthetics.
MeddlE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2013, 09:11   #20
WALKYRIE
Minimodder

WALKYRIE has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by enciem

I reckon horrible coloured fans have been adopted as a mark of quality in the cooler market.
I agree, another awful beige fan