bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 3rd Apr 2013, 19:09   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Disney closes LucasArts

Disney has closed its in-house game studio and moves to licensing arrangement.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...es-lucasarts/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 19:15   #2
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sad, but hardly suprising.

They haven't released a game that has caught my attention in a good few years.
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 19:23   #3
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
This is pretty sad news (in my opinion)

So what will happen to games like SWTOR?
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 19:27   #4
Niftyrat
Dremel overpriced like EA games

Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Niftyrat is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
pretty typical, there is a market for a redone xwing or tie fighter game and seemingly lucas before him and now the folks at disney are prepared to ignore the ripples, last time i saw anyone this blind anakin turned to the dark side at the hands of the emperor
Niftyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 19:31   #5
dr-strangelove
Multimodder

dr-strangelove has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Sad news, I hope that some of their IPs are made available to other developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeStorm
This is pretty sad news (in my opinion)

So what will happen to games like SWTOR?
LucasArts only published SWTOR (along with EA) so it should continue along fine but I fear we won't be seeing any good new Star Wars games for the forseeable future
dr-strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 19:36   #6
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-strangelove View Post
Sad news, I hope that some of their IPs are made available to other developers
Well, Disney do own Star Wars...and Disney Interactive.
Imagine a Star Wars game helmed by Warren Spector!
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 19:46   #7
Joey Propane
Supermodder

Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Joey Propane is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
1313 was looking freaking awesome! God damn it.
Joey Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 20:35   #8
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Damn, I was holding out for the sequel to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis D:
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 21:12   #9
GeorgeStorm
Aggressive PC Builder

GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.GeorgeStorm is definitely a rep cheat.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-be-saved.aspx

Pretty please.
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 21:15   #10
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Makes me so sad http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games
Some amazing games in there
XFXScorpio911 ¦ PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz ¦ SLI GTX 480 1536MB¦ ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA ¦ 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T¦ CORSAIR HYDRO H50 ¦ CORSAIR Force 3 120GB ¦ WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit ¦ Musings On The Technical World ¦ Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 22:00   #11
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
None released in recent years though.

Knights of old republic was the last truely great game that they made.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 22:19   #12
pbryanw
Multimodder

pbryanw has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo
Knights of old republic was the last truely great game that they made.
And wasn't that developed by BioWare (the brilliant original, not the so-so MMO). If you look to in-house games and not outsourced ones, I agree they haven't made a good one in a long time.

Actually, I'm hoping this doesn't mean the end of hopes for a decent X-Wing or Tie-Fighter sequel.

Last edited by pbryanw; 3rd Apr 2013 at 22:29.
pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 22:45   #13
azrael-
I'm special...

azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!azrael- - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Apart from the Jedi Knight series and Outlaws I will mostly remember LucasArts (or Lucasfilm Games, as it was originally called) for their excellent adventure games. Although I'm not quite sure which of these I remember most fondly. The first adventure I played through was probably Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (Maniac Mansion initially passed me by). Hilarious, like most of them (the exception being The Dig).

Initially, they did put out some more weird games like The Eidolon, Koronis Rift and Rescue on Fractalus. I never could get into these.

Shame they're gone. They'll certainly be missed, although they haven't released anything of worth (IMHO) in over a decade.

Xeon E3-1245 v2 3.4 GHz | ASUS P8C WS | 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3 | Samsung 830 256GB | eVGA GTX670 2GB | SB Audigy | Seasonic X-560 | Corsair Obsidian 550D | Dell 2209WA
azrael- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 22:55   #14
fix-the-spade
Hypermodder

fix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyanfix-the-spade is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom804
Well, Disney do own Star Wars...and Disney Interactive.
Imagine a Star Wars game helmed by Warren Spector!
Didn't Disney close Junction Point and fire Spector after Epic Mickey 2 bombed?
fix-the-spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2013, 23:31   #15
B1GBUD
A Paragon of Virtue.... Apparently

B1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming SaiyanB1GBUD is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
Damn, I was holding out for the sequel to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis D:
This!! Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was one of my all time favourite point and click adventures, I have fond memories playing that on my 286.

Such a shame that Disney aren't going to make a sequel, I just hope that they license it to someone that will do it some justice.

SCUMM forever
( Kid you dont want either only bud is any good lol )
B1GBUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2013, 00:11   #16
Shirty
R.I.P. KidMod

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yay
Old 4th Apr 2013, 01:23   #17
GravitySmacked
Mostly Harmless

GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GravitySmacked is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Propane View Post
1313 was looking freaking awesome! God damn it.
Yep me too

GravitySmacked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2013, 01:24   #18
Madness_3d
Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Madness_3d - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
According to the Wiki page they've been having "management issues" since about 2004. Is a shame since 1313 was looking like it could really be a push back in the right direction, hope that someone else picks it up
XFXScorpio911 ¦ PHENOM II X4 965 @ 4.02Ghz ¦ SLI GTX 480 1536MB¦ ASUS CROSSHAIR II FORMULA ¦ 4GB OCZ REAPER 1066 5-5-4-8 2T¦ CORSAIR HYDRO H50 ¦ CORSAIR Force 3 120GB ¦ WINDOWS 7 HP 64bit ¦ Musings On The Technical World ¦ Steam
Madness_3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Apr 2013, 08:58   #19
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I think we all saw this coming even if we didn't want to admit it at the time. Disney were only out IP shopping.
Old 4th Apr 2013, 10:29   #20
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
They're turning Lucusarts into a license distribution company so it will open the doors for other companies to make Star Wars games, but I'm hoping they don't ignore all the other IP they hold (please let someone get the rights to make a new DOTT...)

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote