bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Recreation > Gaming

Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:28   #1
mattyh1995
Hypermodder

mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
The reliability of UK internet providers for gaming

Is there a single provider out there that can keep their service up 99% of the time, doesn't cost an absolute fortune and can provide a stable connection for gaming?! I'm yet to find one personally.

I live in a rather large town just outside Wigan in the North-West and while I'm rather lucky that I only ever get a bad connection to Battlefield 3 and a few other games, my friends who are only a mile away can't do anything on the internet until 9pm and even then its only truly stable at around 11pm. I'll use two of my friends as an example, they're on Virgin's 60mb package and I'm on their 30mb. I get a solid connection in everything (bar BF3 which is unplayable on any sever with any ping) while their average ping when I ping them has been over 3000 on more than one occasion. These friends and myself have both looked in forums, on comparison sites and anywhere else you can think of and all the reviews are the same. "X provider sucks for gaming! I lag all the time on wired Ethernet" (Yes me and my friends are all on wired).

Is there anyone on here that's found a little gem of a provider/package that will offer a stable, low ping gaming connection and decent download rates?
| CM Storm Stryker | Corsair TX750 PSU | Creative SoundblasterZ |
| Steam - [UK] Holcroft |
mattyh1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:32   #2
adidan
CPC_refugee

adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.adidan is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'd like to know this too, O2 has been pretty darn good but have been sold to Sky so not sure what will happen.
250Gb Samsung 840 // 650W Be Quiet Dark Power Pro // Lian Li V351b Apache Filled // Samsung T220 22" // W7 64
adidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:32   #3
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
When I was on ADSL, I was with BE Broadband, as they're gaming-oriented with their lines. Now I'm on cable, it's Virgin Media's 120mbit/sec line, which I have not had one single problem with, again.
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:34   #4
mrbungle
Undercooked chicken giver

mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.mrbungle is definitely a rep cheat.
I will say this for gamers you get what you pay for with ISP's. I was with Zen and Fast on ADSL for years and I never ever once had a ping or latency issue. However they are very pricey and you have to pay for line rental.

I am currently with Virgin and they are very hit and miss. Over-subscription is rife and it sounds like your area is no different. Log a complaint on the virgin forum they will usually tell you if there is any work planned.

Also try thinkbroadbands quality monitor. It will show you when the latency on your connection crops up. useful when you are trying to prove there is a issue with your line.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:34   #5
Teelzebub
Up yours GOD not a Modarator /Staff

Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.Teelzebub is definitely a rep cheat.
I have the PlusNet pro unlimited never had a moments problem the speed is a constant 12mg and a ping of 10ms at all times

Mountain mods case, Enermax 1250w PSU, Asus Maximus V Extreme, i7 3770k @ 4.6ghz, Samsung 840 250gb SSD. 500gb Seagate,Corsair H80i wind tunnel, 16gb Corsair Vengeance pro 1866mhz,4xEVGA GTX 670 quad SLI, 2 bags of weed
Teelzebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:35   #6
Kernel
Likes cheese

Kernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run CrysisKernel can run Crysis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
When I was on ADSL, I was with BE Broadband, as they're gaming-oriented with their lines. Now I'm on cable, it's Virgin Media's 120mbit/sec line, which I have not had one single problem with, again.
I too am on Virgin Media's high speed line, and not had a single problem gaming, including on BF3
Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz / ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 / ThermalTake Frio / Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB / ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II / ASUS Xonar DS / Antec TruePower New 650W / Crucial M4 64GB + 256GB / 2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB / Fractal R3 / Logitech G15 / Logitech G500 / Dell S2209W / Dell E172FP
BF2 | BF:BC2 | BF3 | Eve Online | Xbox Live | PSN | Steam - Siuxia
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:36   #7
Mankz
________

Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Mankz is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I use bog standard EE Unlimited broadband...

Costs me 8 a month as I have an Orange/EE phone contract for 25. I get a 24MBps and have never once had the slightest bit of connection down time in the last 5 months. The router they supply does the job brilliantly and is easy to use.

I honestly cannot sing their praises highly enough.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:38   #8
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
+1 for VM for stability. my line was getting very very flaky but my modem was dying so I upgraded to 60mb and not had a single problem since. However, their traffic management mean that regardless of what package you're on you can not download a modern game in an evening as you'll trip the cap and the way they reduce your speed basically hobbles the connection completely.

You can download as much as you like after 10 but if like me you can't leave your computer on at night and you work during the day and don't like wasting electricity it can take a few days to get a 10+gb game downloaded.
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:39   #9
fdbh96
I *am* a Dremel

fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.fdbh96 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Have you tried changing your router, that helped a fair bit for me.
fdbh96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:40   #10
mattyh1995
Hypermodder

mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mattyh1995 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Why do people who have a pleasant experience with providers never visit all these review sites I see?!
| CM Storm Stryker | Corsair TX750 PSU | Creative SoundblasterZ |
| Steam - [UK] Holcroft |
mattyh1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 15:43   #11
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg View Post
+1 for VM for stability. my line was getting very very flaky but my modem was dying so I upgraded to 60mb and not had a single problem since. However, their traffic management mean that regardless of what package you're on you can not download a modern game in an evening as you'll trip the cap and the way they reduce your speed basically hobbles the connection completely.

You can download as much as you like after 10 but if like me you can't leave your computer on at night and you work during the day and don't like wasting electricity it can take a few days to get a 10+gb game downloaded.
As people have said, you get what you pay for. The higher you go, the less the cap engages. At 120mbit/sec there isn't one. I download stuff all day, every day and not once in the year I've been with them have I had a text, phone call, email or letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyh1995 View Post
Why do people who have a pleasant experience with providers never visit all these review sites I see?!
Because I don't have time fo dat!
Old 5th Apr 2013, 16:09   #12
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.rollo is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I'd say be there in the uk I was with aol and bt after that befor and both blamed my line for the constant dcs.

But with bethere my problems have disappeared completely 100% uptime currently connected for 3months 12days 13hrs at 16mb/2mb paying a rather small 18 a month.

Been with them since they created the company and I was looking for another ISP at the time.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 16:35   #13
julianmartin
resident cyborg.

julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.julianmartin is definitely a rep cheat.
Change your router on a Virgin Media connection - their bundled one is a massive pile of poop.

Core i7 930||Asus P6X58D-E||12GB XMS3||64GB M4||570GTX||Define R3
julianmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 16:58   #14
Paradigm Shifter
de nihilo nihil fit

Paradigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the DremelParadigm Shifter has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidan View Post
I'd like to know this too, O2 has been pretty darn good but have been sold to Sky so not sure what will happen.
Aye, my experiences of O2 broadband have been excellent; my experiences of Sky have been... abysmal. Was not a happy bunny when I saw O2 had sold it's phone/broadband setup to Sky...
Old 5th Apr 2013, 17:01   #15
Cei
pew pew pew

Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Cei is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
My BT Infinity connection has never, ever, gone down, and my ping on UK servers is <9ms.

Last edited by Cei; 7th Apr 2013 at 12:03.
Cei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 17:02   #16
steveo_mcg
I Mod, Therefore I Own

steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.steveo_mcg is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
As people have said, you get what you pay for. The higher you go, the less the cap engages. At 120mbit/sec there isn't one. I download stuff all day, every day and not once in the year I've been with them have I had a text, phone call, email or letter.
'Fraid not bud, they've just moved the goal posts (again)
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable

You'll struggle to hit it unless you're dl a game but its still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmartin View Post
Change your router on a Virgin Media connection - their bundled one is a massive pile of poop.
I only use it as a modem, I couldn't be bothered to rewire the whole network around this likely rubbish router.
Old 5th Apr 2013, 17:03   #17
Jedra
Supermodel

Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Jedra is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianmartin View Post
Can't recommend this enough - I just run their 'router' in bridge mode and connect through my D-Link - everything seems peachy.

The only downside to VM is that their DNS servers are a bit flakey - sometimes have issues with that, but never for gaming.

ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel Core i7 930 - Thermaltake FRIO - 12GB Corsair (6x2G CMD12GX3M6A1600C8) - Corsair AX1200 - 2GB Sapphire Radeon HD5970 OC - 256Gb Crucial SSD - X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Silverstone Fortress FT02R-W
Steam Profile ---------- XBL:Jedra ---------- PSN:Jedra ---------- BF3:Jedra7609 & Jedra
Jedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 17:04   #18
Parge
Bit-Sec

Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.Parge is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidan View Post
Quote:
Both owned by Sky now.

Caveat: I work for Sky.

Attempt to be non biased: It sounds like your friends need to get ADSL because clearly Virgins cable hardware in that street is faulty. Sky have truly unlimited downloads (no, really), but of course, the speed you get will depend on where you are in relation to your local exchange. The new Sky Modems are excellent, and in the last 3 years I've had just 1 problem (the day BF3 was released, couldn't access any IP6 content). I get around 8mbps, which isn't great for downloading massive 30GB games, but ping is about 30-40ms - which is perfect for gaming!
Old 5th Apr 2013, 17:11   #19
alfizzle
Supermodder

alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.alfizzle is definitely a rep cheat.
Virgin media has been great for me, I do live in one of the worst parts in my town tho so it's probably because not many other people have/can afford it in my area lol +1 on the dns servers I tend to use Google or bt dns and it's improved my connection tremendously!
alfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2013, 17:31   #20
hoochy
Need moar cooling

hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!hoochy - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I can only echo Parges comments in that I have never had an issue with sky. Not a dropped connection and having been through a house move with them the swap over was flawless.

Unlimited download, 20mb connection with a ping of 20-40 in most games. Living in a small town in the Midlands.

I don't work for sky
Fractal Design R3 | Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair H60 Liquid | MSI 4GB R290 Twin Frozr | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 500GB Seagate | 2 x 128GB Kingston v200 SSD | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair 650W | K60 w/ Reds | Razer Naga
hoochy is online now   Reply With Quote