1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to be tech's 3rd big comeback

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 5 Apr 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

wonder if almost all next gen consoles is powered by them has anything to do with his statement...

3. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

If the next gen consoles are all going to be powered by AMD chips then that's a huge win for AMD - assuming the next generation sells anything like the current gen

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

AMD chips aren't 'bad'.. they just aren't as good at high-end.

For what it does, FM2 is awesome.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Servers are where the cash is in today's hardware IT market and in that market AMD have 8% market share ARM are close to pulling ahead of them in that market.

Whilst intel hold a dominant 80% with its Xeon branded hardware.

The consumer desktop is a market that will struggle to get back what it once was.

Ps4 new Xbox and wii are great but last I checked its all licenced out AMD don't actually make the CPU or Gpu for Sony or Nintendo at the moment. It's been made at tmsc last I checked using sourced out licences to Sony and Nintendo.

The Ps3 despite 70mil unit sales has made nvidia less than £100million according to there financial reports, despite having both gpus over the course of its existance.

Which is basically peanuts so even if it gets 200mil unit sales we are still just talking licence money for AMD.

AMD need to win back there server market share which was around 35% 2 years back and it will take them back into the black.

6. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

APU's will always be in competing with discrete powerful CPU's and GPU's. Games and film CGI will always push the boundaries of graphics and because of this the discrete market will always be around, but it won't expand as much as the APU market where the need for small, moderately powerfull and low power-consumption devices will boom. Consoles are heading that way. Power efficiencies are getting better. Basically small affordable consumer electronic devices will all be using APU's. And the market for that is bigger than the high-end need for separate CPU and GPU.

7. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I'm very interested in seeing how kaveri competes with the ps4 in terms of performance.
    Will the fact the ps4 is fixed hardware without all the levels of abstraction (I keep hearing about) between hardware and software mean it won't even be close?
    Or can we the PC side finally have a simple, cheap 1 chip solution that can run in a well priced HTPC that compares well with the new consoles.

Having played uncharted 3 on the ps3 recently and having my jaw drop many times at just how god damn good it looked on my ancient ps3 I fear its the former. But then we've never had hardware so close for a good comparison.

Bring on the battlefield 4 benchmarks!

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

AMD can't compete with intel clock for clock, but the aquisition of ATi gave them more options.

The one thing AMD needs to get right is the performance for office and media, and in that case they actually don't look that bad, especially when they can sell their parts for less still making a profit.

However, ARM has entered the stage and is competing in the office and media segment now aswell, being even cheaper and lower powered than AMD.

In the future AMD will have to provide excellent mobile parts, which are going to eradicate office and media desktops or they have to offerbetter performance than intel for the big desktop ment for gaming or work. Otherwise they won't see a comeback I'm afraid of.
    All they've got left is the GPUs-segment, which they cleverly aquired from ATi.

9. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Riiight.

The same company that's releasing chips with a clock frequency said chips can't actually sustain under load. Liars, in other words.

AMD, what happened to you guys? You used to be the honest, nice ones.

10. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

There's not current or upcoming APU that we know of that's anywhere close to the PS4's APU in terms of GPU performance. There are also no current or upcoming APUs with the amount of memory bandwidth the PS4 has.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Is it just me getting 'Page not found' on the clicky?

12. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Same for me here!?

13. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

No, me too.

14. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Me too

15. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Sorry folks. Had to sort out some wording issues with AMD.

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and if you slander a company your not anonymous on the internet ;)

rollo - NVidia made sod all money because they were also taking on the fabbing of the parts , whereas AMD are just licensing them

17. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I might be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure NVidia is fabless, as well. I think TSMC is their usual fab. Also, I think we're pretty much down to TSMC, Global Foundries, Samsung, and Intel. Intel doesn't take contract work (yet), and I don't think Samsung does, either (god knows they can keep themselves busy enough, even though they don't even use Exynos in all their own products.)

Even with high volumes, console parts aren't high margin - likely because MS, Sony, and Nintendo know how to drive a hard bargain and write favorable contracts. And it's license money with either AMD or NVidia, since they're both fabless.

Intel makes money hand over fist in the enterprise sector - margins there are comparatively huge. Which is funny given how tight-fisted most companies I'm aware of are when it comes to IT. But, it's apparently always been that way, even when AMD had a decent chunk of the market. Not suggesting collusion or price-fixing, just that there was never a race to the bottom like there has always been in consumer hardware. AMD slipping in servers hit them hard, too - they'd be all right with crap margin and volume on the consumer side if Intel wasn't crushing them in enterprise, too. Hard to plow money into R&D when they don't have enough coming in from anywhere.

I think Taylor's putting on a happy face for everyone, maybe even himself included. He'll feel pretty stupid if he jumped ship from NVidia onto a ship that's about to sink...especially given how ugly it ended between himself and NVidia. As an AMD die-hard, I hope he's right (although I thought HSA was already out...or are they playing musical chairs with their terminology again?)

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Samsung does do contract work they have been Apples Chip supplier for god knows how long.

Intel will likely become Apples new chip supplier if the rumours are true.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

yes NV is fabless , but IIRC the deal they had to supply chips not just license making of them

20. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Well, he would say that wouldn't he?

Tags: Add Tags