bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 9th Apr 2013, 10:59   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Intel boosts Thunderbolt to 20Gb/s with Falcon Ridge

USB 3.0 is left in the dust once again.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...falcon-ridge/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 11:11   #2
Mankz
________

Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.Mankz is definitely a rep cheat.
Until they drop the price of Thunderbolt drives and the like, I don't care how fast it is.
Mankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 11:21   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz View Post
Until they drop the price of Thunderbolt drives and the like, I don't care how fast it is.
That's Intel's plan: Redwood Ridge is already going to be cheaper - well, cheaper to manufacturers, which hopefully means cheaper to consumers too rather than just boosting people's profits - and Intel's presence at NAB spoke volumes: "Buy Thunderbolt, 'cos it's chuffin' quick when it comes to shuffling 4K video around the place."

When you're spending 5K-500K on a display, the cost of the interconnect isn't really a prime concern. If Intel can sell enough expensive Thunderbolt gear to that kind of customer, economies of scale kick in and it will be able to sell cheaper Thunderbolt gear to the consumer who just wants to connect his monitor, camera and external hard drive over a nice quick bus.

At least, that's the theory. Remind me about this post some time towards the end of 2015, we'll see if Thunderbolt is in any way affordable as a mainstream alternative to USB 3.0 then...

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 9th Apr 2013 at 11:46. Reason: I accidentally a word.
Old 9th Apr 2013, 11:45   #4
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I tested a LaCie 4TB d2 with Thunderbolt and USB3 in the Apple-Store a few weeks back.

Datatransfer was around 10% faster with Thunderbolt than with USB3, but that doesn't justify the costs for such a device.

Thunderbolt isn't really that interesting imho, allthough it has some cool features like daisy-chaining all your periphal devices (screen, NAS, etc). The price for the devices and the cables is simply too high.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 13:34   #5
runadumb
Supermodder

runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.runadumb is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree

At least, that's the theory. Remind me about this post some time towards the end of 2015, we'll see if Thunderbolt is in any way affordable as a mainstream alternative to USB 3.0 then...
I'll remind you everyday UNTIL mid 2015. Then I'll go dark.
runadumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 23:17   #6
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
What a coincidence! Only because USB-IF announced today 10Gb/s + 100W on USB Intel decided to do that too (with Thunderbolt of course) !
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Apr 2013, 23:18   #7
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
2015? By that time we'll have USB4. ;-)
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 09:49   #8
blackerthanblack
Supermodder

blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.blackerthanblack is definitely a rep cheat.
Reminds me too much of the Firewire/USB2 situation where the Firewire group really priced themselves out the market. By the time they lowered the licence fee it was too late. Manufacturers have to sell at a price being in a competitive market - ultimate speed isn't the only concern. Manufacturers realised with camcorders that selling on one point and raising the price wasn't enough, hence the huge switch from Firewire camcorders to USB2 ones in the past.

Oddly enough it was mainly Apple that adopted Firewire in the early days just as they are now with Thunderbolt.

I think that they are going about it from the wrong end of the pricing spectrum (though it's understandable with Apple involved). They need to offer a similar speeds to USB but at a lower price point, with extra speed possibly for higher price points. Their current strategy is heading for high end niche product status and I think it will be stuck in that bracket - not selling enough to recoup development costs and lower the price - though the interested parties may be happy at that with Apple having a unique 'selling point' and Intel have both sides covered.
Old 10th Apr 2013, 13:26   #9
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradius
2015? By that time we'll have USB4. ;-)
Before that it looks like we will be getting SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0) upping the speed to 10Gps and 100w

Last edited by Corky42; 10th Apr 2013 at 13:29. Reason: Updated link
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 13:59   #10
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Before that it looks like we will be getting SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0) upping the speed to 10Gps and 100w
Why link to an external site when this very article has a link to a story on that subject, written back in January?
Old 10th Apr 2013, 14:24   #11
LightningPete
Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

LightningPete has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Well it looks like it wont make a difference to the average PC consumer then. Heres me thinking pre reading article USB was already suceeded. Thank god its getting to much to upgrade an entire motherboard just to have USB 3 capability, its bad enough to keep up with CPUs and GPUs and DDRx.

This will however will be a nice welcome to though univserities that need this kind of transfer speeds for all the devices they use at once
LightningPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 14:37   #12
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Why link to an external site when this very article has a link to a story on that subject, written back in January?
Because the article that was written back in January does not mention.
Quote:
that the new specification is nearing completion and should be ready in June
And
Quote:
that there is further headroom in the standard to again double the speed to 20Gbit/s
And
Quote:
and it probably will be 2015 before the new standard is integrated into chipsets.
If i knew posting updated details would offend you so much i wouldn't have bothered.
Corky42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2013, 14:48   #13
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
If i knew posting updated details would offend you so much i wouldn't have bothered.
Apologies if that was the impression I gave: my post was terse because I'm on my phone, and the forum text input box doesn't play terribly well with the browser...

Tags
falcon ridge, haswell, intel, redwood ridge, thunderbolt, usb, usb 3.0, usb promoter group