bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 12th Apr 2013, 10:23   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Gartner blames tablets, not Windows 8, for PC market slump

Microsoft off the hook, analysts claim.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...artner-slump/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2013, 11:35   #2
Flibblebot
Smile with me

Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.Flibblebot is definitely a rep cheat.
I think Gartner has a much more sensible analysis than IDC - simply blaming Windows 8 seemed a little lazy to me.

I think tablets are far more to blame than a new operating system. After all, most consumers don't even think about the OS when they're buying a new laptop, all they're concerned about is whether they can read email and use Facebook. Even corporates will wipe a new PC and install whatever the corporate standard OS image is.

The tablets thing is borne out in my work - I work as an adult tutor teaching IT classes, and we've seen a decrease in the number of "Computers for the Terrified" courses we run and an increase in the number of "Learn Your Tablet" courses.
Old 12th Apr 2013, 11:50   #3
erratum1
Banned

erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.erratum1 is definitely a rep cheat.
A tablet does what they want it's cheaper more portable.
erratum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2013, 12:38   #4
sstteevveenn
Minimodder

sstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsstteevveenn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can somebody write a script or something that inserts '[sic]' whenever someone writes 'going forward'? Maybe there is a firefox extension or something that does this? :/
sstteevveenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2013, 12:57   #5
Griffter
Supermodder

Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Griffter - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
i want to go back to 1998. schooldays, no worries and the start of usb i think and just great feelings all round. bliss
Griffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2013, 13:14   #6
rayson
turningthatintosomethingb ettercmod

rayson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
i dont pc growth slow down
rayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2013, 13:23   #7
Blademrk
Why so serious?

Blademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the DremelBlademrk has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
While I think Tablets are the main cause of this, I don't think Win8 is helping either (earlier in the week I overheard someone trying to return a copy of Win8 they'd bought because they hated it and get a copy of win7 instead (in Asda of all places, and no, they don't stock Win7))

My X-Box Live gamertag, PSN, Steam & Nintendo ID is BladeMrk
Blademrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2013, 14:10   #8
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Said this allready, when the other article blaming Win8 was written.

Smartphones and tablets can do most of the stuff people need, like eMail, social media and media-playback. Even office works nice with a tablet, aswell as some casual gaming.

There's actually nothing wrong with smartphones and tablets cutting into PC-sales, as they're nothing else then a PC basically. Atleast I see no difference between a low powered 11-13" laptop and a 10" tablet, when you attach a keyboard-cover.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2013, 14:25   #9
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstteevveenn View Post
Can somebody write a script or something that inserts '[sic]' whenever someone writes 'going forward'? Maybe there is a firefox extension or something that does this? :/
D'you know what, I think I'm going to start doing that. I already have something of a reputation for asking the question "and going backwards?" every time somebody says it in person...
Old 12th Apr 2013, 14:37   #10
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
I think Gartner has a much more sensible analysis than IDC - simply blaming Windows 8 seemed a little lazy to me.
I think the reason so much blame is laid at 8's door is because in the past most of the time when a new M$ OS came out it came with increased hardware requirements.
So maybe rather short sited people think this would have been the same with 8 or all future OS's, apart from the divisive modern UI touch capabilities i don't think 8 has caused people to rush out and buy new kit.

Last edited by Corky42; 12th Apr 2013 at 14:39. Reason: Grammatics
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2013, 15:09   #11
Tyinsar
6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
So ... if tablets and smart phones are the only things cutting into PC sales then why aren't the Surface and other Win8 tablets taking over that market?

(That's a rhetorical question.)
Old 12th Apr 2013, 15:25   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyinsar View Post
So ... if tablets and smart phones are the only things cutting into PC sales then why aren't the Surface and other Win8 tablets taking over that market? (That's a rhetorical question.)
Despite that, I'm going to answer it anyway: because people are buying cheap tablets, not 1,000 tablets. Both Gartner and IDC cite price as being one of the reasons for the slow sales of touch-based Windows 8 hardware. Couple that with Windows 8 being so alien, and your buyer's thought process goes like this: "Well, I'm going to have to learn an entirely new way of doing things anyway, so I might as well buy this Android tablet for 200 instead of the Surface Pro for 1,000."

Well, except those who buy an iPad. Price is less important in that sub-section of the market.
Old 12th Apr 2013, 16:05   #13
Tyinsar

Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.Tyinsar is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
... Couple that with Windows 8 being so alien, and your buyer's thought process goes like this: "Well, I'm going to have to learn an entirely new way of doing things anyway, so I might as well buy this Android tablet for 200 instead of the Surface Pro for 1,000." ...
Indeed. Let me add: "I can do most of what I want on my smart phone anyway." Even some of my business associates do a great deal more on their phones than on their desktop computers / laptops or tablets. Many people are already investing a great deal of time on devices that are not running Windows. They are already more comfortable with those (iOS / Android / BB) than with Windows 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
... Well, except those who buy an iPad. Price is less important in that sub-section of the market.
I bought an iPad(3) and IMHO it's only really worth it if it's jailbroken. I think my next tablet (in a few years) will be either Android or Surface.
Old 13th Apr 2013, 00:13   #14
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
disagree gareth i brought my ipad cause it was the best tablet on the market when i got it ( ipad 2) and the only one at the time that had sky go as compatible a major purchase decision for me.

Money never came into the question was about filling a need that i had.
rollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2013, 08:22   #15
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyinsar View Post
Indeed. Let me add: "I can do most of what I want on my smart phone anyway." Even some of my business associates do a great deal more on their phones than on their desktop computers / laptops or tablets. Many people are already investing a great deal of time on devices that are not running Windows. They are already more comfortable with those (iOS / Android / BB) than with Windows 8.

I bought an iPad(3) and IMHO it's only really worth it if it's jailbroken. I think my next tablet (in a few years) will be either Android or Surface.
I bought an iPad3 aswell, and I think that it's better then most Android-based tablets even when not jailbroken. I do draw alot on the iPad for example with Sketchbook Pro and the Retina Display makes it just that much better then all the Android-devices with the smaller resolutions and iOS in general runs alot smoother then Android, as hardware and OS are optimized.

Besides that. My next tablet definately needs a SDHC-slot or even better an USB-port for mass-storage, and currently I think only the Surface / Pro provides that. The Surface Pro especially could be very interesting when installing Photoshop.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2013, 09:47   #16
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
disagree gareth i brought my ipad cause it was the best tablet on the market when i got it ( ipad 2) and the only one at the time that had sky go as compatible a major purchase decision for me. Money never came into the question was about filling a need that i had.
So... you agree with me, then? Given that you just said "money never came into the question," and I specifically stated: "Well, except those who buy an iPad. Price is less important in that sub-section of the market."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77 View Post
I do draw alot on the iPad for example with Sketchbook Pro and the Retina Display makes it just that much better then all the Android-devices with the smaller resolutions and iOS in general runs alot smoother then Android, as hardware and OS are optimized.
I rather think you'll find that Android is also optimised for its hardware, just like iOS. Also, while the retina iPad was once the highest resolution tablet available on the open market - and may well have been at the time you purchased it - it has long since been beaten in that regard: the latest iPad 4 has a 9.7in 2,048x1,536 display, while Google's Nexus 10 (manufactured by Asus) has a 10in 2,560x1,600 display. In the "pixels per inch" metric Apple likes to use, that gives the iPad 4 a 264PPI density compared to 300PPI for the Nexus 10 - a considerable difference. You also tend to save money with an Android tablet: the Nexus 10 is 319 (plus about 8 postage) for the base 16GB model, while the iPad 4 costs 399.

Of course, there may be other reasons you find the iPad better than an Android tablet, and I am in no way saying that you should ditch the iPad - if it works for you, then stick with it. I'm merely pointing out that the iPad is not the leading tablet in terms of display resolution, regardless of what Apple may claim.

Quote:
Besides that. My next tablet definately needs a SDHC-slot or even better an USB-port for mass-storage, and currently I think only the Surface / Pro provides that. The Surface Pro especially could be very interesting when installing Photoshop.
Plenty of non-Apple tablets have SDHC card slots and USB On-The-Go (OTG) support - not just the Surface family. Sony's Xperia Tablet Z, for example, is an Android tablet launching next month with a micro-SD slot and USB OTG support. Sadly, it's more expensive than an iPad and has a somewhat disappointing 1,920x1,080 display resolution - but comes with the bonus gimmick that it's fully waterproof.

Interestingly, the cheaper you go the more likely you are to get micro-SD and USB OTG support: Google's Nexus 10 includes neither, but the Busbi tablet Ebuyer is currently selling for less than 50 does USB OTG no problem, while the 130 Gemini has both USB OTG and micro-SD support. Why this isn't reflected at the top end of the tablet market I just don't know, although Asus has always been pretty good in including it on the Transformer family if you get the keyboard dock - which includes a full-size SD card slot and at least one full-size USB port, no adapter required.
Old 14th Apr 2013, 19:40   #17
PingCrosby
Supermodder

PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.PingCrosby is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I blame the parents
PingCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2013, 20:44   #18
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PingCrosby View Post
I blame the parents
Eh?
rollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2013, 04:20   #19
Tyinsar

Quote:
I bought an iPad3 aswell, and I think that it's better then most Android-based tablets even when not jailbroken. ...

Besides that. My next tablet definately needs a SDHC-slot or even better an USB-port for mass-storage, ...
Swipe Selection, ShowCase, Activator, SBSettings, Manual Correct, Always Close, f.lux ... all free with a jailbreak. All greatly improve the usability of iOS. I'm pretty sure Android has eqivelants without the need for jailbreaks. I like my jailbroken iPad but I believe Apple needs to catch up with Android. Even Windows 8, despite MS's new locks, may heve better options than what Apple locks users into. Apple openned the tablet market up but Android has caught up and MS may be there as well - if they can get enough market share.

Tags
financial, gartner, idc, metro ui, microsoft, modern ui, pc market, pc shipments, shipments, slump, windows 8