bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 16th Apr 2013, 16:01   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Corsair Obsidian 900D Review

We get our hands on Corsair's new flagship case - the enormous Obsidian 900D
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cas...-900d-review/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 16:13   #2
phoenixck
Supermodder

phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.phoenixck is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Finally! Though it seems like an exercise of how many radiators can I fit into a case....

To do, put in a water loop, then fry all my components.
phoenixck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 16:14   #3
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Yes! They gave it to Leather!

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80

29" Ultrawide, Oculus Rift & X52 Pro
Parge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 16:15   #4
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I think the brushed alu look on the front panel is a mistake. From the photos, the 5 1/4" drive bay covers look untidy.

I also don't think a case like this should be marked down too severely for the lack of fan control - the type of people who will buy this will lean toward Aquaero or BigNG solutions, and top end motherboards now offer fairly comprehensive fan control software for the fan headers, and you can run a couple of fans off each header fairly comfortably.

Huuuge case though.

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 16:27   #5
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
I'm halfway through this excellent review..... why have they extended the window to the sides of the 5.25" bays - I hate it when Corsair to do this. I can't think of a time when I'd ever had something I wanted to show off on the side of my 5.25" bays (unless its so big you can fit a tube res?)

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 970 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80

Old 16th Apr 2013, 16:35   #6
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge View Post
I'm halfway through this excellent review..... why have they extended the window to the sides of the 5.25" bays - I hate it when Corsair to do this. I can't think of a time when I'd ever had something I wanted to show off on the side of my 5.25" bays (unless its so big you can fit a tube res?)
I do agree but I think the issue is height - you're not going to fit a tube res in that gap, but if the window didn't reach to this area, the window would look awful narrow. I think they envisage many people removing the top drive cage to put a pump there too, like in the photo on page 3, and you'd obviously want that bit of bling to be visible. It's just such a tall case...
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 16:43   #7
Jipa
Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Jipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run CrysisJipa can run Crysis
Just too large. End of story. Then again, some people actually buy the mountain mods(?) cases the size of a living room..

I don't get it.
Old 16th Apr 2013, 17:01   #8
Parge
ITX FTW

Ok, so finished the review. I agree with Spreadie, that anyone buying a 300 case will also have a fan controller (or at least, be able to afford one). I have one built into my Nanoxia Deep Silence, and its not even connected. If they made a version without one for 10 less, I would have bought it.

Aside from that, its about what I expected. Too big for me probably - think you'd need to be running SLI or triple SLI, or else it would look empty, and I'm a single GPU kinda guy. I do also like the fact that you can fit a full size rad in the roof without obscuring the top of the motherboard - that's something that is really nice to have. The sheer choice of rad mounts is also a delight!

Overall, I'm really looking forward to all the high end watercooled builds people do with this case, I won't be one of them, but I think we're going to see some awesome looking setups soon.

Old 16th Apr 2013, 17:07   #9
mikeyandrewb
Multimodder

mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.mikeyandrewb is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It's huge!
I presume you'd have to watercool everything to make use of a quad rad though...
mikeyandrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 17:24   #10
Corky42
Mod Master

Corky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming SaiyanCorky42 is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyandrewb
It's huge!
I presume you'd have to watercool everything to make use of a quad rad though...
Or just rent it out to a deserving homeless person
Corky42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 17:40   #11
Combatus

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42 View Post
Or just rent it out to a deserving homeless person
Let me just tweak the feature score!!!
Old 16th Apr 2013, 18:56   #12
ev1lm1nd666
Multimodder

ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Yet again the British get screwed over by price.........At the current exchange rate, the case should be 248.52 if the U.S. price is $379.99/ Or if the UK price is the main one then the U.S. price should be $458.68. So as usual we are charged a shed load just because we live the other side of a puddle
Old 16th Apr 2013, 19:05   #13
Big Elf
I am even more invisible than usual

Big Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming SaiyanBig Elf is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev1lm1nd666 View Post
Yet again the British get screwed over by price.........At the current exchange rate, the case should be 248.52 if the U.S. price is $379.99/ Or if the UK price is the main one then the U.S. price should be $458.68. So as usual we are charged a shed load just because we live the other side of a puddle
We're charged VAT in the UK so once you add the 20% it becomes 298.
Big Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 22:43   #14
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
What's going on with the case exterior? Is the finish on the panels a total grime magnet or is the bit-tech office just in need of a clean? I suppose this could be a hand-me-down review sample you're working with here...

Whatever the reason, the side panel looks pretty horrible!
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2013, 22:55   #15
Combatus

Yeah it did arrive a bit battered! Corsair is apparently shipping retail versions with beefier boxes so hopefully they'll look better...
Old 16th Apr 2013, 23:42   #16
Krikkit
Super Moderator

Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.Krikkit is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yslen
What's going on with the case exterior? Is the finish on the panels a total grime magnet or is the bit-tech office just in need of a clean? I suppose this could be a hand-me-down review sample you're working with here...

Whatever the reason, the side panel looks pretty horrible!
If it's anything like the 700D then it is definitely a grime and dust-magnet. Looks like an epic chunk of case!
Old 17th Apr 2013, 15:30   #17
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Just so people know, if you look at the picture that has the pump mounted on a plate just below the hard drive cage is that was left in on page 3.

That plate can be removed and you can fit a 240 or 360 monster (80mm) rad in with push/pull on it although really you wouldn't want to be mounting a radiator there.

I will probably do as was done in this review and mount the pump using that plate and remove the other hdd cage, and get a smaller res to mount to the pump and then have the output from the pump going up the back panel of the cage.

Then mount my SSD on the back of the motherboard tray then, get some caddies or something for my 2tb and 1tb drive.

Also after watching the TTL review of this case I have also asked that in his modding video that he will be doing, that he covers the potential for removing the 5.25" bays as to how easy or difficult it is but whether he does or not I don't know.

I have a few ideas for this case, but will need to find someone who can supply the material and make some parts for me as I have no skill with metal work.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Apr 2013, 11:18   #18
Necrow
Multimodder

Necrow has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I have the 800D for about 2 years now and can't complain, apart from the dust it's a perfect case and I cant see any reason to change it.
Necrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 01:20   #19
Siwini
What is 4+no.5?

Siwini has yet to learn the way of the DremelSiwini has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Overpriced much? I guess if the quality was there i'd say "OK"; but from what I experienced with Corsair quality on 650D; cheap parts, no USB 3.0 header, and front bay plastic broke off during shipment... Called their support and was advised to buy an internal header if I need USB 3.0, as if $180 for mid size case wasn't enough! Probably a good thing I don't have that case anymore.
Win7 Pro 64Bit | I7 860 @4.0Ghz XSPC RS240 | Gigabyte P55-UD5 | 8GB G.Skill 1600 7 8 7 24| Crucial C300 64GB SSD | 2x 1TB Samsung F3 RAID0 | Asus GTX 570 | Asus Xonar DS 7.1 | Logitech Z-2300 | Corsair CMPSU 850 ATX | Xigmatek Utgard | Dell U2410

Last edited by Siwini; 2nd May 2013 at 01:31.
Siwini is offline   Reply With Quote