bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th Apr 2013, 18:56   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Intel i7 Ivy Bridge-E tested, 10% faster than Sandy Bridge-E

Intel's new flagship desktop processor has been benchmarked, showing a 10% performance boost.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...t-faster-san/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 19:24   #2
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Welcome to Intel's world of zero Competition and only giving the public the bare minimum performance boost.

..Thanks AMD, thanks for the Bulldozer fiasco and giving Intel a free ride.
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 19:25   #3
maverik-sg1
Supermodder

maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.maverik-sg1 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
Maybe there's a potential increase in overclocking headroom?

Seems likely that those that could afford the old set-up will be able to afford whichever set-up offers fastest performance once more.....so at least it will match their tri-sli Titans
maverik-sg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 19:33   #4
theshadow2001
I *am* a Dremel

theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.theshadow2001 is definitely a rep cheat.
If its only a 10% increase, where does this put the chip against a current 3770k on single core performance. Which I believe was faster on single threaded applications than the 3970k. I know the 2011 series is all about the cores, but for the kind of money these chips command you want the fastest single threaded performance as well.
theshadow2001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 19:55   #5
Christopher N. Lew
Folding in memory of my father

Christopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for presidentChristopher N. Lew should be considered for president
Do we have any figures for power use?
Christopher N. Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 20:54   #6
Blackshark
Multimodder

Blackshark has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Welcome to Intel's world of zero Competition and only giving the public the bare minimum performance boost.

I think 'diminishing returns' is what Intel is coming up against. In the old days it was easy enough to drop in extra compute units, drop the FAB size and they were brilliant to come up with the Core and Core 2 designs. However at some point, as with the P4, its no use trying to squeeze more out of the hose.
Blackshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 20:57   #7
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler

I think 'diminishing returns' is what Intel is coming up against. In the old days it was easy enough to drop in extra compute units, drop the FAB size and they were brilliant to come up with the Core and Core 2 designs. However at some point, as with the P4, its no use trying to squeeze more out of the hose.
Time for an architecture change then. At least Intel can afford the R&D cost.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 20:58   #8
dicobalt
Multimodder

dicobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
That's nice, I'm still happy with my OC'd 2500K. I am interested in how the PS4 handles memory though, it would be nice for a PC to be able to do that. Maybe Intel should try something new like that.
dicobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 21:02   #9
Nexxo
Whatever's Geek.

Nexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming SaiyanNexxo is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher N. Lew View Post
Do we have any figures for power use?
Exactly. We've got plenty of performance. Lower power consumption is where it's at.
Nexxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 22:02   #10
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler View Post

It's a little short-sighted to be blaming AMD for this when it's not really their fault. Keep in mind their entire net income of last year was LESS than Intel's PROFIT. It's hard to pay for engineers when people would rather pay extra for a few additional FPS or some higher arbitrary number.

Anyways more on topic of the product itself, CPUs these days have more to worry about than just performance, power efficiency is a big deal now. Perhaps IB-E is considerably more power efficient than SB-E.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2013, 23:17   #11
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
AMD dropping out of the high end has given intel its free ride, we would of seen a 6 core ivy for the cheaper range by now if AMD was competitive.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2013, 00:14   #12
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Things may change with AMD winning all the next gen consoles. With that amount of income could see them spending on more research and come out with a better architecture, which they may have a come back to rival Intel.

You got to question why/how AMD has won these contracts - Have they got something up their sleves?
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2013, 00:58   #13
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_gamer View Post
You got to question why/how AMD has won these contracts - Have they got something up their sleves?
Things like this I always remember something a friend of mine once said -

Be better or be cheaper. Offer something the competition can't/doesn't or offer the same thing for less money... If you're both [better and cheaper], you're laughing... If you're neither, you're ****ed...

AMDs offering either offered something Intel's didn't [most likely the GPU element which Intel aren't great at], or was considerably cheaper...

Last edited by RedFlames; 26th Apr 2013 at 01:10.
RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2013, 03:13   #14
Gradius
IT Consultant

Gradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for presidentGradius should be considered for president
10% = nothing to me.

Make it 100% !
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2013, 08:24   #15
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Will be interesting to see if Intel made the same mistake with these chip's as they did with the standard Ivy Bridge CPU's in terms of the thermal paste fiasco, causing most people who want low temp's with high speeds to void the warranty on the cpu, by de-lidding it.

If it's 10% faster but uses 20% less power then that's a win in my book, but I don't know yet if I will or would be willing to drop the cash on a IB-E cpu for 10% performance gain over my SB-E.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2013, 08:28   #16
fluxtatic
Supermodder

fluxtatic has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_gamer
Things may change with AMD winning all the next gen consoles. With that amount of income could see them spending on more research and come out with a better architecture, which they may have a come back to rival Intel.

I stick with my original theory that it was partly that AMD was a one-stop for the console makers, CPU and GPU both from the same shop. I also have a suspicion that Intel and NVidia weren't all that interested - it's good publicity, but rumored to be comparatively low-profit. NVidia and Intel are both making money hand over fist, and enjoy solid positions in their markets. AMD is going broke and has a shaky position. It was reasonable to assume the next-gen consoles would be x86-based, and there aren't exactly a lot of other shops that can do that. Getting the GPU from the same house just keeps things easier (and likely cheaper on MS & Sony.)
fluxtatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2013, 09:24   #17
Parge
ITX FTW

Parge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming SaiyanParge is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by true_gamer

I wouldn't automatically assume that there is a lot of money in providing chips for the next gen consoles.

Parvum ITX - 3570k - GTX 770 - Asus P8Z77-I ITX - 8GB Tactical Tracer - 256GB SSD - 480GB SSD - H80
Parge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2013, 11:27   #18
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
If the rumours are true AMD are providing the first batch of chips for each console around 2-3mil give or take,( its where all there tsmc space has gone hence not alot of new pc parts this year) then they are just given licence money after that. The licence money will be between 50-100mil per console per year so we are not talking huge sums.

Nvidia did not want to do it for this gen stating it was more hassle than it was worth. Intel have never offered themselves to a console manufacture or anybody for that matter so I'd say they were a none entity. IBM with power pc would be the other option.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2013, 11:34   #19
andrew8200m
All of the hilarious

andrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyanandrew8200m is a Super Spamming Saiyan
5.7% if the math is done correctly it seems...

Ouch.
andrew8200m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2013, 16:20   #20
true_gamer
Cheesecake on sale!

true_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyantrue_gamer is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Being fully supported by PCI-E 3.0 I wonder if there will be any increase in performance with multi card setups?

If all problems are fixed from that of the Skt1155 Ivy bridge - I'm sold!
i7 3930K @ 4.7GHz - ASUS Rampage IV Formula - 16GB Corsair 2400MHz 10 12 12 31 - 3x EVGA GTX 670 F.T.W 4GB Tri SLI with AquagraFX waterblocks Cores: 1306MHz Memory's: 7114MHz - 128GB OCZ Vector SSD - 2TB WD Black Caviar - CM Cosmos RC1000 - Silverstone Strider 1KW - Samsung DVD/RW - Custom Waterloop - 3x Dell U2311H Monitors
ORIGIN username: wipeyourarse - Steam ID: true_gamer - UPLAY ID: true_gamer

My Crysis 3 Ultra Config My Crysis 1 ultra Config
true_gamer is offline   Reply With Quote