bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Modding > Project Logs

Old 28th Apr 2013, 07:00   #1
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.
Saint Louis Cardinals theme case! - COMPLETE! 6/11

A Mod for my Wife!! She is a Mega Fan!

The case I'm using is the Fractal Design Arc Midi

I need to tear it down for painting. The first to go is one of the drive bay cages. I will not be putting it back in either because I'll only have two drives and there's room on the bottom

Next, comes everything else that's not part of the base steel frame

Can you believe this thick filter was on the top? Why the hell would they use such a thick filter over an exhaust fan??

The front comes off too with it's lone fan

There she is....the frame

I start painting with a light red coat

The front and top mesh pieces are painted white

and the front and top panels are painted red

Once dry, I reassemble the top without the thick mesh filter

The front will obviously have a mesh filter, so that's where I start

There will be two 140mm intake fans

under the completed bezel

I need to paint the panel controls and ports area too

And put it back on the case

Once the frame is dry, all the fans and accessories go back in

Now that the top panel and front bezel are on, they go back on the case

I added a matching DVD burner

The right panel finally gets its top coat

MountainMods U2-UFO with an Intel i7 5960x (8-Core), Asus X99 Deluxe, 32GB (4GB x 8) DDR4, 960GB Crucial M500, 240GB Sandisk Extreme, Corsair AX1500i 80 Titanium, Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti, a Corsair H80i and 15 Green LED Coolmax fans!
TheGreatSatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2013, 09:33   #2
Kovoet
I Mod, Therefore I Own

Kovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming SaiyanKovoet is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Looking go so far. What size logo you going to use
MOBO[ Asus Maximus Formula VI ]CPU[I7 4770K]RAM[Corsair Vengeance PRO Red 2133mhz]SSD's[1TB Samsung EVO, 256GB Samsung, 128GB Mushkin, 128 GT Corsair]GPU[Gainward GTX770 Sli]PSU[Corsair AX1200i Red Cables]SOUND[Creative soundblaster ZX E22 backplate]CASE[Corsair 540] Cooler[Corsair H100i]Screen[Dell U2913WM} Perp[Corsair K70, Logitech GS500S,Belkin razer N52TE,QPAD QH90]
Kovoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2013, 19:34   #3
flame696
Terminating People Since 1980....

flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.
Great work always look forward to your builds. Have a few questions regarding paint,

1. How many coats do you apply?
2. Do you wet sand in between coats?
3. Also do you use lacquer??

Only need to know as you paint finish is always fantastic
Old 28th Apr 2013, 23:36   #4
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.TheGreatSatan is definitely a rep cheat.
This new paint has paint and primer in one, so three.
Yes, about 2000 grit
No
MountainMods U2-UFO with an Intel i7 5960x (8-Core), Asus X99 Deluxe, 32GB (4GB x 8) DDR4, 960GB Crucial M500, 240GB Sandisk Extreme, Corsair AX1500i 80 Titanium, Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti, a Corsair H80i and 15 Green LED Coolmax fans!
Old 29th Apr 2013, 04:56   #5
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

I just slapped a BIG decal on the right side because that's what the wifey wants.

It looks good anyway

and then I started painting left side and ran out paint!!

Old 29th Apr 2013, 06:24   #6
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

I intend to use the other 5.25 bay for a light controller. The NZXT Hue is great little toy, but it's not gonna match like this

So I strip it down to the core components

The top piece, which is the largest will be white. The under layer will be red, when I get more paint...

Old 29th Apr 2013, 19:58   #7
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

I got the Specs lined up:

i5 3570K

Asrock Z77 Extreme 6

EVGA GTX 580 DS Superclocked

8GB DDR3-1866 Corsair Dominator Platinum & OCZ Vertex 3 240GB

Corsair H110 Cooler

Old 29th Apr 2013, 22:53   #8
flame696

flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.flame696 is definitely a rep cheat.
does the paint not chip and will it be durable without lacquer? Sorry for the questions.... Lovely build though
Old 29th Apr 2013, 22:57   #9
GregTheRotter
I Mod, Therefore I Own

GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GregTheRotter is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Why the 580? Did you have it sitting spare?
Old 30th Apr 2013, 00:40   #10
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

I did have a spare. My wife will use this machine maybe once a week for an hour tops to print coupons!! I thought a 580 would be hilarious!

Should I have given it away here instead??

I never do a clear coat. I've never had a problem with the paint chipping and shiny cases don't do it for me
Old 1st May 2013, 01:23   #11
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

I picked up some more red paint for the mesh

And then reassembled the panel

Then I painted some thumb screws to match

Now the bays are back together

Old 1st May 2013, 13:09   #12
DraC_01
What's a Dremel?

DraC_01 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Can I just say, awesome paint job, what kind of spray paint did you use? Automotive? And if you do sell that 580, I'd be more than happy to buy it, could sli it in my bro's comp
DraC_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2013, 01:09   #13
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

I got an awesome deal on it - $212!!
Old 6th May 2013, 04:13   #14
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

I put the balls on the knobs

I don't know if I like it, what do you think?

I want an STL logo on the front of the case and tried ordering it through a metal cutter. The problem is that it's a copyrighted symbol and no one will cut it for me!

So, here I go:

I slowly widdle it away

Till it's done

I just have to strip, sand, paint, and then mount it

Old 7th May 2013, 02:40   #15
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
Not so sure about the base ball knobs (that just sounds sooo wrong ) They're definitely different but really stand out, S'pose you could graduate them 0 to 11 (that a whole one louder than 10)... Nice colours on the case though...

Current Project : BITZA
Asouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 08:50   #16
KrunchR
Supermodder

KrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitKrunchR is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Yeah, I would lose the baseballs. Paint looks good.

But my KnuckleDuster makes a Return!

For sale! lian li pc7
KrunchR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2013, 20:17   #17
flame696

+1 on losing the baseballs. I think they are a bit big and just over powers the fan controller. If they were smaller they might look good
Old 9th May 2013, 02:58   #18
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

I agree, the knobs are going. I'm gonna order one more and turn them into case feet instead.
Old 9th May 2013, 03:02   #19
Asouter
--------

Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.Asouter is definitely a rep cheat.
What would they look like cut in half ? they'd not stand out as much

Current Project : BITZA
Asouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2013, 15:23   #20
TheGreatSatan
Dark Lord of BT!

They would still be just as wide

View Mode