bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 29th Apr 2013, 12:13   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Lightpack lighting system seeks crowd funds

Kickstarter bid for open-hardware Ambilight.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...29/lightpack/1
Gareth Halfacree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2013, 13:22   #2
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Looks irritating, whether in Philips form or open source.
Old 29th Apr 2013, 14:46   #3
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I can see how some people may really enjoy this. I think it'd work particularly well with larger screens where viewing them in a dark room is much harder to do. I feel like it'd help give a sense of peripheral vision, which would make the experience feel more immersible. Peripheral vision is basically non-existent on a regular screen.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2013, 14:51   #4
John_T
Supermodder

John_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the DremelJohn_T has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I think that looks utterly fantastic! I reckon that really would ease eyestrain, and so negate the (my) need for additional low lighting.

I've bookmarked their page, and assuming they go into production and sell for (roughly) their quoted price, I'll be buying their product.

Brilliant!
John_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2013, 14:58   #5
CarlT2001
Supermodder

CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.CarlT2001 is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I have a couple of cyborg gaming lights for my PC which are similar. It really does enhance the viewing experience. Great idea. I will buy some for my TV when they are available.
CarlT2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2013, 15:45   #6
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
I have an Ikea LED strip on the back of my monitor, means i can game in the dark without a) eye strain or b) reflections on the screen. Cost a tenner.
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2013, 15:47   #7
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
I use white LED light strips behind my TV. Eases eye strain without pissing me off by looking like a silly lava lamp behind my TV.

Sorry, rant over. That light show would really bother me. It's making me rage actually. Badly. Like some kind of hypnotic rage inducer. RAAAGE.
Old 29th Apr 2013, 16:04   #8
suragh
Derp

suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.suragh is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
I use white LED light strips behind my TV. Eases eye strain without pissing me off by looking like a silly lava lamp behind my TV.

Sorry, rant over. That light show would really bother me. It's making me rage actually. Badly. Like some kind of hypnotic rage inducer. RAAAGE.
Just what I was thinking.

I might invest in a strip for the back of my desk.
Old 29th Apr 2013, 16:33   #9
Phil Rhodes
Hypernobber

Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.Phil Rhodes is a hoopy frood who really knows where their towel is.
I could see it in a club, maybe, but it strikes me as a bit gimmicky at home.
Phil Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2013, 17:25   #10
WildThing
Hypermodder

WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.WildThing is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yeah seems like a bit of a gimmick. Maybe they'll improve it over time, but for now most of the time the colours didn't even match up for me. Also, I found that the lighting accentuated the massive black bezel of the TV screen which further ruined the immersion.
Asus P8P67 PRO Intel i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz Titan Fenrir XFX 6950 @ 6970 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 2x Crucial C300 128GB (OS + Games) Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Auzentech XFI-Prelude + Creative T7700 7.1 Enermax Liberty 500W Corsair 650D case HP 24" LP2475W Win7 x64
WildThing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2013, 20:23   #11
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Looks very interesting. I won't be buying it though. I can't think what it's be like while my monitor isn't against the wall.
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2013, 21:41   #12
LordPyrinc
Legomaniac

LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.LordPyrinc is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
It seems very distracting to me. As the color morphs and the light alters shape, i found my eyes wandering to the edges of the screen instead of focusing on the screen content. I typically watch HD movies in the dark with one or two low level ambient sources of light in the room (nowhere near the tv). A consistent low level glow behind the screen would likely be fine (maybe red as opposed to white), but I would pass on a constantly shifting light.

Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz - Windows7 64bit
2 x 150GB WD VelociRaptor HDs (RAID 0) - 1TB WD 7200 rpm HD - 60GB OCZ SSD - 1TB WD External USB HD
2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 2GB Superclocked (Dual SLI) - Razer BlackWidow Ultimate KB
Cooler Master HAF 922 - Antec 850W TruePower Quattro - 27" Samsung S27B550 LED Display
LordPyrinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Apr 2013, 22:34   #13
Glix
Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Glix has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Yes, make quake even better with more brown! Rage here I come.

/sarcasm because it's the internetz.
Glix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2013, 02:57   #14
tad2008
Supermodder

tad2008 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
On a screen with a thick bezel this seems distracting to me, a screen with a thin or no bezel would probably work really well with this.
tad2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2013, 08:32   #15
Apoptosis
Modder

Apoptosis has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Works if your television sits in front of a wall, alas mine is swivel-mounted. I can see the appeal, though.
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adalight, ambient lighting, ambilight, crowdfunding, kickstarter, lightpack, mike sannikov, monitor, open hardware, open source, prismatik