bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 8th May 2013, 11:55   #1
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
EA ceases all gun-brand licence deals

Decides its use of trademarks is 'fair use.'
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...ea-gun-brand/1
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 11:56   #2
bowman
Supermodder

bowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremelbowman has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Uh

Colt and Bushmaster are two separate brands.. but whatever.
bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 12:00   #3
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman View Post
Colt and Bushmaster are two separate brands.. but whatever.
Whoopsie - my mistake. I'll go and fix that now, ta.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:12   #4
sotu1
Ex-Modder

sotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on yousotu1 - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
You can buy a Sniper Rifle in the US?! What kind of self defense argument is there to own a Sniper Rifle?!
Old 8th May 2013, 12:22   #5
damien c
Mad FPS Gamer

damien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyandamien c is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1
You can buy a Sniper Rifle in the US?! What kind of self defense argument is there to own a Sniper Rifle?!
It's just like those people who have anti air artilery in the back garden.

We are though talking about a country that allows a 5 year old to shoot guns, and be able to kill his sister with that gun.

Civilians do not need Sniper Rifles or Assault Rifles etc but since the American Goverment seems to think that mass shootings are not a problem, it will never change.

Article about 5 year old from The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/vide...er-rifle-video

Quote:
The children's uncle, David Mann, described the accident as 'something you can't prepare for'

Sorry but it can be prepared for by not giving a 5 year old a gun let alone a loaded gun.
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 12:36   #6
stanonwheels
What's a Dremel?

stanonwheels has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Doesn't everyone prefer crazy made up guns anyway? The AR2's way more satisfying to fire than some generic call of duty thing with a name like a fridge/freezer.
stanonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 12:37   #7
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotu1 View Post
You sure can: costs about the same as a small car, but still. Hell, it's perfectly legal to buy and sell fully-automatic sub-machineguns and machineguns, providing they were manufactured and registered prior to the National Firearms Act 1986. That's how come people can own GE Miniguns, as seen on Mythbusters. The people with the truck? They're not military - they're civilians who picked up a Minigun registered prior to the NFA.
Old 8th May 2013, 12:41   #8
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Not that you should need an argument, but you'd buy a precise long ranged rifle for hunting or sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
We are though talking about a country that allows a 5 year old to shoot guns, and be able to kill his sister with that gun.
Pretty sure killing children is still illegal... overexhaggerate much?

Quote:
Civilians do not need Sniper Rifles or Assault Rifles etc but since the American Goverment seems to think that mass shootings are not a problem, it will never change.
How many of the recent mass shootings were done with "sniper rifles" or "assault rifles"?

Oh god what am I doing it's another gun law discussion on a tech site.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 13:04   #9
Sheiken
Wat?

Sheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitSheiken is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
Quote:
Not that you should need an argument, but you'd buy a precise long ranged rifle for hunting or sport.

Quote:
Pretty sure killing children is still illegal... overexhaggerate much?

Quote:
How many of the recent mass shootings were done with "sniper rifles" or "assault rifles"?

Hmmmm. Your username tells me that you are completely unbiased.
Old 8th May 2013, 13:16   #10
modfx
Loft Gremlin

modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!modfx - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Does this mean that Valve have always refused to pay up? I've always wondered why the CS guns have different name.
Modified Silverstone Temjin TJ-07B - Core i7 920 - Asus Rampage II Extreme - 3x2Gb Corsair Dominator 1600MHz - GTX570 - 9600GT - 128GB Crucial M4 - 1tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 - Corsair HX1000W -Win 7 HP 64 bit - Samsung 206BW
modfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 13:21   #11
blacko
Multimodder

blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.blacko is definitely a rep cheat.
from a gamining POV this may mean we get more weapons in games.......

hurahhh
blacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 13:27   #12
dactone
dact-one

dactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremeldactone has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
This thread escalated away from the subject quickly :/
Old 8th May 2013, 13:46   #13
aramil
Keeping it Kerbal.....

aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.aramil is definitely a rep cheat.

System: Intel i5 3570K delidded CLU @ 4.6Ghz | Asus Stabertooth Z77 (2003) | Asus GTX560-TI Direct cuII | OCZ Agility 3 120Gb | Samsung 1Tb F2 | WD 500Gb | Corsair 750TX v2 | 8Gb (2x4) Corsair Vengence | Corsair K90 Keyboard | XSPC-Raystorm-750-RS2400 (2 X Akasa viper) | Casecom 5288 | Samsung LS24B300HL / LE46C750 | Windows 10 64bit | Audio: Linn Classik & Keilidh Speakers
aramil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 13:51   #14
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by modfx View Post
Does this mean that Valve have always refused to pay up? I've always wondered why the CS guns have different name.
Yes and no: Counter-Strike started off life as a third-party mod for Half-Life, created by a bunch of modders and released for free. Clearly, nobody was going to front up a few thousand for a licence in that case, so they went for the age-old approach of using recognisable-yet-not-clearly-trademark-infringing designations for the weapons. When Valve picks up the developers and turns it into a real product, the old names stick - partly because fans would complain if things were suddenly called something else, and partly, I'm sure, because that way Valve saves some cash and doesn't get splashed all over the papers as providing funding to arms manufacturers (see EA et al.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacko View Post
from a gamining POV this may mean we get more weapons in games.
I always used to love it when you picked up a game in a shop, turned the box over and saw the bullet point (how appropriate) which read "OVER TWELVE WEAPONS!" So, that'd be thirteen weapons, then?
Old 8th May 2013, 14:10   #15
lacuna
Supermodder

lacuna has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
Quote:

Sandy Hook. How many more do you need?
lacuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 14:27   #16
DragunovHUN
Go ahead, spell my name wrong.

DragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming SaiyanDragunovHUN is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacuna View Post
Sandy Hook. How many more do you need?
http://www.ijreview.com/2013/01/3020...town-shooting/

Even if he had used the rifle, all reports mention an AR-15 "style" "assault weapon" which is just a semi-auto, not an assault rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheiken View Post
Hmmmm. Your username tells me that you are completely unbiased.
Yes, I have some experience in the subject matter, that kinda comes in handy when arguing about something, wouldn't you agree? For one thing I know what the legal definitions are for various weapon types in the US. "Assault weapon" has no real meaning, it's just a media buzz word that describes a scary military-looking firearm regardless of its function.

gog.com - Classic videogames, Windows 7 compatible, no DRM, bundled extras, outstanding service. Check it out, get hooked, spread the word!
DragunovHUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 15:01   #17
Shirty
V BURN MY EYES V

Shirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming SaiyanShirty is a Super Spamming Saiyan
All weapons used in anger are by definition 'assault weapons'.

/pedantry
Old 8th May 2013, 15:46   #18
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirty
All weapons used in anger are by definition 'assault weapons'.
Really? What does being angry have to do with it? (I'm being pedantic too)

I think you are deliberately confusing two linked but slightly different meanings, one is "Make a physical attack on. Make a physical or verbal attack on someone" while the other is "A military attack, such as one launched against a fortified area or place. The concluding stage of an attack in which close combat occurs with the enemy."

You can 'assault' someone with a large inflatable banana, but inflatable bananas make poor 'assault weapons' if engaged in a military assault.

If a military commander ordered his troops to launch an assault on an defended building, he's not asking them to go up to it and kick it about a bit.

And don't get me started on discussing whether or not assault is a verb or a noun as it's very clear that the answer is 'yes'.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 15:47   #19
schmidtbag
Hypermodder

schmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youschmidtbag - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
You can't quite generalize buying guns in the US because you can't buy a sniper just anywhere you want. I prefer to think of the country as more of 5 or 6 separate countries under 1 name - mostly in a cultural perspective. Many of the negative stereotypes only apply to the southern and mid-western states (and Alaska). The southern states are where it's the easiest to buy a gun. You can go to Wal Mart and buy a gun there. As far as I'm aware, you don't need a license to buy most guns down there, just an ID. In some areas, it's uncommon to find a household that doesn't have one. However, in a state like Massachusetts, where I'm from, it's the complete opposite. You'll be lucky if you can even own a handgun, and you need a license for pepper spray - a relatively expensive license. Interestingly, MA has some nasty crimes due to the fact that criminals know people have no way of defending themselves.

Anyways more on topic, while I hate EA, I think it's a shame they had to be accused of such things. I don't think creating a fictional weapon is going to make a teenager (who, according to the ratings, shouldn't be playing most of these games anyway) less inclined to buy a gun if he really felt like it, just as much as violent video games are as unlikely to encourage a kid to shoot up a school.

Last edited by schmidtbag; 8th May 2013 at 15:52.
schmidtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2013, 15:54   #20
ev1lm1nd666
Multimodder

ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!ev1lm1nd666 - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
This is simply EA saying F U, If you want more money, come take us to court. Now if it were Activision doing this first I bet there could be a court battle pretty quickly based on how many Remington branded guns there were in MW3 for instance...

There will only be an issue if all the gun makers band together to push this through the courts otherwise I can't see this going anywhere...

As for the whole U.S.A.+ guns argument, easy way to solve the issue, force everyone applying for a gun licence to sit an IQ test before hand, at the very least, it'll stop idiots buying them legally.

I have one question for the (other) pro gun nuts, why in the name of all that is (un)holy do hunters need a .50 Cal anti-materiel rifle for deer hunting? I mean, did all the deer line up nicely so they could kill em all with a single bullet? :}

Tags
battlefield, battlefield 3, bell helicopter, call of duty, copyright, ea, firearms, frank gibeau, goldeneye, gun, gun control guns, legal, licensing, medal of honor