bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 10th May 2013, 18:27   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Sony i1 20-megapixel phone details leaked

Sony's upcoming flagship phone looks set to have a 20mp camera with xenon flash.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...tails-leaked/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 20:01   #2
greigaitken
Supermodder

greigaitken has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I'd much rather have the hp one 4mp sensor, so the pics aren't all filled with noise., i bet the sony one is way more blurry too.
greigaitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 20:09   #3
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Except the HTC One actually has rubbish image quality. Galaxy S4 wipes the floor with it.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:31   #4
t.y.wan
What's a Dremel?

t.y.wan has yet to learn the way of the Dremelt.y.wan has yet to learn the way of the Dremelt.y.wan has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
With those spec, it's going to EXPENSIVE. and I really hope they don't screw up the software side, again...
t.y.wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 22:01   #5
alf-
Multimodder

alf- has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Glad i didn't buy the Xperia z now, don't get me wrong its still an impressive phone, but surely its going to irritate people who spent sizable money on the flagship Xperia z, only for Sony to release another flagship model 6 months later.
alf- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 22:51   #6
thom804
Multimodder

thom804 has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Looks like the lineup is getting more interesting for me once my contracts up then. I was definitely going to plump for the new nexus, but now, i'm not so sure...
Asus P67 Sabertooth // Intel 2500k @4.6ghz // 8gb Corsair Vengeance @1600 // XFX 7870 2GB DD edition // 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD // 2 x 1TB Samsung F3 HDD // Gelid Tranquillo // Corsair HX 750w PSU // Silverstone FT02B-W
thom804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 23:00   #7
Snips
I can do dat, giz a job

Snips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming SaiyanSnips is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Except the current Lumia 920 would probably out perform it and the new 928 due out in weeks would also put them all to bed.

Are we reviewing Smartphones now? So where's the Nokia Lumia 520 review as it was released today and you can pick one up for £99 PAYG, now that's a cheap droid killer right there!
Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 23:17   #8
play_boy_2000
Ultramodder

play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.play_boy_2000 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Hooray for pointless features. 20MP on an APS-C sensor is approaching the boundary of usefulness, never mind a 1/2.5" sensor.
Asus P8P67
Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD + 1TB x6 (4.54TB formatted) Raid5 on RocketRaid 2680
play_boy_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2013, 23:44   #9
sakzzz
Multimodder

sakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremelsakzzz has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Most cellphones have camera sensors developed/sold by sony themselves.
Old 11th May 2013, 01:20   #10
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
As interesting as the rest of the specs are, what the hell is the point in a 20MP sensor in a phone? I'm annoyed enough with 8MP and having to resize everything multiple times. I'd much rather see a sensor with an amazing image quality than one which just packs more pixels.

I mean seriously, 20MP only makes sense really in the realm of DSLRs etc. where the lens and sensor sizes can actually handle that kind of resolution without the picture looking like it was produced by toddler using the spray tool in paint.
Maki role is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 03:08   #11
m0ngy
Banned

m0ngy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role
I'm annoyed enough with 8MP and having to resize everything multiple times.
Yeah, huge problem... and the standard circa 1996 was best, love those postage stamp size holiday pics, doh! Takes 10 seconds to resize in Photoshop dude, and if you don't know how then start teaching yourself, like yesterday. It's 2013 man, you should just know this stuff as a matter of course, the way your grandpa knew how to hang a door, fix a leaky roof, or clear a blocked drain. While you're at it, try experimenting with image levels (ctrl+l), or Image>Adjustment>Levels...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf- View Post
Glad i didn't buy the Xperia z now, don't get me wrong its still an impressive phone, but surely its going to irritate people who spent sizable money on the flagship Xperia z, only for Sony to release another flagship model 6 months later.
Imo, people who bought the Xperia Z jumped in too early. I was seriously looking at it myself as a replacement for the iPhone4, but when you compare the Sony's TFT screen to the absolutely stunning, crystal clarity and vibrant colour reproduction of the One's IPS display, well, there's just no way.

Last edited by m0ngy; 11th May 2013 at 03:23.
m0ngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 14:36   #12
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.Maki role is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy View Post
Yeah, huge problem... and the standard circa 1996 was best, love those postage stamp size holiday pics, doh! Takes 10 seconds to resize in Photoshop dude, and if you don't know how then start teaching yourself, like yesterday. It's 2013 man, you should just know this stuff as a matter of course, the way your grandpa knew how to hang a door, fix a leaky roof, or clear a blocked drain. While you're at it, try experimenting with image levels (ctrl+l), or Image>Adjustment>Levels...
Wow that was a mature response. Thanks for the Photoshop lesson though, I probably needed that when I was what, 8 or something? I simply find it aggravating having to go through 100+ photos and resize them all so I can post them online. I absolutely hate it when people post full res pictures in their logs here, it actually prevents me from going into their projects. Why? My Internet can handle it fine, but I like to browse a lot of the time on my iPad. Seeing pictures resizing themselves for a good five minutes just puts me right off. That's why I always resize then link to the high-res one, makes for much easier reading.

20MP is purely a gimmick in a phone. A proper camera, no, but on something that can in no way fully capitalise on the resolution it is pointless, just makes handling/storing the photos more of a hassle.
Old 11th May 2013, 16:00   #13
Tangster
Butt-kicking for goodness!

Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.Tangster is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role View Post
Wow that was a mature response. Thanks for the Photoshop lesson though, I probably needed that when I was what, 8 or something? I simply find it aggravating having to go through 100+ photos and resize them all so I can post them online. I absolutely hate it when people post full res pictures in their logs here, it actually prevents me from going into their projects. Why? My Internet can handle it fine, but I like to browse a lot of the time on my iPad. Seeing pictures resizing themselves for a good five minutes just puts me right off. That's why I always resize then link to the high-res one, makes for much easier reading.

20MP is purely a gimmick in a phone. A proper camera, no, but on something that can in no way fully capitalise on the resolution it is pointless, just makes handling/storing the photos more of a hassle.
You can use the Photoshop image processor to resize images in a batch. File>Scripts>image processor.
Uni Box:i7 2700K@5.3GHz|EK Supreme LT+Coolstream XT 360|16GB HyperX DDR3@1866MHz|EVGA GTX780 ti+EK FC780ti|MSI P67A-GD55||M5 512|BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 750W|U3011|Raven RV-02E|KBT Pure+Perixx MX2000 + Intuos 4M
Audio: PC->TosLink->TEAC UD-H01->Schiit Asgard-> Fostex TH600|InEar LivePro 3|Truth B2030A Monitors
BT Feedback
Tangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 16:14   #14
Maki role
Dale you're on a roll...

Don't worry I understand that, it's more of the fact that you end up with 2/3/4 copies of the same image. That's just a pet peeve of mine, have the same issue with multiple compression quality images. Having a some in jpg, others as a vector file or png kinda gets to me, even when they're all neatly stacked in separate volumes for ease of navigation.
Old 11th May 2013, 20:54   #15
rayson
turningthatintosomethingb ettercmod

rayson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
hopefully it is more than just an increase in megapixel count. most of all i want improved low light performance
rayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 20:57   #16
rayson
turningthatintosomethingb ettercmod

rayson has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanmotion View Post
Except the HTC One actually has rubbish image quality. Galaxy S4 wipes the floor with it.
true, the one doesn't have an impressive camera. but i don't think that the s4 wipes the floor compared to it.
rayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 05:32   #17
m0ngy
Banned

m0ngy has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
20MP is purely a gimmick in a phone.
You do realize you can use the camera settings to take higher or lower res images, right? I think you're just having a whine, personally.
m0ngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 11:12   #18
fodder
Multimodder

fodder has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
20MP will allow for some nifty tricks like a high speed multiple shot mode at 5mp etc.

The main concern for me would be Sony's approach to software - closed and poor update support.
fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 12:36   #19
Cobalt
Supermodder

Cobalt has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngy
Quote:
20MP is purely a gimmick in a phone.
You do realize you can use the camera settings to take higher or lower res images, right? I think you're just having a whine, personally.
You know those pixels don't come for free right? Cramming more pixels into the same tiny space isn't the automatic improvement you seem to think it is. Go look at Cannon or Nikon product pages for their top end DSLRs. They have sensors that are an order of magnitude larger than what you get in a phone. There is a reason few of them go above 24MP
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 13:00   #20
Meanmotion
bleh

To all those deriding the idea of 20MP cameras. While you're not wrong to be somewhat sceptical. The S4 does prove that there is some merit in more megapixels.
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/921...e5-vs-lumia920