bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 22nd May 2013, 14:24   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
GIF pronounced 'jif', and don't you forget it!

The inventor of the GIF, Steve Wilhite, has firmly stated that it should be pronounced 'jif'.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2013/05...end-of-story/1
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:43   #2
The_Crapman
MD of M.Z.A. Inc and Weasel Pimp

The_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming SaiyanThe_Crapman is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Ballaches! Who in their right mind pronounces it 'jif'. Get lost old man. You've got your award and some time back in the spotlight, so put your poo stirring stick away. Why don't you disappear into the ether again and remain forgotten like everyone else who's actually done something and leave the limelight to people who worked hard at being famous for doing nothing of any real significance, like steve jobs.

How to Get a FREE (sort of) Hard Drive and Other Small Parts
The_Crapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:45   #3
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Go home, Steve "While-Hit-ee", you're drunk!
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:45   #4
Spreadie
http://goo.gl/vNwEky

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
GIF... Guh. IF

No point in waiting decades before trying to correct people. Foolish man. Go home and play with your spring :P

2500K|Z77E-ITX|8GB|680|3007WFP-HC|DS Cube
Spreadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:46   #5
Jaybles
Hypermodder

Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!Jaybles - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Urm... I do. Everyone has been pulling me up on it. And now I'M RIGHT!
i7 950 @ 3.8 1.192v|Noctua NH-U12P SE2|Asus P6X58D-E|12 GB DDR3 1600|1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3|Samsung 830 64GB|XFX Double D R7950|Asus Xonar DG|Antec Quattro 850w|Bitfenix Colossus|Dell U2311H|Dell E173FP
Steam|PSN:nythraln
Jaybles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:47   #6
Spreadie

Spreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming SaiyanSpreadie is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybles View Post
Nah. Now, you're just as wrong as him

Old 22nd May 2013, 14:52   #7
CrapBag
I Mod, Therefore I Own

CrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming SaiyanCrapBag is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Is it a Jif or a jpg......my brain hurts.

CrapBag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:52   #8
faugusztin
I *am* the guy with two left hands

faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.faugusztin is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybles View Post
Let me quote something i found just now :
Quote:
It's JIF, as my old jirlfriend used to tell me, on our way to the jarage to get the VW Jolf and drive to Jarden City.
Oh and you do pronounce JPEG aj JPEJ ?
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:54   #9
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
No point in waiting decades before trying to correct people. Foolish man.
He hasn't waited decades - he's been telling people it's pronounced jif for years. Take this page, for example, created in 2001. Ever since CompuServe went live with the spec in 1987 its creators have been pronouncing it 'jif.' It's just the rest of the world who disagreed - and Steve Wilhite's been shouting into the void ever since. It's only now that he's got an award that the news agencies have picked up on the 'controversy' and are treating it like he'd never said it before...
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Let me quote something i found just now :
Quote:
It's JIF, as my old jirlfriend used to tell me, on our way to the jarage to get the VW Jolf and drive to Jarden City.
Amusing, but proves nothing: do you say g-iraffe, or jiraffe? G-ee or jee? G-eneral or jeneral?

Don't get me wrong, I see the logic in it being the "graphics" interchange format, and therefore g-if - but acronyms are rarely pronounced according to their individual words. Take NASA: the first A is aeronautics - an 'eh' noise. You don't say 'NEHSA,' though. You say NASA. Nor do you say 'arrownautics.' Frankly, the inventor can say it's pronounced 'Jeffry' if he wants to - it's his creation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin View Post
Oh and you do pronounce JPEG aj JPEJ ?
By that logic, we should all be pronouncing JPEG as "jayfeg." After all, the P is for "Photographic," so if the G in GIF has to be a hard G to match "Graphics," the P in JPEG has to be an F sound to match "Photographic."

Last edited by Gareth Halfacree; 22nd May 2013 at 15:04.
Gareth Halfacree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:03   #10
Spreadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
He hasn't waited decades - he's been telling people it's pronounced jif for years. Take this page, for example, created in 2001.
He ain't very good at shouting is he? It's still far too late, you could publicise it everywhere and people won't change now.

Besides, the first letter represents the word "Graphics", not "Jraphics"; which sounds a lot like a long necked quadruped, also spelt with a G.

Old 22nd May 2013, 15:07   #11
MjFrosty
Hypermodder

MjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on youMjFrosty - may the hammer of Bindi be bestowed on you
We're not wrong though, Steve. It begins with G. People don't say things out loud on the internet.

Congratulations on your life time achievement award for domestic surface cleaner.
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:08   #12
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Gareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming SaiyanGareth Halfacree is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
Besides, the first letter represents the word "Graphics", not "Jraphics";
And, as I have pointed out, the second letter of JPEG represents the word "Photographic" not "P-otographic," so we should be pronouncing JPEG as "jayfeg" if we're applying that kind of logic to the matter.
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:12   #13
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
I use a G. I will continue to do thus. I will continue to look at people funny when describe a graphic as Jiff, which I still associate with a cleaning product. That is all.
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:32   #14
Guinevere
Mega Mom

Guinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming SaiyanGuinevere is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree View Post
And, as I have pointed out, the second letter of JPEG represents the word "Photographic" not "P-otographic," so we should be pronouncing JPEG as "jayfeg" if we're applying that kind of logic to the matter.
No! "P" is never pronounced "F". "PH" can be. So JPEG cannot be pronounced JPHEG!

Sheesh...

GIF is pronounced GIF with a hard "G". Same as girl, gigaflop, gift, gimp, give, girth, giggle, giddy, gizmo, gills and git.

If he'd really wanted it to be pronounced 'jif' and cared so much about then he should have come up with a different acronym not one open to ambiguity.

End. Of.

But we can't blame the guy. His name is Steve Wilhite... which is too close to "Steve Will Hate" and "Steve Gob Shite" for my tastes.

Time to move on everyone. Popular usage eclipses legacy use. Take the Tourism Federation of Wisconsin who had to change their name from the Wisconsin Tourism Federation and drop their WTF acronym and logo. True story.
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:34   #15
mi1ez
Game Boy Modder

mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!mi1ez - it's over 9000!!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
GIF is pronounced GIF with a hard "G". Same as girl, gigaflop, gift, gimp, give, girth, giggle, giddy, gills and git.
And where do Giraffes feature?
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:37   #16
Phalanx
Needs more dragons and stuff.

Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.Phalanx is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez View Post
As another misspelled word.
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:37   #17
jinq-sea
#BBERG

jinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyanjinq-sea is a Super Spamming Saiyan
or generators (or should that be jenerators?)

Keyboards, various. (More than I have hands and feet...)
i7-3770K // P8Z77-I Deluxe // 8Gb Ballistix // 770 // 256Gb M4 // 250D // AX850 // 3008WFP // 2i2 // Rokit 5 G2
jinq-sea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:41   #18
Gareth Halfacree
WIIGII!
bit-tech Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
GIF is pronounced GIF with a hard "G". Same as girl, gigaflop, gift, gimp, give, girth, giggle, giddy, gills and git.
Precisely. Plus gist, giant, gigantic, ginseng, ginger and gingerly. Fun fact: there are two Gs in the English Language: the soft G, and the hard G. Your list of words uses the hard G; my list of words uses the soft G. Note that there's no way of knowing which is which from the spelling.

The fact remains: GIF is a soft G, and as a result is pronounced "jif" and (were it an actual word, rather than an acronym) would be in my list, not yours.
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:46   #19
kenco_uk
I unsuccessfully then tried again

kenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyankenco_uk is a Super Spamming Saiyan
Now I understand why Jif had to rebrand to Cif.
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:49   #20
lava
Multimodder

lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.lava is definitely a rep cheat.
Majority rules with this, gif more commonly used than jif. Heard a few people use jif before but the first time i heard it i wondered what the hell they were going on about.