bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > bit-tech.net > Article Discussion

Old 25th May 2013, 16:34   #1
Meanmotion
bleh

Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.Meanmotion is definitely a rep cheat.
Donít be fooled by Laptop CPUs

Laptop CPUs have names with big numbers that sound just like their desktop counterparts, but don't be fooled...
http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2013/05...y-laptop-cpus/
Meanmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 17:47   #2
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Yup, laptop processors (GPU and CPU) are far behind the performance of a desktop version. The model name just says the architecture. Although, sometimes (mostly GPUs) they are exceptions in that you get a previous generation architecture with the name of the current desktop architecture.

The big reason for the slow down, is the requirement that is needed to be done on the CPU to consume drastically less power, and reduce heat.

Another effect, is the OEM butchering, specially on the GPU side.
Many time OEMs uses older memory (DDR2 instead of DDR3 for example), and/or much slower memory than what the GPU is suppose to have. And also, many times they slow down the GPU.
They do this for a several reason: Keep cost down by using memory chips they already have, so that they don't get thrown away, and as for the GPU down-clock, reduce heat, or increase battery life, without actually upgrading the battery to something better, to again reduce cost (or maximize profit).

It is critical to check reviews on laptop, making sure you get what you are suppose to get.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:01   #3
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I am interested in benchmarking my Laptop against my PC... What benchmark suite would you recommend to not only test the CPU, but the GPU and then the whole system together? PCMark 8?
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit)
SchizoFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:30   #4
AiA
Multimodder

AiA has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog View Post
I am interested in benchmarking my Laptop against my PC... What benchmark suite would you recommend to not only test the CPU, but the GPU and then the whole system together? PCMark 8?
well custompc have there own that you can use
i think it does quiet a few things
and then you can use something like x3: demo for the graphics side

i think this is an old benchmark
http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/2009/10...nchmarks-here/
so they might have updated it since then
AiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:43   #5
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.SchizoFrog is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
I sure hope it's been updated, that download is dated 2007. lol
Thanks any way for the info, I'll wait to see what B-T suggest.
Old 25th May 2013, 18:43   #6
mystvearn
any-may

mystvearn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmystvearn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmystvearn has yet to learn the way of the Dremelmystvearn has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Smaller PC's will be the norm. Just look at the PC's on sale in Currys. Those Acer have small footprint. The only problem is I want to build a good gaming pc with a HTPC, in a case smaller than the BitFenix Prodigy, which seems impossible with off the shelf item. Something as big as the Alienware X51.

The only method I see is the use of AMD APU, A10 processor. Then you can sort of ditch the graphic card and put it in a very small case.
mystvearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:46   #7
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
I didn't realise they were quite that bad. I thought the i7 was still pretty nippy because it has hyperthreading, so performs well compared to desktop i3 and i5 parts. Apparently not!

Interesting, considering that geekbench shows i7 macs powering ahead of anything except i7 or above desktop machines. Then again, we've all known that's a totally inaccurate benchmark for a while...
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:48   #8
Yslen
Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.Yslen is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
It is the same benchmark suite used in 2007. It's a real-world benchmark though, so it's still perfectly valid. It's actually the most accurate set of benchmarks I've used, and I've tried most of them at one time or another.

Sorry for double post!
Asrock Z77e-ITX - Intel i5 3570k - Corsair H50-1 - G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133MHz - Gigabyte HD6870 - Crucial M4 - Samsung HDD - 530W ThermalTake SS PSU - Bitfenix Prodigy - LG IPS231P - NAOS 8200 - Poker II (Reds) - IBM Model M
Take a look at my Photography portfolio, here.
Yslen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:51   #9
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

OK, cheers Yslen...
Old 25th May 2013, 19:01   #10
RedFlames
is not KidMod

RedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming SaiyanRedFlames is a Super Spamming Saiyan
This also affects all-in-ones and some SFF PCs [also the non-'pro' Macs, though apple don't cut as many corners] as they use laptop and/or the ultra low-voltage parts to keep temperatures and the need for fans to a minimum...

RedFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 20:06   #11
Star*Dagger
Pan-Galactic Revolutionary

Star*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for presidentStar*Dagger should be considered for president
Any gamer could tell you this, NEVER EVER game on a laptop.

It will be a horrible experience, period.
Star*Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 20:12   #12
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
considering the performance you can get on a laptop these days if your willing to spend the cash its easily possible to get desktop level of performance.

sli 680m with top end intel cpu is faster than 90% of the people on here probably have.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 20:15   #13
rollo
I Mod, Therefore I Own

rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.rollo is definitely a rep cheat.
Also costs about £3000 but thats not the point you can get a good experience if you can afford it.
rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 20:16   #14
Hustler
Supermodder

Hustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for presidentHustler should be considered for president
Lol @ FX8150

I know that wasn't the point of this article, but......
Hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 20:39   #15
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

Rollo, I think you completely missed the point of this article. It wasn't comparing GPUs as it says CPU in the title and compares the difference between mobile and desktop products and how misleading they can be.

As for Star*Dagger, are you a dick on every article or just having a bad day?
Old 25th May 2013, 20:53   #16
jrs77
theorycrafting

jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.jrs77 is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
If you don't need a laptop for mobile computing, then a mITX-system will allways be the better choice.

Stop using your smartphone as much and look up!
jrs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 21:05   #17
MrJay
You are always where you want to be

MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.MrJay is definitely a rep cheat.
Guy at work chucked £1500 at an i7 Medion Gaming laptop with a 670MX His intent was to use it at home for ReconstructME which uses a Kinekt type camera to map 3D objects in space:

http://reconstructme.net/

He was bitterly disappointed with the performance. I did tell him i could spec+ Build a comparable computer that would do a better job for 1/3rd of the price but he was seduced by the marketing : (

HTPC Silverstone Milo - A4 -5300 APU Undervolted - Biostar HI-FI A85SC - 4GB Corsair Ram Overclocked to 1600mhz - 64GB Toshiba X-Gale SSD
MrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 21:08   #18
CowBlazed
Supermodder

CowBlazed has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
Laptops, especially the stuff coming out from Lenovo in the $800-$900 price range can make great mobile gaming rigs compared to a similar priced desktop. Sometimes you just need everything built in, but of course that will never get you the full computing experience as having a dedicated box with endless peripherals.
CowBlazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 21:23   #19
SchizoFrog
Ultramodder

Even if laptops can provide a good gaming experience you still have the issue though that they are not comparable to desktop components. Unless you NEED mobility, a small PC is definitely the way to go. Not to mention the fact that I and many others HATE using a laptop's keyboard.
Old 25th May 2013, 21:52   #20
Combatus
Custom PC/bit-tech modding sections

Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.Combatus is definitely a rep cheat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Hi SchizoFrog. As Yslen mentioned, our benchmark is a few years old but still scales well with faster hardware and uses real-world image editing and video editing programs, not synthetic tests, so you can definitely trust it!
Is the res loud, like, constantly making you need a piss loud?
Combatus is offline   Reply With Quote